“We will be back!”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Tucson AZ
“We will be back!”
Reviewed June 7, 2007

We just got back from our stay at the Dell dated June 4th. I was very apprehensive due to the bad reviews on keeping our resv for ocean front room at the Dell. Our 3 night stay started very rocky, but it ended great. First off the bell desk didn't approach us when we pulled up due to them extremely busy. We had to get our luggage out of the car ourselves. We went up to the bell desk to have them store our luggage for us until we came back to check in. When we came back we decided to do self parking and to save the extra $. We circled around the parking lot for at least 30 minutes or longer to get a parking space. We couldn't get a parking spot due to the tourists and the construction workers. I guess no room for their guests. My suggestion for anyone DO NOT DO THE SELF PARKING until the construction is all done!! When we finally got into our room at the Ocean Towers our faces turned from a frown to a happy face. The ocean front room was big. Loved that 42 inch TV. The bathroom was big with 2 sinks and of course the view of our beach was fantastic. We saw that the construction at the Ocean Towers was going on the 1st and 2nd floor. We were on the 3rd floor. On our 2nd day there we heard jack hammering. It sounded like it was next door. We didn't let this upset us we went and toured San Diego. Other then the jack hammering we heard very little noise from the construction. Of course we weren't in our room for most of the day to hear all the construction. Most of the time we were back by 3pm and the construction workers had all gone or was finishing up. So the construction wasn't an issue for us. We did eat the breakfast buffet and the food and the service was top notch. Well worth the $20 pp price. We didn't eat anywhere else at the Dell due to their high prices. Our bill didn't include $70 in charges. We weren't charged for the valet parking for 2 days and we ordered 2 in room movies but was charged just for one of the movies (we didn't let them know!). I have no problems on going back to the Dell if we do the Ocean Front room.

• Liked — It was big. It was remodeled and looked great.
  • Disliked — The internet wasnt wireless.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Minybear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, OH
Reviewed June 6, 2007

We stayed 3 nights at the Del in Mid-May. I loved the property itself, very charming. We took the hotel shuttle from the airport- excellent experience. We called from baggage claim and waited about 5 minutes at the curb before driver arrived. Our driver, Patrick, couldn't have been a better ambassador. Upon finding out that this was our first trip to San Diego, he drove us on a min-tour of Coronado, pointing out some other nice restaurants in the area and giving recommendations on the Gas Lamp District and touring. We didn't end up eating at any of the restaurants on the property; we did have drinks at the bar. The service was slow and indifferent. We were told on check-in that the room that we had requested -Victorian with balcony was not available b/c they were full with a conference. Check-in staff wanted to move us to The Tower- after what I'd read in this forum, I refused. They then gave us the key to a room to look at and approve. It was a room with a balcony in the Victorian building (Which is what we had requested in the first place). We accepted- the room was small, but nice. I would have left a happy camper, but on Day 3- we arrived back in our room at 5pm after a day of touring to find that it had not been cleaned. We needed naps, so I called at 6:30 to report to Housekeeping. I was given no apology. I expressly told them not to send anyone until 7:30 b/c we needed to get ready for dinner reservations. At 7pm maid knocked at door- I was in a robe, obviously just out of shower- and I told her she needed to come back after 7:30. She told me she was off at 8. (Is that my problem?) When we returned at midnight- room still was not cleaned! I did not call anyone at that point- we were checking out in AM and were ready for bed. Our check out was smooth, we rented a car from the Hertz on the property and it was very convenient. Bellman was prompt and very helpful- even requested map from Hertz representative and recommended routes for us. Overall, I'm glad we stayed at this one-of-kind property, but we would not go back. We have stayed at another property associated with KSL resorts- The Homestead in Virginia. Grand old hotel in beatiful location. The big difference- superb customer service. The Del deserves to be the same type of property.

