All reviewsfree underground parkinghot dishtea gardenspa tubwine and cheeseeach morningb bsbreakfast was deliciousquiet neighborhoodsan diegoorange aveother gueststwo blockscoronado islandcomplimentary bikesprivate balconygolf cart
Reviewed November 26, 2012

my last review was December 2011. This time we visited as a family of four rather than as a couple - it was outstanding as it was the first time we came. Our daughters did not want to leave this place and want to come back. Now that we've had two consistent experiences here, I can say - you wont regret staying here. Comfortable beds, wonderful rooms, incredible staff and owners, lovely breakfasts, wonderful wine and cheese hour, lovely grounds - a home away from home. I wouldn't stay anywhere else on Coronado, or San Diego for that matter - book early, they fill quickly!

Room Tip: get a room with a bath so you can soak in it every night, I have not stayed inside the main lodge - but have now stayed in two rooms beyond the main lodge and they were both fabulous.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Orlygilbert
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you for returning with your daughters. I see from your review that you travel quite a bit. That makes your review even more meaningful to us. Come back soon!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

The 1906 Lodge was a comfortable and welcoming place to rest after a day of sightseeing around Coronado and San Diego. My wife and I stayed in the Isabella Room, which featured a delightful window seat in a spacious washroom (complete with claw-foot tub). We both enjoyed looking at the tree outside of the window at night. We did not use electronics on this vacation so can't comment on the television/ reception etc., but the room was very clean, and bright, with enough space for us to either hang or put away clothes.

There were so many thoughtful touches from the warm and friendly staff I am not sure I can remember them all -but I did appreciate their kindness and I will always remember our conversations fondly. Having worked in the hospitality industry myself I think I can state that the atmosphere is homey, without being intrusive and the staff work very hard to make every guest feel welcomed.

We stayed at the 1906 Lodge for a week, so we really got to appreciate the variety of hot entrees that are served every morning. I am a coffee lover, and I was very satisfied with the coffee served (something that always makes me smile when I travel). There is also a new gym facility in the building half a block away from the Lodge, and the drop-in fees for yoga or the gym were very reasonable. I was very happy to find a yoga studio so close by, and with such marvelous instructors (yoga bliss). We also appreciated the underground parking lot, as well as the convenient location of the Lodge. The first night we came to Coronado we went for a walk and drank in the sights of this area. Lots to see; great shopping on Orange Avenue near-by!

There alcoves and seating areas at the front entrance of the Lodge, as well as a delightful inner courtyard. Plenty of places to sit in the sunshine (or shade). Coffee and water was available at the second floor beverage station, housekeeping was excellent, and happy hour was so much fun (the 1906 Sangria was particularly delicious). The last morning we were there, we sat outside and watched three hummingbirds buzzing around the patio garden, and felt sad that we had to go home.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rowen W

I love it when guests are able to stay an entire week and truly relax and enjoy our property and our wonderful town. Thank you for finding us!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just returned from our first visit to San Diego and stayed at the 1906 Lodge. I am SO glad we did! Couldn't have picked a more perfect spot - we loved it. If you like a quiet place away from the crowd - this is it. Coronado Island is such a lovely area to stay - restaurants, shops, beach, etc. And everything is within walking distance. The Lodge includes delicious breakfast with different hot entree each morning. We parked in their secure garage which was a plus. And I loved using the beverage station for bottled water when returning from a walk or making a cup of hot tea at the end of the day.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for noting our complimentary chilled bottled water!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

There's a reason 1906 Lodge is rated #1 in Coronado - well, actually there are several reasons. Topping my list is the service we received. Their service starts with the well designed website. The charming property and rooms are showcased beautifully and the amenities and policies are clearly communicated. I found the Lodge and our room (Tent City) to be as charming in real life as it was in the photos. I was impressed by the innkeeper's helpfulness and warmth as I had questions and a few requests for our stay. Each request was kindly accommodated. Policies were again clearly stated both in our phone conversation and follow up emails - great communication!

One of the hallmarks of excellent service is how things are handled when there's a glitch and I was impressed again when we arrived to check in. Sue had emailed me the day before our arrival about needing to change our room since the air conditioning in Star Park (our original choice) was acting up. Unfortunately, we were making the drive in two days and had already left so I didn't get her email as I can only access my email on a computer. In moving us to another room Sue not only considered our comfort (we stayed in early October when it was unseasonably warm) but also my request for a quiet room, a sofa, king bed, and a table. Although for a moment I was a tad disappointed not to get our first choice, (hope it didn't show), Tent City was an excellent substitution and I was very much impressed that we were given a discount to make up for any initial disappointment. That is top notch service!

