“Good food, lots of locals, service could be better”

Mc P's Irish Pub & Grill
Ranked #23 of 101 Restaurants in Coronado
Cuisines: American, Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Chula Vista, California
“Good food, lots of locals, service could be better”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

McP's is a Coronado institution that's been there for years and is frequented by a lot of locals, including both active duty and retired Navy.

There's a small inside dining room adjacent to the bar, and a large outdoor seating area on a patio under some large shade trees. (Sun umbrellas are at each table, too.) Between the televisions and the bar patrons inside, it can get quite loud in the small space. Sitting outside is quieter.

I ordered the Reuben sandwich with potato salad ($11.95) and an iced tea ($2.50). The corned beef was tender and flavorful and piled about an inch high on the sandwich. The Russian / Thousand Island dressing is served on the side, so you can add it as you like. The potato salad was tasty as well without too much mayonaise on it.

My server was friendly and welcoming, and she took my order within 3 minutes of me seating myself (I had already read the menu at the door and knew what I was going to order). The food arrived 7 minutes later but was brought by the young man bussing tables.

My original server only checked on me once as I ate my meal to make sure that everything was okay. When she brought my check at the end, it took her about 10 minutes for her to return to pick up my credit card. Only then did she ask if I wanted more iced tea. Interestingly, it was the bus boy who returned my credit card to me and not my server.

All in all, it was a good meal in a pleasant atmosphere, and I'll likely return again.

• Visited September 2012

San Tan Valley, Arizona
“Very good fish and chips”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had fish and chips which was very tasty. The portion sizes of one plate were enough for 2 of us to share. My son loved his grilled cheese. It was nice and cool sitting outside under the umbrella's. It is dog friendly.

Visited September 2012
Vancouver, BC
“A horrible experience”
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

It looked like others were getting better service and decent food, howver, our experience was bad. It started with a hair in my beer, which, Ian not picky about but when my bowl of French Onion Soup did not come after 20-25 minutes it added to the night. My wife and three year old had finished their entire meal and for 10 minutes no one came by our table for me to ask when iwould get my dinner. I eventually got up and asked a manager who said he would send over our sever. He did not send her but I eventually flagged her down and pointed out my food did not arrive. I told her not to bother since my three year old was done and just the bill would be fine. Another five minutes later she dropped the bill and pointed out she had removed the soup. Great since I never even got the food. You may have a good experience but the others in our section did not get much attention.

Chandler, Arizona
“friendly, attentive service & excellent food”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Nice, large patio for the dogs.
Friendly, attentive staff (who also brought water for the dogs).
Excellent philly chicken sandwich--large portion, tasty & my request for no mushrooms was easily accommodated!

Visited August 2012
Peoria Arizona
“Nice patio”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a nice place to sit and relax. The outdoor patio was a good place to eat and have a drink. We had the chicken fried steak which was good and the veggies with it were great.

Visited July 2012