• Liked — location, history
  • Disliked — inconsistent customer service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Whr2Next
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 5, 2007

Stay away - Loud construction starting at 7am outside Ocean view rooms and by the pool. Hotel will not notify you of the noise when you book - stay somewhere else until next year when the construciton is finished. If you don't mind the noise stay at a cheaper construction site for the day.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Vacationer065
Maryland
Reviewed June 1, 2007

Oh, this place could be perfect if someone would gather the staff and teach them to communicate with one another. The irritating lack of service is ruining an otherwise gorgeous resort.

I had to travel from the East Coast to San Diego for a business meeting -could stay only two nights. My husband came along. We're both patient, pleasant people, but long flights tire us out. Six hour plane ride from BWI to San Diego was exhausting. Knowing we had only two nights, we were optimistic about maximizing our visit.

Upon landing, I was amazed at how the fresh, clean air smells in San Diego. Cab ride to "The Del" was exhilerating and I was mesmerized when we came over the bridge to see all of the red pointed roofs and palm trees. It was magical. From afar, the hotel and its grounds look like a wonderland that you see only in the illustrations in childrens' books.

Upon check in, we were "upgraded" to the Ocean Tower. Hubby and I only read about other people who enjoy spontaneous upgrades, so we were shocked and happy. We took our luggage and hauled it across to what is the "Howard Johnson's Annex." (No bellman around)

A red roof has been slapped on this otherwise ugly building that had zero character or charm and called "The Ocean Tower". Our view was of the dumpster in the parking lot. We hauled our suitcases for the 1/2 mile trek back to the lobby and waited in a long line and asked for a different room.

They offered a room in the main bldg. We went there, hauling bags behind us. It had a view of dump trucks doing work. We hauled our suitcases back and waited in line again (subliminal message: after a six hour flight, we've now been hauling suit cases around for over an hour) - There is a lot of hustle bustle and chaos in the main lobby and we had the impression that if we didn't take our luggage, it may never find us - NO organization at all . . . tons of people, long check in lines. Front desk clerks seem to care only about what time their shift ends.

We went back, asking for a room that wasn't looking at a dumpster or dump trucks. They said another guest would be checking out of a room that we could have. We were told to grab lunch and come back and the room would be ready.

For the next six hours we paid for and ate lunch in their bar, walked the grounds, toured the gift shop and kept visiting the front desk asking if our room was ready. Each time we had to wait in line, talk to a new clerk and start the process all over again. (if you went to the side of the front desk, no one would acknowledge you were standing there)

Everything is disconnected. We made reservations for dinner that night at their new place, 1500 Ocean. Room still wasn't ready . . . waiting . . . new desk clerks as the shifts have changed. Concierge, Hillary, finally helped us and gave us coupons for two free drinks. (At this point it's almost insulting) Not until she became involved did anything happen. Another hour later, housekeeping was finally called ( by my husband and I ) - We told housekeeping to call the concierge and/or front desk. If we hadn't done that, we might still be waiting. The front desk simply says, "we'll call you" - but they never do.

It was a long flight, a long day and nowhere to rest. Finally at 6:45 pm we entered our room and decided to lay down for a quick nap as our dinner reservations were for 8:30 pm.

We fell asleep, drained and exhausted. We woke up at midnight. We missed the reservation, missed dinner . . . missed the whole night - - half of our trip was gone.

Our partial ocean view room in the main bldg. was beautiful. The main hotel is beautiful. The lunch we had was delicious - The bar, Babcock & Story is very nice.

The shops are great . . . history of the hotel is fascinating. Brunch in the Crown Room was spectacular - couldn't have been better!!

This could have been a vastly different experience for us if the front desk had their act together. It was February, so the pool wasn't open. We were sort of "lost" in their system's shuffle for an entire day.

Still, San Diego was lovely. My company's annual meeting will be there in Jan. 08 and I'd like to extend and stay for vacation. It's a shame that "The Del" has such service problems. The concierge did call at 7:00 pm that night to see if we finally checked in. She was the ONLY staff member who seemed engaged in the process.

It was ridiculous, but I might give it another try because it's a stunning resort and Coronado Island is a place we should all visit. However, given my experience, I may just go up to Santa Monica and stay in Hotel Casa Del Mar, where service and surroundings can't be beat.

