All reviews free underground parking hot dish spa tub wine and cheese each morning b bs breakfast was delicious quiet neighborhood san diego orange ave coronado island other guests two blocks complimentary bikes private balcony golf cart fresh fruit
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed at the 1906 Lodge for a week in August, and selected the Lodge after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. Overall, our experience was great and we loved the personalized service we received from the Inn Keepers.

We stayed in a room in the Main Building and loved that outside of our room door, there was a small refrigerator stocked with water as well as coffee & tea available each morning by 7:00. The room was clean and provided sufficient space, although did not include a dresser or a closet for unpacking (there was a small antique armoire in the corner of the room). The room had 3 large windows allowing for natural light, had a great shower and a sink outside of the bathroom, which was great in allowing two of us to get ready. We also loved the evening turn down service.

The breakfast provided each day was delicious, it included fresh fruit, baked goods, cereal, juices and a hot entrée that was made before it was served, not kept in a warming dish. We ate breakfast each day in the garden area, it was lovely and peaceful, beautiful flowering plants and a fountain in the center.

We attend the “happy hour” at the Lodge a few days, light snacks (cheese and crackers, fruit, nuts) were provided as well as wine and we enjoyed mingling with other guests. We also had the opportunity to meet one of the (owing) “Partners” of the Lodge and enjoyed hearing about the history of the 1906 Lodge and the renovations. If you choose to stay at 1906 Lodge, we would encourage you to look at the photo book detailing the 6 year renovation of the 1906 Lodge (incredible to see where they started).

In addition, The 1906 Lodge provides free underground parking to guests, which after some research , prior to booking our stay we realized was a great added value if you choose to stay on Coronado Island

As we mentioned above, the personalized service from the Inn Keepers was amazing. We were greeted each day by name, asked about our day’s activities and the Inn Keepers offered suggestions for activities and dining (day after day their suggestions were spot-on, good restaurants, locations and attractions to see were great). In addition, the Inn Keepers accommodated our special requests, we planned to have a picnic dinner at sunset one evening and the Inn Keepers provided us with a packed rolling cooler bag for our dinner and beverages (how nice!). On our final morning since we would be leaving before breakfast was served, a “breakfast to go” box was provided – what a nice treat when we opened on our flight home.

While we’d recommend 1906 Lodge to our friends and family, as well as stay ourselves again, there were few areas that could be improved. In the week we stayed, the air conditioning in our room was never quite right (not for lack of trying by us or the Inn Keepers) and we couldn’t get the room to a comfortable temperature for sleeping (it was unseasonably warm the week we were in Coronado). In addition for the 1906 Lodge only being open for 3 years, the mattress was squeaky and soft, not incredibly comfortable. Finally, while 1906 Lodge provides free WiFi, we were unable to get a signal on our iPad in our guest room (no issue in using the WiFi from the common areas of the Lodge).

If 4 ½ stars were a rating, we’d give that – not an option on Trip Advisor, hence the 4 stars.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelgirl055
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

My innkeepers sure do like to help our guests have a memorable experience in Coronado! And thank you for the constructive feedback. I'll check out those items and see what we can do!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Coronado is one of the best parts of San Diego. Manicured streets, no litter, period style property, and close to down town when you need it.
1906 is a well run B&B in an excellent location close to shops, restaurants and the beach.
It is a drive to the best restaurants on the East side overlooking the bay though.
Service is restrained and elegant. The early evening wine and cheese is a great idea and a most welcome opportunity to mingle with other guests. We were a bit taken aback to receive a letter whilst we were there saying that we could not share our rooms. Our son has a medical condition which means his mattress has to be on the floor, and the owners obviously thought that he had been inviting unpaying guests into his room. A word to us would have been better rather than a letter through the door. This did not however spoil a great experience and a place a would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HertsNeil
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

To our London guest, I apologize for not speaking directly to you regarding the mattress on the floor. You are correct, that would have been a much better way to communicate our concern. We are always looking for ways to accommodate our guests special needs.

I'm glad you were still able to enjoy your stay with us in Coronado.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

After reading the raving reviews on TripAdvisor we decided to book this B & B for three nights to celebrate my birthday. We stayed in the Country Club suite and loved it. The suite is spacious with a nice desk, comfortable chairs and a wonderful bed. I loved having a Jacuzzi tub and a walk in shower. The soft robes was another plus and having a large vanity to spread out is always high on my list.
Breakfast was great: Muffins, scones, fresh fruit, homemade granola and every day a different hot entree. My husband and I also enjoyed the wine and cheese hour at the parlor and meeting other guests.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

It sounds like the 1906 Lodge was good choice for your romantic birthday celebration!

