All reviewsfree underground parkinghot dishspa tubwine and cheeseeach morningb bsbreakfast was deliciousquiet neighborhoodsan diegoorange avecoronado islandother gueststwo blockscomplimentary bikesprivate balconygolf cartfresh fruit
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I don't feel that there's much add. We had the choice of staying here or at Hotel del Coronado, and after reading the reviews, we decided here. (It is ridiculous to charge $20/day parking when there is free parking nearby). The bed and breakfast is in a gorgeous historic house. You could tell a lot of thought was put into the decor. We booked the Isabella room, which was very spacious, and I very much liked the added touch of the claw footed bathtub (with an attached shower). My husband is larger though, and felt constricted in the shower when the air blew the curtains inward. For such a hotel, of course, the cleanliness was impeccable. The room had all the amenities we needed: hair dryer, shampoo, soap, conditioner, cotton balls, and q-tips. The linens are cleaned pretty frequently, so we told them not to bother doing that on our short stay. Breakfast was nice. Carrot cake pancakes and egg frittata were offered during our stay. The evening snack of wine, lemonade, and cheese and fruit was a nice touch, too. It is just incredible the amount of detail that is put into every aspect of this stellar bed and breakfast. One thing though was that the internet was not working well during the first part of our visit. Luckily, the wifi router was in our room, so we were able to figure out that there was a missing cord. But when we first complained about it, the actual owner came by after work to check it out.

I have no complaints about this hotel. Suffice to say that your every need will be met if you stay here.

Room Tip: Our room was facing A Ave, I think...I don't know if a room facing Adella would be any quieter, but nothing ear plugs would not fix. And if you need complete darkness to sleep, Isabella would not be a good option...there are wooden slat blinds.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed the claw foot tub in Isabella's Room. It is the only room with that kind of tub. The vintage tub seemed fitting in a room honoring the wife of Coronado Island's original owner and developer, Elisha Babcock.

We have had intermittent WIFI issues in the lodge. We think it is due to the amount of steel we added to the building when it was restored. I'm glad my husband was able to get things working for you!

Reviewed February 5, 2012

My family came together to celebrate my daughter and son inlaw's beautiful wedding. We all checked into this beautiful bed and breakfast and had the most enjoyable time. We gathered for breakfast in the morning and enjoyed the wonderful food. We celebrated before and after the wedding spending the entire weekend. The wedding day was wonderful having everyone getting ready in the beautiful rooms. The perfect pre wedding area to gather all those that made us so beautiful. We could not have asked for a better experience. I have stayed in the best hotels in San Diego and this is rated the best we have ever experienced.

• Stayed: October 2011
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

We love hosting wedding groups and sharing in the excitement. Glad your stay was so enjoyable!

Reviewed January 29, 2012

We REALLY enjoyed this B&B. If you are thinking 5 star hotel, don't. It's a great quality bed and breakfast with fine appointments. If I could give 4.5 stars I would, The ladies that tun the place are helpful and friendly. The place is VERY clean, and the location is fantastic.

The lodge is on a residential block perfectly located by all the main restaurants and extremely close to the Hotel del Coronado. We went and looked at every place to stay while at Coronado (except the Lowe's which is very far away from everything), and we concluded the 906 Lodge is the best place on the island.

Another good one is the Marriott, but it's on the Bay side (and not as quaint). We explored the Hotel Del Coronado (and have stayed there in the past) and we would prefer staying at the 1906 Lodge. The Hotel Del is old and kinda creepy. Nice to visit and eat there, but not stay (in our opinion). The Hotel Del is always so crowded. Not our thing.

The 1906 Lodge...just know what you are getting into. They have some rules that are unlike hotels. I added a night and changed rooms on the phone (before we came) and they charged $25 for the change.?? Also, they charged my credit card I used to hold the room, but I wished to pay with another (business) card. "Impossible." "It is our policy that once we charge a card, we cannot give a refund." My thought was..what if they accidentally placed an extra "0" on the charge? Is it really impossible to credit and recharge? I don't think so. This is the Lodge's policy, and Denise was just following instructions. It just seemed a little restrictive, instead of "make the customer happy". Especially on something so easy.

Also, we needed an early check-in, which they accommodated... for $25. My wife checked in at 1:45 (while I was still in a conference), but at 3:00 there would not have been a charge. No one was in the room, so the fee is confusing. For example, we checked into the Hyatt across the bay a few days before at 10:00 AM.... "no problem sir since we have a room ready" (and no fee).

No big deal, I will just adjust and get it correct with my company back home. In no way did I let this hurt my trip or stay (as you can see by my rating).

We loved the tranquil environment, water fountains bubbling outside our open windows, the large bathtub, the fireplace you can turn on with a switch, and the breakfasts were a nice touch.

Quaint is the word. If we travel back to Coronado, this will be our place.

Room Tip: Just know that the thermostats are controlled by a computer at the front desk. Not an issue for us, since we opened our windows. Great, cool weather.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we came out on top of your list when comparing all the hospitality choices in Coronado!

I appreciate your feedback on a couple of our policies. I, too, dislike it when policies interfere with an otherwise great customer service experience.

The policies you questioned stem from the fact that we are a small property, with innkeepers who wear many hats and frequently are on duty alone in the middle of the day. Between noon and 4PM, they are preparing the afternoon snacks and food for the next morning, or catching up with online reservations and phone calls.

When guests check in, the innkeeper spends up to 15 minutes showing them around the property, explaining our complimentary breakfast and happy hour, where to park, helping with luggage, orienting them to Coronado, etc. We don't want to rush this first introduction to the 1906 Lodge and Coronado.

Until recently, we did not charge for early check-ins if the room was clean and available. When we take a reservation on the phone, we always ask the guest's expected arrival time so that we can be prepared and welcoming. Unfortunately we found that many guests were surprising us with unexpected early check-ins. One day this led to an unfortunate accident. The innkeeper was simmering fresh berry sauce for our French Toast, when she stepped away from the kitchen for an unexpected early check-in. Our very sensitive kitchen fire alarm was set off when the berry sauce started to burn. The fire department was automatically deployed and a very embarrassed innkeeper had to explain the non-emergency to our town's firemen! The moral of the story was that we try to focus on check-ins between 4 and 7 so that the innkeepers are not juggling other tasks and can focus on our guests.

Our policy regarding switching of credit cards at check-in is also geared towards a smooth check-in, but also because there is an extra cost to us. When we take your deposit at time of booking, we are charged a fee by the credit card company (typically 3-4% of the amount). When we refund that amount, we do not receive a refund on the fee.

You also mentioned our fee for changing an existing reservation. I revisited this policy just last week. If you are adding days, or switching to a room at the same or larger rate, there will be no charge.

This is probably more information than you wanted or needed about our policies! I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed January 19, 2012

The staff was amazing! They were helpful. The breakfast (which i did not realize was included in the price) was the best stuffed french toast ever!! They do the small things that make you feel like home such as leaving a tiara and noise maker and other candy for new year's eve!! Wine every night at 5-6pm. The rooms are absolutely beautiful! I recommend a suite but one of the studies was nice too--it had 2 shower heads (one in the ceiling and one in the wall) so you stay warm wherever in the shower and makes it great for 2 to share!! Definitely would go back!!

Room Tip: Already stated it in the review!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2012

We have 3 rooms with over-sized stall showers and 2 shower heads. The regular shower head is augmented by a relaxing rain shower head. I'm glad you enjoyed the special treatment!

Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at 1906 Lodge and could not have been happier with the choice. Everything was as advertised or better. The service was outstanding from start to finish - and not just your average good service. By the time our stay was over we had gotten to know the staff and received a ton of personal recommendations, advice, and just genuine interest.

The accommodations were very clean and well kept, had a great location and were well-designed - basically exactly as advertised. I would recommend this bed and breakfast (and stay there again) in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

One of our goals is to help our guests feel like honorary Coronado residents. We like to give you current recommendations, so we "force" ourselves to try out all the restaurants, visit all the shops,and see all the plays. It's a tough job but we're up for it!

We're glad you chose us for your honeymoon and hope you return every year for your anniversary!