The Del is obviously taking in a lot of money. Why not spend some on "The Ocean Tower" and make the exterior look like it belongs with the rest of the hotel? Some period appropriate railings and shutters, etc. ?? It would make a huge difference.

POSITIVES: The aesthetics, location, food, linens, outdoor grounds, shops, history, restaurants, proximity to the gas lamp district w/lots of restaurants Brunch in the Crown Room was spectacular!!!!!!!!!!! proximity to the San Diego Zoo (the best)

NEGATIVES: The staff doesn't care . . . . about anything . . . . much less the guests. At one point, one staff member was hollering at the elevator tech for chaining the elevator - too many episodes to list.

• Liked — The grounds -aesthetics
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
11 Thank Siameseowner
Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2007

Having seen the negative reviews below, I was a little apprehensive about our stay. However, I am pleased to say that we had a great time at the Del. The only negatives, which in no way detracted from our experience, are the high costs, and the resort fee (by far the highest such fee I've ever paid, and I don't feel that the components add up to $22 value; it's not optional, so I'd rather have it buried in the room rates rather than feeling I'm being nickle-and-dimed; but, hey, it's vacation so not a huge deal). With regard to generally high costs, in fairness, the prices for accommodation and food are not atyipcal of this class of resort.

We had the daily breakfast buffet at Sheerwater's which was far superior to most other breakfast buffets (in terms of quality and freshness) I've had and in my mind quite reasonable at $20 pp. The ice cream shop was great. Otherwise, we ate in town, there is a very good variety (and, surprisingly, not overrun by fast food chains).

Location was excellent--right on the beach, but within a short walk to shops and restaurants (not to mention a 20 minute drive to the airport in morning rush hour). The property was beautiful, and will only be enhanced once construction is completed.

Our room rate was in the Ocean Towers with a resort (i.e. parking lot) view. The building's exterior was Hampton Inn-like and in need of some TLC (probably to come, given the extensive construction), but the guest rooms are being completely redone. Our room was spacious, with new furniture and a 42" plasma TV; I would have liked to have had wireless internet instead of the high-speed wired (especially since internet t was included in the resort fee), but a minor detail. I've seen some Tripadvisor reviews suggest that the newer buildings are soul-less, but I thought it was very nice, modern without the cold starkness of some newer hotels (and, besides, it looks like at least some rooms in the older building had been remodeled similarly).

We asked for a room away from the construction and were never bothered by it. In fact, while construction was underway throughout the resort, it was fairly unobtrusive and certainly did not detract from our experience.

The fitness room, while small, was well equipped with new gear.

The throngs of tourists coming through by the busload got to be a little much at times, making it a little difficult to get around some of the public spaces (inside and outside), but this was generally limited to nighttimes and not a big deal.

Contrary to some other comments, I found service to be uniformly professional, courteous and friendly, from all employees (bell staff, front desk, restaurants, shops, fitness room)-- no issues there for me. I was asked when making the reservation if it was a special occasion, and was pleased when we returned to our room one night to find a nice bottle of wine with wine glasses--a nice touch.

Family-friendly too. Our kids weren't with us, but we saw quite a variety of activities planned for kids. For one large private group, they had a rather elaborate day-long set of activities (including some impressive play houses) set up on the beach.

Overall, a great experience.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank canucktrip
OMAHA
Reviewed May 19, 2007

this is the worst place i hve ever been at!!!! the service was terrible, there was construction, the beach was closed and the pool was doing renevations! This place is overpriced and over rated! everything was terrible! don't go here! ever!

Stayed May 2007
6 Thank yOrOOmaha
Northern Ireland
Reviewed May 16, 2007

Fantastic Old hotel directly on the seafront. We stayed in Ocean towers which could do with a makeover as they are starting to show their age, however everything worked and service was excellent.

• Liked — Direct access to beach
  • Disliked — In need of update
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 16 in Coronado

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!