“BEST SEGWAY TOUR EVER!!!!!”
Review of Segway of Coronado

Segway of Coronado
Ranked #2 of 15 Tours in Coronado
More attraction details
Owner description: A super fun alternative to a walking tour, you learn to ride a Segway and have a great tour around the historic and beautiful parts of Coronado, California. THE best day of our 5 days in San Diego!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I had never used a Segway before, but I have to say it; learning how to use it was amazing.
I booked the Segway of Coronado on February 15 and it was a great experience. Our guide, Barbara, trained us one by one how to use the Segways and in a few minutes, we were all ready to ride. She is good.
We started through the neighborhood; there are some beautiful homes to see. As we continued our tour, stop by stop, she talked about some of the landmarks (she was very informative) in Coronado. My favorite part was when we hit the beach area. It was beautiful.
I definitely recommend this for everyone to experience. My friend and I really enjoy it; we had a blast and we will definitely do it again.

MP

1  Thank M P

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Note: The poor rating stems from the lack of appropriate communication devices on this tour and therefore, not being able to hear the narration about the various sites.....otherwise, I would rate this as above average.

My wife and I have talked about doing a Segway tour for years, but always chickened out. We decided that over our Valentine's getaway to San Diego we would take the risk. We booked the Deluxe tour with Segway of Coronado (they have one in San Diego too). We arrived early and had to wait because one of the other couples got lost. No worries. It was a beautiful and warm day. Don't be shocked when the meeting spot is an Electrical Box outside the Bank of America building. The tour guides offices are inside the bank building. There are signs leading you to the right spot.

Barbara was our guide and she was really outgoing and energetic. Her attire shocked us a little as she showed up in torn (shredded) jeans and a flannel shirt. I have to remember its California.....We had signed up for the Deluxe tour, or so we thought, which included a couple of other sites in the Coronado area. After Barbara taught us to ride (and it’s easier than it looks) we were off. We all crashed in one form or another, but no injuries. The crash was not from falling over or the Segway tipping; it was rider mistakes, so don't let the machine itself worry you.

We saw a lot of interesting things, but our problem was that we were in the middle of the pack (of 6 people) and couldn't hear anything that Barbara was saying about the locations and sites. Finally we began asking her to repeat what she said once the rest of the pack got caught up...all of 20 yards. When I asked about one of the sites on the DELUXE tour, Frank Baum's summer home, Barbara informed us she didn't even know where that was located on the island.

Overall, we had a lot of fun. The views of the Harbor, Hotel Del Coronado, the beach, the Coronado Bridge and the community in general were fantastic.

A few helpful tips:

1) Wear comfortable shoes. You will be sore at the end of the trip from all the standing and rocking of your back and hips to help guide the Segway. My calves hurt for a day after the tour. Get off when time permits and stretch your legs and hips.

2) Wear or bring a lightweight jacket. It got cool as the afternoon progressed.

3) Pay attention, pay attention, pay attention. I was the first to crash when I stopped to take a picture and stayed on teh Segway.....which I leaned forward and crashed into my wife...which scared the heck out of her.

4) If you want to hear anything on the tour, you better be the first couple at the front of the pack. Otherwise, you are SOL. I would recommend what Terri W. recommended: the owner needs to invest in a sound system/communication device that allows all riders to hear the tour guide at the same time and decibel level. If that doesn't change, I would NOT recommend this tour to my friends.

5) Don't spend the extra money (or expectations) on the Deluxe Tour package since it appears they have no idea what that consists of.

6) Plan on traffic problems when coming to the tour. Traffic on Orange Avenue was bumper to bumper. Just remember when you come across the Coronado bridge it's to your LEFT.

Barbara did make it right for the two couples that had signed up for the deluxe tour and only charged us for the regular tour. Barbara was great and seemed good natured. The Segway’s were a lot of fun and easy to handle/maneuver. The tour itself, while visually entertaining, left a lot to be desired as far as the narration. I would recommend this for families with older children, couples and anyone looking for a fun little tour of the Coronado Island. The tour was fun and would have been great had we been able to hear.

