“Inventive and Delicious”

Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus stops at the Ferry Landing.
Description: Our goal at Candelas on the Bay, located in Coronado, is to serve the best authentic Mexican cuisine in the San Diego area using only the finest and freshest ingredients. The breathtaking views of the San Diego skyline and an impeccable service make up for an unforgettable dining experience. Menu selections at Candelas range from delicious tacos al pastor to mouthwatering mole dishes, as well as traditional breakfasts, appetizers and desserts. We offer several unique and versatile dining accommodations with an intimate and sophisticated décor to meet your every need, whether it be a date, family reunion or large gathering. A semi-private room for business meetings, tables with a view for a romantic dinner, wedding ceremony areas on the beach, or the entirety of our restaurant are available for any event or happening.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I went here for a work function...what a change of pace!!! Lovely view of the bay. The menu was fantastic. Something for everyone. I enjoyed the local ingredients and variety of food. I had the eggplant tower...divine. Enjoy!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We ate here for dinner on a chilly, breezy night. The inside dining area was very loud, but the patio was perfect. It was quiet, and the combination of the heaters and the glass walls kept the patio nice and warm.

The view is phenomenal, and the food and drinks were very good. Easy to accommodate vegetarian diets.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Delicious meal of tostadas, tortilla soup, shrimp with honey, and tres leches cake with lots of white wine. Great service, pretty place.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Met friends for dinner at Candelas and enjoyed it immensely. The view of San Diego is fantastic and food and service is solid! A great choice for dining while on the island. Great for friends or a romantic night out.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

On a weekend excursion with friends who live in San Diego, we dined at Candelas on the Bay. It was a rainy night and I was on the Paleo diet so I was not hoping for much. We arrived early on a Friday night and were instantly seated by the window with an amazing view of the San Diego nightline. We brought our own bottle of wine for the $15 corkage fee. When I reviewed the menu, I was ecstatic when I noticed several Paleo options of delicious Mexican dishes. My party remained with non-dietary choices and enjoyed their meals. Meanwhile, I had the guilt-free 5 small duck tacos served with onion, pineapple, cilantro and salsas wrapped in a jicama tortilla! For those readers who don’t know, Paleo is a virtually no carb diet that does not usually coincide with Mexican cuisine. After consuming all of my tacos, I was extremely satisfied and my party were also impressed with the dish.

The menu includes other great dishes for a reasonably priced and well established restaurant. The ambience and service were fantastic and parking is readily available in the adjacent lot. I noticed the bar area was expansive and the restroom facilities were more than adequate. On our way out, I wanted to thank the owner and was informed that he was enjoying a meal next to our table. I did not want to bother him so I decided to make my recommendations on Trip Advisor. When visiting or living in San Diego, Candelas needs to be on everyone’s short list.