I'm glad you enjoyed all our amenities including our bathrooms. I wish we had the same spa tub at home, but I do have the robe! I've enjoyed it for 5 years and it's still soft and comfy.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in July following a marriage retreat elsewhere on the island. I have to tell you first off that my husband does not like B&B's and his first thought was to stay at the Marriott. After finding 1906 Lodge on the Travelocity, I was able to convince him otherwise. He LOVED the Lodge and said he wished all B&B's were like this. It was hard to choose a room looking at the web site, so I called and spoke to Alyssa to make the reservation. I told her what our budget was and asked for the most romantic room for that price. We stayed in the Tea Garden Suite and it was absolutely perfect! The bed is so cozy and comfortable that we didn't want to get up in the morning. We enjoyed the deep soaking tub one night - what luxury! The sitting chairs weren't particularly comfortable, but that's no big deal. We really enjoyed sitting out on the balcony overlooking the courtyard anyway. The bathroom was one of the biggest I've ever had in any hotel or B&B with so many thoughtful touches. The towels are sumptuously soft. The staff has truly thought of everything.

The location is perfect. Lots to do within walking distance. And the trip into San Diego is amazingly quick and easy. You can be to Balboa Park in no time. Susan gave us an excellent recommendation to check out Cedros Avenue north of the LaJolla area. We hadn't heard about it before. After chatting with us for a few moments and figuring out what we might like, she gave us the directions. This was one of the highlights of our trip! Nice to hear about a hidden gem from a local.

The staff was extremely accommodating to our dietary needs and easily met them all. They cooked oatmeal for my husband every morning since he is gluten-free. I am a vegan and I had plenty to eat, as they provided soy or rice milk for the cereal each day. The hot tea selections were excellent and the fruit fresh and delicious. We didn't really partake of the evening wine and snacks since we were out and about, but I think that is a nice homey touch.

I should mention that we came over early on our arrival day knowing that it was too early to check in. However, we had some groceries from our other location and asked if they could hold them for us. They were waiting in our room refrigerator when we checked in. How nice! We also had a very early morning departure so the staff left our 'to go' breakfasts in the room refrigerator the night prior to our departure.

We really liked having a separate entrance to our room. Do be forewarned that you will need to carry your suitcases up the stairs, though. We found the lodge to be very friendly (both staff and guests) and quiet. We appreciated the free parking too. I hope we get to return some day. Thank you so much for taking such good care of us.

Room Tip: Tell the innkeepers what you need. I'm sure they will steer you in the right direction. We stayed in Tea Garden - one the the luxury garden suites. I think this the nicest room we've ever stayed in ANYWHERE. Very spacious - particularly the bathroom. Both the shower and the tub are big enough for two.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deb74

I'm so glad that your second honeymoon was so enjoyable. The Tea Garden Suite is indeed my favorite romantic suite.

It sounds like my innkeepers were helpful. Thank you for recognizing their contributions to your enjoyment of the 1906 Lodge, Coronado, and San Diego. They take great pride in providing our guests with "live like a local" tips so that you can make the most of your vacation!

P.S. Yours is not the first husband that we have converted! We're not our grandmother's B&B!

Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I can say many great things about the 1906 Lodge...and we will. From the first moment we arrived until the wee hours of the morning when we left, we were pampered and made to feel at home. We stayed in the Trolley Car room. Checkin went well, Can you say quick. Then, who does this any more, we are lead to our room and shown everything and how it works. From the refrigerator to how the fan works! Comfort is the clear objective of the staff and establishment. The tub was a huge hit with my wife. Breakfast on the first morning-exquisite, or as Alyssa(sp?) described, addicting! You HAVE to get out of bed for their breakfasts! Wine and cheese in the evening is a great way to get to know your neighbors. The day we decided to go to the beach, only 2 blocks away, the staff setup a beach bag with towels and 2 chairs and there are umbrellas made available to us. Very convenient! The morning that we left, 4 am, we were left a box breakfast in our refrigerator by the evening turn-down staff. that was a nice touch and it hit the spot at the airport. The staff is constantly aware of your needs and satisfy them, almost like they know before you do :) Again, from the soft spoken Susan, the inn keeper, to the beautiful facilities this is the place to be on Coronado/San Diego. Easy walk to anywhere on the Island and easy walk to the ferry to San Diego. Arrive in Coronado and breathe easy at the 1906 Lodge!

Room Tip: We didn't use the fireplace- too warm. Perhaps, another time of the year maybe. I wouldn't pick a room based on the fireplace.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tcopeland

Feeling pampered and at home are just the things we hope for every guest! Thank you for taking the time to give us such a complete and glowing review!

P.S. If you have to face an airport at 4 AM, you deserve a little something in your tummy!