“a phenomenal renovation”

1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed March 25, 2010

This was my first experience with a B&B and I just loved it! I was at the hotel for a strategic planning retreat for a non-profit board that I'm on. I stayed in the main house in the Hebbard & Gill room. It was just lovely. The bed was ultra comfy, the windows opened and there was a ceiling fan, which I just love. If you didn't want the fresh air, the A/C worked just fine too.
The bathroom was perfect. A nice vanity, a generous stall shower and then there was a soaking tub outside the bathroom if you preferred that. (I didn't use it).
The meals and snacks that we had at the retreat were delicious and varied. Happy hour had two wine varieties, and plentiful snacks. Their homemade chips and salsa were out of this world!
Susan, one of the innkeepers, was so super nice and willing to do anything that we asked. Always with a smile on her face.
I stayed at the Del Coronado resort for two nights before coming here. I liked the 1906 FAR better. I can't wait to have the chance to come back.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn

Reviewed March 4, 2010

We stayed at 1906 Lodge on the recommendation of family who live on Coronado. After meeting the very nice owners and taking a tour we settled into one of the large suites. The perfectly appointed room with period reproductions, huge bath room (and tub), fireplace, private balcony, and wine and cheese in the evenings in the original living area of the main building made our stay relaxing and enjoyable. I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2010

Boutique lodge, B&B...call it what you wish. What it is could be described as a historic, upscale residence that happens to open it's doors to guests with open arms. Staying in the luxury garden suites, we truly felt like pampered house guests with a private entrance during our stay at the 1906. We stayed in Ferry Landing, a second story luxury suite in the "backyard" of the lodge, overlooking the gardens and reflection pool. King size bed, balcony terrace, fireplace, rainfall shower...everything the website claimed was true. The staff could not be more hospitable, they think of everything and are are steps ahead of anything you could wish for. When we came back to the room after a night on the town February 13th, a rose was on the bed, with chocolates, a hand colored Valentine's Day card and heart stickers on the bathroom mirror. That is just an example of how they go the extra mile everytime. The wine, cheese & light appetizer happy hour, was very generous and allowed everyone to mingle and interact. Breakfast was nothing short of outstanding! A hot plated, gourmet entree was served individually each morning, but not before you have an opportunity to graze over their house coffee, juices, granola, cereals, scones, pastries, hard boiled eggs, yogurt and fresh fruit. When you add in the cost savings of having a gourmet breakfast and generous happy hour included in your daily stay, the value of 1906 can't be beat. I just can't say enough. It's obvious that the people behind this lodge are living their dream and take immense pride in what they do, as a guest you reap the benefits. You would be foolish to stay anywhere else in Coronado. A total gem!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Watched as this restoration project evolved...it exceeded all my expectations! Had the Trolley Car Suite for 3 nights. Beautifully decorated, comfortable and roomy, 2-sided fireplace and large jacuzzi tub. The little touches made it so much more - books and CDs in the room, historic decor from the early days of Coronado, plush towels and robe, turndown service. Breakfast each morning was delicious with a different entree each day. Hors d'oeuvres and beverages each evening in the common lounge. The staff and owners are fully engaged in taking care of their guests! Convenient to all Coronado activities.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2010

We recently stayed at this darling place as an alternative to the Del. The location is great, just one block off main street and very short walk to Del, Coronado restaurants and shops. We stayed in the new wing with a suite that was most impressive. The room was very large with a two way fireplace facing both bed and bathtub. There was a large outdoor patio deck with a view of the fountain and courtyard area. Although the building is new, the owners have taken great care to create an old world charm to match the existing house. The decor was comfortable and attractive, the breakfast delicious. The 1906 Lodge is a great choice if you are looking for something romantic and quiet. The beach is just a short distance to walk for catching the sunset. The Innkeepers are both friendly and efficient. This is a wonderful choice, just go!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2010

On an impromptu trip down to San Diego with my girlfriend, we decided to grab a hotel for the night. A quick search and we stumbled onto this place. The reviews on TA were very good so we decided to take a chance. Turns out, the place is excellent. Though much of the hotel is new construction, the uniquely themed rooms and historic presence of the main building significantly added to the charm. The service was overwhelmingly helpful and friendly. The breakfast was terrific. The place was beautifully decorated for the holidays to boot. Underground parking provided required shelter for my babied Porsche, though if the place was a bit more crowded it might have been uncomfortably tight quarters.

The prices on their Website were significantly higher than what we got quoted on the phone during the off season which helped seal the deal. We stayed in the Country Club and thoroughly enjoyed the whirlpool, fireplace and wet bar. A simple request for Champagne glasses (brought a bottle from home) was met with a beautiful silver tray with white linen, two glasses and a fresh flower. Again, service that definitely goes above and beyond.

Only downside is that there is no pool or hot tub and they turn off the serene fountain at night for some reason. The latter being a minor quibble to be sure but it would have been nice as we sat on the patio in the supplied luxurious robes enjoying a glass of the bubbly.

The location is great and within short walking distance to the Beach and the Hotel Del where we enjoyed their holiday decorations following a great Tuesday night wine tasting special.

We will be staying here again and will be bringing friends next time.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Let me first say that I used to manage a B&B in the Napa Valley for many years and always expect the same service and environment that I made my employees portray. The 1906 Lodge went above and beyond!!!

My family all went and stayed at 1906 Lodge over Christmas. It was the best stay in Coronado in 15 years. We have stayed at the Del and many other places throughout the years (my grandparents live in the cays so we go a lot) and I will never stay at another place other than 1906 Lodge. We went with my wife and 1 yr old child, my two parents and my brother, his wife and two girls ages 1.5yrs & 4 months old. The staff was wonderful. I was a bit worried that our kids wouldn't have a good Christmas in a hotel but that was not the case. The entire place was decorated for the holidays. The home made eggnog was great. The staff and other guests didn't mind us using the Christmas tree in the Parlor to have a Christmas morning with the family. It felt like I was at home.

The Lodge has wine & cheese in the afternoon and a great breakfast in the morning. When they heard little kids were coming they went out and got baby food and whole fat yogurt for our children. They thought of everything. The staff was nice and didn't mind our little girls playing around the Lodge.

The rooms were wonderful as well. They were nicely decorated and the bathrooms were very modern and CLEAN. That is a huge item for my wife and the first thing she raved about were the clean bathrooms.

Worth every penny and a great deal. Stay here and you will be coming back again and again...trust me!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
El Cordova Hotel
#8 of 17 in Coronado
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado

Been to 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!