We found such top notch service throughout our stay. From the innkeepers to the kitchen staff and housekeepers, everyone was helpful and friendly yet not intrusive. They provide a nice breakfast buffet and hot cooked dish daily but kindly cooked a special breakfast each morning for me to accommodate my food allergies. I was there to rest while my husband had business in San Diego and the Lodge was perfect - our room was quiet, charming and comfortable. Since my husband's class lasted all day, not only did they arrange a late checkout time (for a modest fee) I was also welcome to hang out in the parlor and dining room until he came.

The Lodge is loaded with charm - delightful touches not only in the rooms but everywhere, even by the door in the parking garage (the free underground parking was a fabulous amenity). The entire Lodge is beautifully restored and decorated with attention to detail and quality - a delightful tribute to the past. I loved the old photos throughout the lodge, especially the photos of the original Tent City in our suite. Each of the individually decorated rooms are themed and named to reflect part of Coronado's history - how clever! All the innkeepers are helpful and knowledgeable so I was comfortable asking questions and I got to borrow a book about Coronado's history which enhanced my visit. They were also gracious about helping me find my way around town on foot and btw, the location is fabulous - just around the corner and mere minutes walking distance from shops, restaurants and the beach but away from the noise in a peaceful and pretty neighborhood.

Tent City is a charming, romantic, spacious suite with a comfy King bed and a cozy fireplace, which warms up the room nicely in the evening - I kept forgetting to ask how to work the thermostat. Have to give a shout out to the housekeepers for the clean room and the white fluffy towels. Also, thanks for keeping the water bottles stocked in the mini fridge.

Just a note, when I made reservations I explained about my food allergies however I didn't think to let the innkeepers know in advance that my husband wouldn't be eating breakfast during our stay. So if you have special needs or you won't be eating breakfast, it's a good thing to give them notice.

The only drawbacks were minor. Other reviews have mentioned the spotty wifi but once they gave me cables, the computer worked in the room just fine. There were plans for improvements so that may no longer be an issue. Also, I prefer to unpack and put the suitcase out of the way but the closet was too small so we had to leave it out in the sitting room on the luggage rack. The website is great but adding a map of the lodge so you can see where the rooms are located on the property and be able to select by location as well as decor and amenities would be nice. But these are very minor details considering the major charm, comfort, and service you'll find here. The 1906 Lodge deserves its reputation as Coronado's best hotel!

Room Tip: Tent City is on the bottom floor and is a spacious suite at the back left corner of the property. It's nice and quiet and fairly private as it's tucked away from the main paths. All the windows (except the bathroom window) face the courtyard so you don't hear street noise. The outside dining patio and door to the dining room is right across the courtyard so occasionally you can hear guests. Also, the room is sunny and bright with the blinds up but if guests are on the patio be aware that if the blinds are up there's not as much privacy. Great room - we loved it!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank aycee1
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

I loved your review title - Classy in Coronado! Your daughter picked our "top of the line" North Island Suite. Nice! So glad you had a wonderful 45th anniversary getaway!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a very nice weekend on Coronado. While overall our stay was very pleasant at the 1906 Lodge, I'd suggest a few upgrades to amenities that seem fitting for the cost of a stay there.
As in most deluxe accomodations, the quilt on the bed should be encased with a duvet rather than
loose sheets. A small thing, but there is always a yuk factor when the sheets come apart and reveal bedding that was against some part of another guest. While it is nice to have a newspaper in the common area, one local and one national newspaper for 17 rooms seems rather scant.
While it might seem like an economy for the hotel, low grade tissues in the bathroom do not speak of a caring environment for guests. That staff here is very good, grounds well kept and breakfast is okay, but not exceptional.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AnitaG_10

Thank you for your feedback on our amenities. I would like to comment on a couple of the items you mentioned that reflect our desire to be a bit "green" for our environment. We chose the bath tissue because it is LEED certified, created from rapidly renewable fiber like acacia (and is actually a bit more expensive). Similarly, we only offer the Coronado, San Diego and USA Today newspapers as so many of our guests prefer to read online. We realize there is a bit of a tradeoff between luxury and being environmentally friendly.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you will return soon!