All reviewsfree underground parkinghot dishtea gardenspa tubwine and cheeseeach morningb bsbreakfast was deliciousquiet neighborhoodsan diegoorange aveother gueststwo blockscoronado islandcomplimentary bikesprivate balconygolf cart
Reviewed March 5, 2012

A real gem. Tucked away only a block from the main street, it is a short walk to the beach and the rooms and service are way beyond description. We have stayed at the Hotel Del, Marriott, Lowes, and others, but the Lodge has them all hands down. Service is second to none. "Susan" makes sure you are welcome and provides the friendly atmosphere and knowledgeable advice about this small town you need to find the best places to visit.
Breakfast and food were great. Fresh, original, and tasty. It rivals the finest resturants for breakfast.
In a word - "WOW!" This is a must stay if visiting Coronado or San Diego.

Room Tip: Room was great and I don't think there is a bad choice.
2  Thank Jonathan M
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Jonathan, I'm glad to hear that you received such great service from my innkeepers. One of the goals we have is to help guests feel they have the inside scoop on enjoying our little seaside village!

I'm honored that you chose us over the "big boys" in town. They are all wonderful properties but we think we can provide a more memorable stay in Coronado!

Come back soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2012

This is a beautiful property run by a caring staff and hands-on owners. The renovation is superb, with all the charm of the original house intact plus the modern ammenities. I would describe it as "Swiss" clean; not a speck of dust or dirt anywhere. The staff is cheerful and discrete and the owners are gregarious but not over bearing. The evening wine, lemonade and light appetizers are perfect for getting to know the other guests and taking the edge off until dinner. Our room, Kate's Garden, was very quiet and overlooks the lovely courtyard garden. One of the few imperfections is the weak to non-existant wi-fi; it works best in the parlour. Another weakness was the breakfast. We stayed three nights and all three breakfasts were lack-luster. There were cheesy scrambled eggs which I make at home. The stuffed French toast was tough and filled with a rather bland pudding, although the hot fruit compote was tasty. The Sunday breakfast was a frittata which would have been better if it was served hot instead of at room temperature. However, the baked goods were excellent including the cranberry scones and an apple cake. No meats of any kind were offered. Having said that, we would stay here again and it is the nicest property we have found in Coronado.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the courtyard are probably the quietest.
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I really appreciate it. It sounds like our breakfasts were not quite up to your expectations and I apologize for that. Our Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast with fresh berry sauce is usually a favorite choice of our guests. We've chosen to exclude meats from our breakfast as so many guests are vegetarians. We can accommodate lactose and gluten free requests. I'm glad you enjoyed our home made baked goods!

As always, we welcome ideas for hot breakfast entrees as we are constantly trying to improve our offerings.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

The 1906 Lodge is new which I loved. The room and property were new and very clean. The ladies who run the bed and breakfast were pleasant and accomodating. The morning breakfast was good and offered a different hot dish each morning. We stayed in the red, white and blue room and did not get much wifi coverage. I may choose the tent room next time as I think it may be a brighter room with more light. I would recommend this over the Hotel Del, whose rooms were so tired the last time we stayed there. Love the Shearwater restaurant at the Del, with the view of the ocean. Coronado is so charming.

Room Tip: You can hear the people above you sometimes, so if you have the option, take an upstairs room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DeluxeTraveler
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

It sounds like you stayed in our Star Park Suite, decorated to honor the enthusiastic 4th of July celebration in Coronado. That spacious suite is tucked away in the back corner so it doesn't have as many windows as some other rooms. But it does have the advantage of lots of room to spread out, plus the fabulous huge spa tub facing a cozy gas fireplace.

For the most light, I suggest either the Polo Field Suite or North Island Suite. Each of these is on the second floor at the end of the building so we were able to put in lots of windows. Both have balconies which are great for catching the ocean breeze and watching the Coronado sky turn beautiful rosy colors at sunset!

Reviewed February 16, 2012

This is a lovely, well decorated B&B, where each room has it's own theme (they can all be viewed on their web site). Included is happy hour with cheese, fruit and wine, free underground parking and a delicious breakfast in the morning. 1906 Lodge is just one block from the main drag (Orange Ave), filled with shops, restaurants and bars, and just two blocks from the ocean. We live in San Diego and go to Coronado at least 2-3 times a week. It is our dream to live there some day, but for now, we just visit! We usually don't spend the night, but sometimes we do for special occasions....in fact, we will be staying there next week for my birthday! You will not go wrong staying at this cute, cozy B&B!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cmcgal
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Thanks for your lovely review. Stay as often as you wish, we're so close to your home in San Diego! I'm glad you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and afternoon wine and refreshments. We try to provide extras that aren't available at other hotels in Coronado.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I don't feel that there's much add. We had the choice of staying here or at Hotel del Coronado, and after reading the reviews, we decided here. (It is ridiculous to charge $20/day parking when there is free parking nearby). The bed and breakfast is in a gorgeous historic house. You could tell a lot of thought was put into the decor. We booked the Isabella room, which was very spacious, and I very much liked the added touch of the claw footed bathtub (with an attached shower). My husband is larger though, and felt constricted in the shower when the air blew the curtains inward. For such a hotel, of course, the cleanliness was impeccable. The room had all the amenities we needed: hair dryer, shampoo, soap, conditioner, cotton balls, and q-tips. The linens are cleaned pretty frequently, so we told them not to bother doing that on our short stay. Breakfast was nice. Carrot cake pancakes and egg frittata were offered during our stay. The evening snack of wine, lemonade, and cheese and fruit was a nice touch, too. It is just incredible the amount of detail that is put into every aspect of this stellar bed and breakfast. One thing though was that the internet was not working well during the first part of our visit. Luckily, the wifi router was in our room, so we were able to figure out that there was a missing cord. But when we first complained about it, the actual owner came by after work to check it out.

I have no complaints about this hotel. Suffice to say that your every need will be met if you stay here.

Room Tip: Our room was facing A Ave, I think...I don't know if a room facing Adella would be any quieter, but nothing ear plugs would not fix. And if you need complete darkness to sleep, Isabella would not be a good option...there are wooden slat blinds.
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed the claw foot tub in Isabella's Room. It is the only room with that kind of tub. The vintage tub seemed fitting in a room honoring the wife of Coronado Island's original owner and developer, Elisha Babcock.

We have had intermittent WIFI issues in the lodge. We think it is due to the amount of steel we added to the building when it was restored. I'm glad my husband was able to get things working for you!