All reviewsone bedroom unitacross the streettime sharerooftop deckgreat locationhot tub and saunathird floorsecure parkingsan diegoboogie boardsbeach chairsstreet noisefree bikeswalking distancedel coronadosand toyscoronado beach
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My husband, toddler, and I stayed at the Coronado Beach resort for 2 nights following Memorial Day weekend. Our traveling was taking longer than I expected so I called ahead to learn whether a late arrival would be a problem. The staff reported that there was 24 hour front desk coverage and confirmed our reservation. Upon arriving I went inside to inquire how to access the parking. The young lady at the front desk offered instructions. When arriving at the gate to the garage it was locked. I had to walk inside (1 minute after the first time) to state the obvious, that we could not access the garage. She called maintenance on a walkie talkie and told me that she was out of garage keys. The wait was so long I was able to check in, bring our child to the room to look at it, and return downstairs before my husband was let in. During our 2 night stay a garage key never came available and we had to call ahead or wait for someone to come let us in every time we left with our car. We had requested a crib with our reservations and this was also not in the room. We waited another extended amount of time before the front desk person carried it up herself stating the maintenance person was not responding to the request. At check in I asked about the zoo tickets purchased with reservation. The staff member was unaware this was an option and told me it must be separate from the hotel. When we were on our way out to the zoo in the morning I asked again and all the staff at the desk agreed with the original staff person. "just in case" the manager checked with someone on the phone and learned that they did indeed have access to print the tickets online. The computer kept freezing, phone calls were made, another manager tried, and an HOUR later we decided to leave for the zoo and purchase tickets there. We lost over 90 minutes on our zoo trip which cut into our evening and opportunity to explore the hotel amenities and area. The tickets at the zoo were more expensive and we requested a refund of the difference which was provided without problems. The room was clean and nicely furnished. We had a two bedroom as the 1 bedroom we booked was not available... Looked like there were beach toys, chairs, towels, etc all available to use which was nice. The lobby was the only area that was not clean due to the bird. There were feathers and was bird poop on the floor and all over the table where the bird perch was so our daughter could not walk around the lobby as it was unsanitary. The fish tank was nice. The area and location are fantastic and if possible we will visit again- but next time we will look for other accommodations as while the staff was generally nice and polite, this resort appeared to be poorly managed, staff were not at all knowledgeable with the online reservation process, and the only thing they could do for all of the waiting and disorganization was return our 12.00 resort fee.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ouryoungfamily
Reviewed May 25, 2011

This had to be the best accomodations we have ever had. The beds were extremely comfortable, the condo clean and plush, and the entire staff always quick and eager to serve. We loved everything about this resort, including a lovely Macaw bird in the lobby that greets everyone with a "hello!" What a wonderful, restful time.

Room Tip: Call the resort as far ahead of time as possible.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank abbasgirl
Reviewed May 20, 2011

This place has a great location, rooms are nice, seems like they have been recently renovated. Just a block from the beach and across the street from very nice and good restaurants. Had a very good time. Will recomend.

Room Tip: ask for a room that does not face the street
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank PHMC
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I traded out a week from my home timeshare for a week at the Coronado Beach Resort (CBR) for my first ever trip to the Coronado / San Diego area. I flew into San Diego, rented a car and drove about 15 minutes to get to the CBR. It is located across the street from the famous Hotel Del Coronado and about a block from Coronado Beach. The resort building is in the shape of a triangle, 3 floors tall with about 50 rooms - most of which are one bedrooms. The remainder are studios. I was on the 3rd floor facing away from the main drag (by request) - Orange Avenue. That turned out to be a good idea because in May it is warm enough to leave the sliding door open at night, and you don't get as much noise from Orange Avenue (only road through Coronado - so emergency vehicles MUST take this road). I had a one bedroom which was adequate in space but not overly so. Kitchen is fully equipped except for no stove - hot plate only. Nice community patio on the 3rd floor with hot tub and community BBQ.

Parking is underground and adequate but not spacious. Don't bring your Ford Excursion. Lots of restaurants (several were good) and shops within easy walking distance from the resort including a decent Von's (grocery store). Plus the city tour ("Old Town Trolley") has a stop just up from the resort by a couple of blocks. Trolleys come by every 30-35 minutes or so. Standard jump on - jump off protocol. There is much to do and see in San Diego. Especially recommend the 2 hr harbor tour and the tour of the USS Midway for you history buffs. Staff was friendly and helpful. Be aware there is a $12/day resort fee here.

I did not luck out on the weather which was overcast most mornings and with enough wind to make going to the beach not enjoyable. However early mornings were brisk and walks along the beach were great fun.

Overall - I plan to return but next time will pick a date later in the summer since I enjoy relaxing at the beach quite a bit. Hopefully there is no wind in the August-September months.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank Silicon_Valley_Guy1
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Located directly across the street from the historic Hotel del Coronado. Staffed by freindly, helpful , interesting people and a welcoming blue and gold Macaw in the lobby. Easy walking to beach or to downtown shops.

Room Tip: If you are light sleeper, try for residential side
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple