“Great lunch specials with great surroundings”

Candelas on the Bay
Ranked #35 of 103 Restaurants in Coronado
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus stops at the Ferry Landing.
Description: Our goal at Candelas on the Bay, located in Coronado, is to serve the best authentic Mexican cuisine in the San Diego area using only the finest and freshest ingredients. The breathtaking views of the San Diego skyline and an impeccable service make up for an unforgettable dining experience. Menu selections at Candelas range from delicious tacos al pastor to mouthwatering mole dishes, as well as traditional breakfasts, appetizers and desserts. We offer several unique and versatile dining accommodations with an intimate and sophisticated décor to meet your every need, whether it be a date, family reunion or large gathering. A semi-private room for business meetings, tables with a view for a romantic dinner, wedding ceremony areas on the beach, or the entirety of our restaurant are available for any event or happening.
Reviewed July 29, 2010

If you want to feel like you are part of the rich people, just walk in here at lunch time and order the $10 special. That comes with a salad and an every day changing main dish, that will satisfy your hunger. If you are starving you might want to get something else, the dish is like in many fancy restaurants small, but tastes really good. The wall facing downtown San Diego is completely made out of glas, so you have a wonderful view of San Diego and all the pedestrians walking by. Great place!

Reviewed July 22, 2010

This was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The menu is Mexican, but with a flair. The menu was very unique and I can't recall the names of each dish. I had the fideo served dry with tomato sauce (kind of like chilaquiles but with noodles instead of tortilla strips) and it was outstanding. I also had some open face steak tacos from the appetizer menu that were out of this world. My hubby ordered the stuffed avocado and it was served layered with shrimp, salsa, and other flavors that was one of a kind; I"ve never seen anything like it and it was fantastic. He also had flautas which were excellent.

Although the restaurant is elegant, it was child friendly. My kids were occupied with crayons and a paper menu. The chicken fingers were battered in house and one serving would have been enough for our kids to share.

Candela's has made it to my list of top three restaurants ever and is in good company with Deseo in Scottsdale and Mama's Fish House on Maui. I can't wait to go back to Coronado next year so we can eat there again.

Reviewed July 3, 2010

They post lunch specials & then do everything they can to get you to order more expensive items. If you do order the lunch special watch out cause they are basically terrible & they then do whatever they can do to move you out quickly! Not too mention you have to beg for a slice of bread & water...And, in the Three seperate times I have lunched there Not Once has any waiter/manager/even busboy dropped by to ask how the meal was! And, it's not like they were busy! I have been in the hospitality industry for over 25 years & have never been treated so poorly. Watch out cause they size you up the second you walk in the place. Larger tables with well dressed women get all the attention & smaller parties dressed as average tourists, especially those who would be "rude" enough to order their Advertised "special" get no attention at all. In summary, the food is not great & the service is worse. Won't go there ever again & certainly will not reccomend them to my clients. Such a shame because the view is very nice.

Reviewed May 23, 2010

I'm sorry, but my reviews are good when the place is good, and bad when the place is bad. The food here is below sub-par and it's obvious that they prey on unknowing tourists who are oblivious as to the quality of the cuisine. "Come here for the view." If I'm not mistaken this place has also changed names and themes several times- not a good thing at all.

I went here on a date recently and it was disgusting. First my red wine was vinegary, the bottle must have been out for awhile with no cork in it, so they gave me a new glass. Having the taste in my mouth of that bad wine was horrible, I wish I had had a bottle of Listerine to wash my mouth out. The steak I ordered was among the worst, if not the worst steak that has been plated and put down in front of me in my life. It was at least 60% fat, and it had to be sent back. The manager or person on duty there agreed with me 100% that it was bad, by the way. They offered to make me another one, but it was pointless. They took the steak and wine off the bill, and we went around the corner for a much better meal. Seriously, I've never gotten up from a meal (especially when I am hungry and will basically eat anything), and just decided to go to another place, in my life. That's how bad it was. Just remember that you are paying for a view, and that truly is it.

Reviewed May 19, 2010

I've eaten at Candelas on the Bay a number of times, usually for lunch and some of the negative reviews perplex me, although I did notice a lot of the negative reviews were one hit wonders, people who get mad, post once and never post again. One reviewer from FL complained they had to ask for water.... which is common in CA, because of our water conservation measures almost no places bring water automatically and in drought years it is actually against the law to bring water unless requested.... but I digress.

The food at Candelas is great and innovative. If you are looking for tacos, burritos, etc. go to Miguel's Cocina on the opposite side of the island. Candelas is upscale Mexico City style food. Duck, rib eyes, steak and sea food with a variety of great sauces and cooking techniques.

They also have great appetizers, octopus ceviche, calamari, avacado stuffed with seafood.

Of the 8 to maybe 10 times I've been here, I've never had bad service or anything but very good service from a staff that is pleasant.