“Very Nice, A Few Suggestions For Improvement Though”

1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Bakersfield, California, United States
“Very Nice, A Few Suggestions For Improvement Though”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the 1906 Lodge in early October for four nights in the Tea Garden Room. First, let me start by saying I booked out room by calling them directly and I was very impressed with their attention to detail. Right from the start, you get the feeling that they care about your stay with them and want it to be an enjoyable experience.

As others have mentioned, upon arrival you are checked in and receive a tour of the grounds and your room. You are not allowed to check in early unless you pay extra, so be aware of that policy. I had already made myself familiar with their policies, so I just made sure to plan our day accordingly.

Each afternoon, they have wine, lemonade and snacks in the parlor. It was a nice touch and we met some wonderful people during this relaxing time. Also, they have many restaurant menus available in the parlor to browse through. My husband and I sat drinking a glass of wine and planning dinner a couple of nighs.

Breakfast is served daily. Their homemade granola is a nice touch and they had fresh fruit daily. They also serve a hot entree daily. For us, the only draw back to the hot meal is that they do not serve meat. Over the course of our stay, we grew tired of eating so many carbs and really craved more protein. Another draw back is that the hot entree isn't served until about 9 o'clock. Many guests were anxiously waiting for something warm to eat. I had several people comment that they thought it was much too late and also complain that they wished there was some sort of meat. By the end of our stay, we opted to go around the corner for some more traditional breakfast fare. Another thing that was disappointing was that they don't have a Keurig coffee maker. It was surprising as most decent hotels these days have them.

Our room was very clean upon arrival. I am a bit of a germaphobe, and I felt quite comfortable. I will say that unfortunately, our room was not cleaned as well on the following days. Around our jacuzzi tub and where our drink glasses had been sat were missed not wiped down subsequent days.

Speaking of house keeping...we did have a bad experience with them. After spending our first night, we went downstairs for breakfast the next morning. When we came back up to our room, neither of us was feeling very well. I decided to soak in the jacuzzi tub and my husband was resting in bed. The next thing we knew, the housekeeper had entered our room. We had placed the "Do Not Disturb" sign out, however the housekeeper used her key and entered our room anyway. The doors don't have a chain lock like some hotels have to ensure no one enters and before we knew if, the housekeeper had entered our room. My husband was very upest (as was I since I was nude in the tub) and he called down to speak to someone regarding the situation. Denise answered the phone and was defensive about it and told him it was past time for check out. When my husband informed her that we were booked for four nights, she didn't believe him and put him on hold to verify herself that we in fact had paid for multiple nights. Finally, my husband told her that if there was a problem, we would pack our beloingings and leave immediately. I have to say, I was extremely disappointed with the way the siuation was handled and it made us both feel unwelcomed. I feel it would have been much more appropriate to call our hotel room or our cell phone if they thought it was time for us to check out. In my opinion, when a guest has a "Do Not Disturb" sign outside their door, it is not acceptable to barge in on them. I think the housekeepers have a problem with intruding on people because over the course of our stay, I overheard 2 other situations where the housekeepers walked in on guests and were apologizing for intruding.

The jacuzzi tub is amazing! It was my favorite part of the entire room. I have hip problems and the huge jacuzzi tub was a welcome treat for my sore joints and muscles. My husband enjoyed the jacuzzi as well. He is 6'5" and it was plenty large enough to accomodate him

The hotel is located in a pleasant neighborhood and a block or two from Hotel Del and the beach. Orange Avenue is just one block up and has a lot of shops, boutiques and restaurants. Coronado is wonderful. I had spent a considerable amount of time researching and planning things to do in San Diego, however once we crossed the bridge in to Coronado we didn't head back to San Diego until 4 days later when we went home. There really is a lot to see and do. We also just relaxed and enjoyed the low key atmosphere much of the time strolling around town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Becky A
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
I apologize profusely for the housekeeping intrusion and our mistake in thinking you were checking out. It obviously was not handled well. I will address this situation with my entire staff.

Regarding our vegetarian breakfast, we have found that the vast majority of our guests prefer a meatless meal. We do try to accommodate most food allergies, diet restrictions, and other special needs (lactose intolerance, gluten free, vegan, etc.). We are a small property and make everything onsite for our complimentary breakfast . By having a different hot entree each day of the week, we try to provide variety.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
"The OC", CA
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Cons:
*Could hear people in adjacent and overhead rooms (dog barking, TV on, walking overhead).
*Wouldn't let you take hot breakfast entree to your room... I thought this was a weird rule... I didn't really understand why. My husband didn't want to wake up for breakfast but he wanted to eat when he work up so I was going to bring it to him, but they wouldn't allow it.
*No view of water (or anything).
No pool or fitness center.

Pros:
*Good location right across from Hotel Del Coronado & beach... walking distance from all the great activity on Orange Ave.
*Free secure, underground parking - I LOVE not being nickeled and dimed for every "extra"... it was SO nice to have EVERYTHING included in the price we paid!
*Free internet for all devices - our signal was weak and they brought over a booster to our room and it worked perfectly after that!
*Free breakfast
*Free use of chairs, umbrellas, ice chest, beach towels
*Free appetizers and wine in the evenings -
*Easy to work with and friendly, helpful service
*Fireplace in room
*Big, jacuzzi tub in room
*Over all well-appointed room and place.

Definitely rent a bike and ride all over the island. That was delightful!

