“Going Home to the Villa Capri”

Villa Capri by the Sea
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband and I have been staying with John Miller at the Villa Capri for the past 20 years. The children were often with us and as adults, they too now stay at the Villa Capri. Prior to finding the Villa, we stayed at several other spots at Coronado, but nothing else compares. We own a timeshare at Coronado, but it is only John who knows us by name, knows and asks about our family. It is truly like coming home each time we visit. We enjoy the intimate atmosphere and appreciate John's knowledge of Coronado and San Diego. We prefer being where the action is, the hustle and bustle of the area, and often turn off the AC to open the door and hear the traffic noise. There are places we have stayed where finding parking is always an adventure. John has adequate parking for all his guests but it is only due to his diligence that others don't take those spots. The Villa is retro, which is a huge part of its charm. I also find it a great place to stay when traveling without my husband. I always feel safe here. I respect John's policy of not allowing dogs on the property. As much as I love dogs, I appreciate not having to watch where I step. My family and I strongly recommend the Villa Capri to anyone who desires a friendly, home-like atmosphere in the best vacation place in Southern California!

Room Tip: Just ask John!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sheron D

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights at this lovely hotel on Coronado Island. John, the hotel manager was so nice and helpful. He gave us great suggestions for restaurants and activities. He also has a great knowledge of the Island. The room was clean and neat and great for the price. Would stay here again. Thanks John.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FCfam
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This place is just so great; a real gem of a place...
I have been to San Diego lots of times but never to Coronado Island. I went there planning on staying at Hotel Del Coronado but I found this place by happenstance and immediately fell in love with the authentic retro vibe. Everything is maintained impeccably and has the feel of home. Everything that's important is here... the fluffiest and whitest towels around that smell like home, The fluffiest and freshest beach towels, beach mats, beach toys (if you have kids), sparkling clean rooms that smell great, amazingly clean bathrooms that look as if your grandmother herself scrubbed the shower with a toothbrush, free parking, internet, continental breakfast with good coffee by the adorable and clean pool area.
The innkeeper is great...very informative about the area and the history of the inn. He was good to inform me that staying there does have some rules and he kindly ask that I follow them. You have to wash the sand off of your feet before walking through the gate, there is no crazy partying here as there is a noise curfew...general consideration of the place is appreciated and everyone is very cognizant of the home-like atmosphere and being respectful of the rules.
I loved every second of the stay at Villa Capri and will be returning ASAP! The ONLY thing that could have sent this visit over the top was if grandma herself came and made me breakfast, other than that I hope it never changes... I even winced a little when I heard they might be getting flat-screen TV's. This place is so authentic and such a great authenticity about it, I personally didn't even want to watch TV! My advice?? ...Keep it the same, keep it real, just keep it. ...It was like a big hug from a loved one :)

Room Tip: I stayed in the room by the gate, but the noise wasn't a problem. Don't worry about staying...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jennifer_hayde81
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We have been going to the Villa Capri for at least 10 years. My most recent stay was over this past Memorial Day weekend (2012). I first found this lovely inn while staying at the Hotel Del Coronado which is right across the street from the Villa Capri. I thought the inn looked charming, quaint, and quiet from the outside. It drew me in and we stopped by one day to check out the rates and the rooms. The innkeeper, John, was friendly and helpful and you can bet our next visit to Coronado we spent at the Villa Capri. Ten years later, it is still our number one choice and we visit often. John makes us feel welcome, greets us with big hugs, and is always ready to tell us about something new on the island or in the City. The rooms are clean with amazingly comfortable beds! The location is awesome - across the street from the beach and wonderful strolling distance to the shops and restaturants. If you like to party and carry on, this is not the place for you. However, if you like a peaceful, friendly, home away from home atmosphere, look no further. You will be delightfully surprised.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kim U
Reviewed February 10, 2012

We have recently returned from our 5th visit (see our previous review) to our favourite home from home & cant wait to get back there! My wife and I always spend at least 5 weeks in this little gem of a place usually from early Dec to mid Jan & we always have a very Merry Christmas indeed.

John the Innkeeper has become an old friend and we look forward every year to seeing him & asking his advice & opinion on absolutley everything! We often spend long days out & love the fact that John is there to share it with us when we get back. Having him there is great from a security point of view too, you can rest easy knowing he is always looking out for you. To be honest you couldn't want to meet a nicer more helpful guy!

In all the years we have been visiting we have never had a single problem. We have hired a variety of different types of vehicles, usually on the large side and have always managed to park easily & without any kind of hassle.

We are dog owners in the UK & enjoy walking along Orange Avenue & petting the pooches that are always tied up at various outside cafe areas along the way, however, its even more enjoyable to know that when you step through the gate of The Villa Capri, its own brand of serenity will settle over you. You can always be sure that its going to be a clean, calm & friendly experience, no matter what time of the day it is.

I am a smoker (my wife is not) & on our first visit John very pleasantly showed me the designated smoking areas upstairs & down where I can sit & have a quiet & discreet smoke without bothering other guests. This is particularly nice for me as so many places are now totally non smoking in California.

We are a very well travelled couple & for us this is the best place in the world but to sum things up, if you want a quiet,serene, spotlessly clean stay right opposite the historic Hotel Del & a stones throw from the beautiful Coronado Beach, the Villa Capri is defintiely for you. If you want to make noise, mess & throw wild parties - dont bother, its not your kind of place!

We have already booked for this year and are counting the days!

John & Alison B. Suffolk, England

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank catzdance
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I found the Villa Capri about 10 years ago and have made a yearly visit ever since. Spotlessly clean rooms, friendly environment, superb location right across the street from the ocean and very convenient and inexpensive public transportation make this my idea of a perfect getaway spot. As a single traveler, safety is a concern to me, so I really appreciate the personal and caring atmosphere. John, the innkeeper, makes you feel very welcome and has become a friend over the years. He always has good suggestions for tours, restaurants and directions for anywhere you want to go. Thank you for always making it a great holiday!
Lois A., Alberta, Canada

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Lois A
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Villa Capri for a few days. We had the most wonderful experience, the room we stayed in was immaculate and the service was excellent ! We had nothing we could have asked for, and the Inn Keeper, John Miller was very attentive to whatever our needs were, if we needed up dated information on anything around San Diego, we had to go no further than John.

Room Tip: Ask John the manager, he will suggest whats best for your specific needs !
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business