4  Thank SteveC402
efforts, Owner at Segway of Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Well, As a small business owner who has worked hard for the last ten years to deliver the highest standard of Segway tours available, as reflected by our 5 star rating in TripAdvisor and other travel sites, I was pretty dismayed with your incredibly detailed commentary and 2 star review.

In your first paragraph you say “ The poor rating stems from the lack of appropriate communication devices on this tour and therefore, not being able to hear the narration about the various sites.....otherwise, I would rate this as above average.”

So, I’d like to Thank You for your accolade of our tour being above average. Unfortunately, your two star review does not reflect your comment of our service being above average.

I’d like take issue with some of the other points you made in your comments.

“Shocked at meeting at an electrical box next to the Bank of America building”.
answer:The reason we meet downstairs at the so called Electrical Box is purely for the convenience of our participants since we do our training downstairs on the sidewalk .

“Communication Devices” answer: I was approached by several manufacturers of these communication devices many years ago and after extensive analysis of the usefulness of these devices as they applied to our tours. I determined it was a unnecessary expense and more importantly, a “distraction” that could compromise safety, interfere with the sightseeing and high-tech Segway experience of our tour participants.
“I would recommend what Terri W. recommended: the owner needs to invest in a sound system/communication device that allows all riders to hear the tour guide at the same time and decibel level.” answer: We have kept our tour prices affordable based on keeping our overhead as low as possible without compromising the quality of our tours.
4. “Tour Guide Attire” answer: Each of our tour guides are required to wear appropriate attire and are issued a “logo” shirt and name tag. The idea that you would be “shocked” at Barbara’s attire is insulting if not ludicrous.
5. “Frank Baum’s Summer Home” answer:Yes Barbara should have known that Frank Baum was the author of “The Wizard Of OZ” and pointed out his summer home but the deluxe tour offers so much more, expansive and beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean, an unobstructed view of the 3rd top beaches in the world, Coronado Beach and some of the most magnificent homes Coronado has to offer.
6. “We all crashed in one form or another” -answer: Come on folks, whether your just walking, running, cycling or whatever, you need to pay attention to where your going and what your doing. Our training protocols are the most comprehensive in our industry as proven by our unrivaled safety record. Crashing into one another is not a common occurrence on our tours and never will be.

The bottom line is that we have been doing these tours for almost ten years and have worked hard to offer a great Segway experience at an affordable price, our travel ratings are reflective of our efforts. We are proud of our tours and have been encouraging our customers to participate in the review process for years because that’s the way we stay on top of our quality of service.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Segway tour was a fun one! BARBARA, our guide, knew her stuff and made the trip really enjoyable. BUT .... not sure I'd book this tour company again for ONE REASON and ONE REASON ONLY. The people at the "tail end" of our touring could NOT HEAR ANYTHING she had to say ... and she knew the Island inside out! What a shame that all her knowledge was WASTED, because only the couple NEAREST HER could hear what she had to offer in the way of Island facts! The OWNER needs to spend a few bucks and get those "communication P.A." systems ... worn by EACH rider ... where the Guide speaks ... and EVERYONE can hear! (We had these in Washington, D.C. and they were OUTSTANDING.) Don't think we would use and/or recommend this company again ... for THAT REASON ONLY!

4  Thank Terri W
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I had never been on Segways before, but always talked about it. It is just as fun as it looks and unbelievably easy to learn - especially with the patient help of our tour guide Barbara. After a few minutes of learning and practicing we were off to tour the entire island. Barbara had a great perspective of Coronado from growing up there and led us on a complete tour. Riding the Segway's was really a lot of fun and I would definitely do it again.

1  Thank Ed R
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I treated our son and daughter-in-law to the Segway tour, which none of us had every experienced before. I thought the price was reasonable for the amount of time we were involved, which was the "Coronado Tour Special", two for $118.

Barbara was our tour guide and Segway instructor, who did a fantastic job. She made sure we were proficient enough and comfortable on the Segway before beginning the tour. We all enjoyed the Segway and the tour of Coronado with only one minor mishap and highly recommend this tour. The only disappointment was that we didn't get an up-close look at Hotel Del Coronado during the tour.

2  Thank Lineka