We would definitely stay here again (ESPECIALLY because we got a great last minute deal through tripadvisor!!!)!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mazmom
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for finding us through a last minute special deal on Trip Advisor.!

I appreciate your comment that you loved not "being nickeled and dimed for every extra". That's my philosophy. So we include breakfast, parking, afternoon wine & snacks, and even chilled bottled water in our rate.

I apologize if you were disturbed by our guest with the service dog. We do not allow personal guests but do welcome service animals, although that is a rare occurrence.

Regarding breakfast in your suite, unfortunately being a small property we aren't staffed to provide meals in the rooms. However, when we know in advance that a guest won't be able to attend breakfast during our 2 hour window, we can provide a boxed breakfast delivered the night before.
Atlanta
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the 1906 Lodge in late September for 3 nights. As usual, I chose it because of the great reviews on TA. This place is located in a fantastic residential neighborhood, just a block or so off the main drag on the island so you can walk to the restaurants, Starbucks and all the shops off of Orange Ave. Part of what I loved was the way the inn was preserved. It is clearly an older house, but very updated and clean. The rooms are separated from the main house, which I like. They preserved the building very nicely - the door to the inn is very heavy and solid (and locked which I loved for safety reasons). Even the main door to our individual room was rock solid. We had a small balcony that overlooked the peaceful courtyard, which made you feel like you were far from the bustle, but you were actually only 1.5 blocks from it. The grounds are very well kept and they have some gorgeous plants. Since parking can be tough in this neighborhood on the weekends, I was especially thankful to see that the lodge has underground parking, which can only be accessed with a card key. It felt very safe. A neat touch was the windex and towels in the parking garage. The breakfasts sounded great, but I ran out of time and never made it to them (my husband said they were wonderful). If you like to jog, this place is only a 10 minute drive from Silver Sands beach where there are plenty of places to jog. Also, it is a 3 minute drive to the bridge, so you can be in San Diego in no time.

Room Tip: If you stay on the 2nd level, just know you have no elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your wonderful review! You noted several ways that we ensure our guest's security. Our heavy front door is original to the historic building, built in 1906 as a boarding house. It sounds like you stayed in one of our suites which are actually new construction, finished in 2009. We designed those suites to reflect the same architecture as the original building.

Thank you for noticing our little car care station in the parking garage. After a long drive, who wants to see a dirty windshield!
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for the last night of our honeymoon and it was the best choice. We received a call from Sue (one of the innkeepers) the week before our stay asking if it was ok if she upgraded us. The rooms were huge and very clean. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast in the morning was outstanding. The location is very close to the beach and Hotel Del and the service is the best we have come across. We are already talking about our next stay and would recommend!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your wedding and we're glad you chose to stay with us on your honeymoon. Come back soon!
Wailua, Hawaii
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My sweet wife and I recently stayed at 1906 for the first time. We had a lovely stay and are returning at Christmas! The folks all are quiet and kind, and the location is superb. We enjoyed the serenity and peacefullness of the Lodge. Our room was comfy, and the bed really cozy. Coronado is a great place to visit!

Room Tip: We have only stayed in the Ferry Landing and LOVED it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the recommendation and we'll see you at Christmas!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We expected a lot from this property, given the glowing reviews (and the price) and first impressions were mixed. Partly I'd blame the photos on the web site, which are too good, as in the flesh the whole place looks and feels much smaller than the impression given by the photos.

The first breakfast wasn't particularly promising either as there was hardly any fruit, which is all my wife eats for breakfast (Later we wandered into town and bought some in Vons...). However, from that point things got better quickly.

The staff organising breakfast couln't have been more helpful and special bowls of fruit arrived each day, while I loved the hot entrees which were beautifully home-cooked. We forgot the publicity photos and started to appreciate the reality of our room and the main building, which have been very carefully restored and extended and fitted out to a high standard, without losing their warmth and attractiveness.

All the staff were friendly and helpful and everything about the place was very comfortable and made you relax without really noticing it. All in all it became very much a home away from home for our week in Coronado and there's no higher compliment for a good B&B.

Negative points?

I read the previous review "Great property, lousy wi fi" and laughed, as I felt that my title had been stolen. My iPad is lucky to have survived the stay, given the number of times I was tempted to throw it across the room. Signal strength was mixed, though normally quite good, but throughput was non existent. Often I would still be trying to download the morning papers as dinner approached, so I'm pleased to hear that upgrades are in place.

My wife looked at the room (Polo Field) and immediately noticed that there was no full length mirror - as I recall, the only mirror in the room was a small framed one over the bathroom basin. This didn't affect me, as I rarely feel the need to check how I look before venturing out, but I'm told it is an important omission.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Arderyth
Mount Forest, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2012

A very well kept property..nothing tacky..well appointed rooms and very courteous & competent staff. The entrees for breakfast are quite outstanding. However, if you have an IPad and need to use it, it's impossible in your room. You must go close to the office area in order to acquire any signal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank lojlomax
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I apologize for the issue you encountered with wifi in your guest room. This week we upgraded our internet service due to the huge increase in demand this year.

IPads seem to be prone to more weak signal issues than other wifi tools. We have a backup booster that we can place in your room to overcome the problem. When we do this, the guest must be sure to reset the IPad connection, otherwise it continues to stay connected to the previous weak signal.

We continue to monitor our guests' evolving internet needs and try to ensure this free service is readily available throughout the property.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 16 in Coronado

Been to 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!