“Late night happy hour? Yes, please!”

Candelas on the Bay
Ranked #36 of 101 Restaurants in Coronado
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus stops at the Ferry Landing.
Description: Our goal at Candelas on the Bay, located in Coronado, is to serve the best authentic Mexican cuisine in the San Diego area using only the finest and freshest ingredients. The breathtaking views of the San Diego skyline and an impeccable service make up for an unforgettable dining experience. Menu selections at Candelas range from delicious tacos al pastor to mouthwatering mole dishes, as well as traditional breakfasts, appetizers and desserts. We offer several unique and versatile dining accommodations with an intimate and sophisticated décor to meet your every need, whether it be a date, family reunion or large gathering. A semi-private room for business meetings, tables with a view for a romantic dinner, wedding ceremony areas on the beach, or the entirety of our restaurant are available for any event or happening.
Los Angeles, California
“Late night happy hour? Yes, please!”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was in Coronado seeing a show, and afterwards, at 10:30 at night, my friends and I wanted to have a drink and talk. But have you been to Coronado? The place closes up as soon as the Matlock reruns go off the air at 10. There is no place open late. No place except for Candelas. I was afraid they would be closed as well, but lo and behold, they were open with people inside. And best of all, it was happy hour! So all food and drink was half off. I heard this restaurant was normally pretty expensive, but the happy hour prices were fabulous. Three of us had drinks and appetizers for $22. Hello! On top of that, our waitress, a pretty blonde woman with a European accent, was as nice as could be.

• Visited July 2011

• Turkish first
Vail, Colorado
“Nice view of SD and great martini”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Only went for a drink but had a really great martini. Friendly staff and nice bay view overlooking SD

Park City
“Tourist Trap - Nothing More Than a Great View”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

If you are looking for a restaurant with a spectacular view than this would be the one. If you are looking for good food and service than I would strongly encourage you to go somewhere else. The food was insanely bland and the service was poor at best.

Visited May 2011
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
“A True Tourist Trap - There are much better choices”
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I live in San Diego and thought this might be a nice place to take my wife for her birthday.
Was I ever wrong! I should have known something was wrong when I called to make reservations. I am always friendly and kind in my conversations and this was no different. I was met with an unfriendly tone bordering on rude when I asked for what times were available.
The dining experience was truly something one would expect at a, "greasy spoon", in a high traffic tourist destination. I should have trusted my first impression when making the reservation. Rudeness is the order of the day. No one smiles and everyone is looking for your money. They really push the high profit drinks!!!
They are selling the view - its spectacular. There is nothing else here I couldn't have experienced at MacDonalds - only they are nicer to you there.
For alternatives I suggest you either try Peohe's (view and nice people) or Primavera (no view but great food) located more in the center of Coronado. You won't be disappointed in either.

• Visited May 2011
“Your paying for the view that's it!!!!!”
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Amazing view but horrible food and bad service! But...loved the view

1 Thank Angelicak614