“Boo! Bad Service!”

Sun Deck Bar and Grill
Ranked #36 of 103 Restaurants in Coronado
Cuisines: American
Description: This beachfront eatery offers tropical drinks and gourmet Mexican fare from the grill in a casual outdoor atmosphere with Del Beach as your backdrop. Relax by the fire pit, enjoy our famous Del Fish Tacos, and sip a mojito or margarita while the sun slips into the Pacific. (Dinner available during the summer months.)
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am willing to pay oodles for a drink and a good time but this place was ridiculous.

Okay, I have to get up and get my own drink--fine. But the tables were dirty and the service - non-existent. Not what I expected from a "swanky" place like the Del.

Since there are no servers (I don't know who the young, uniformed staff are who wander around doing nothing), I belly up and order drinks. After tip, my order came close to $100 for 2 cocktails and 2 non-alcoholic beverages for my two boys. Whatever, I don't care. We are here to enjoy the view with a cocktail and drinks before we decide where to go for dinner.

Unfortunately, my son bumped his head on one of the precariously sharp-cornered trash cans lined up along the walkway. I asked each and every one of the passing "staff" for ice and they WOULD NOT HELP. I approached two morons chatting away next to the snack bar. They looked a little put out that I interrupted their conversation and told me to ask the bartender. Meanwhile, my son's eye swelled shut.

I asked the bartender for ice in a plastic bag and he said he didn't have a bag but gave me a plastic glass with ice cubes.

This was our first trip to Coronado and I loved the vibe of this town, but I will never set foot at this hotel again-not even for drinks! The service SUCKED. I guess they don't give you the time of day if you don't look like a movie star. We were dressed pretty casually, but we didn't look like hobos! And we had money to burn. NEVER EVER AGAIN.

1  Thank triptakers

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had large party at the Sun and Deck grill family members keep adding to party waiter and waitress just keep adding chairs and tables great place to hang ou have drinks and watch all the action and kids can go to pool or beach food and drink very good

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The deck at the Del offers a great place outside to look at the ocean, watch the sunset, and take in the everything Coronado has to offer. The drinks are expensive ($14 for a margarita, $9 for a beer), but on a weekend afternoon you can listen to the band and enjoy life.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The menu here is unfortunate. Chili cheese fries and horrible tough nacho chips were the only appetizers. At the beach people want seafood and light fare. The decor could've been nice, with fire pits and wicker couches, but the upholstery was old and tired. Still a nice experience to be out in the sun. Has potential, needs some TLC.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We did not stay at the Del, however, being a ginormous movie buff, I HAD to see the Del. We were recommended to Sheerwater, but that seemed like too much of a formal restaurant, so we sat at the bar at the Sun Deck Grill and had a delicious chicken sandwich and chicken Caesar salad. The food was good and not overly expensive considering where we were. Red Trolley Ale on tap is good. Oh the smell of the ocean, the sun on our necks, the cold beer...a nice way to spend your afternoon. We were lucky, we were there end of June, so the large crowds had not yet shown up, so we were able to sit at the bar and enjoy a leisurely lunch. Not so sure that would be possible come August. It's a public beach - so wading in the Pacific and staring at the iconic hotel is possible and if you squint...you just might see Daphne or Josephine. And while the lobby looks nothing like the movie set - it was still a thrill for this movie buff to walk through the lobby.