TripAdvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
6,999 results
All reviews victorian building ice skating sun deck ocean view elevator operator sheerwater restaurant iconic hotel crown room marilyn monroe main building bucket list san diego bannock del coronado beautiful beach main pool junior suite
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Beach front balcony room was very expensive, the balcony has zero privacy from your neighbors. The room was extremely small and tight. We called concierge multiple times from the room and was sent to voicemail. Walking down to co concierge, 2 people were at the desk doing nothing. Breakfast at the restaurant was very expensive and the variety was very minimal and the food was cold.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton
HotelDelCoronado, General Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear hisislandgirl2019,

I’m sorry to hear that your Del experience was less than stellar. I greatly appreciate your valuable feedback and will be addressing your concerns with my team immediately. I hope one day you find it in your heart to return and allow us the opportunity to make things up to you.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The entire Ocean Tower is infested with ants. We were moved to multiple rooms on different floors and all of them were infested. Crawling everywhere, in the bed etc. Disgusting! Were then moved to a different building that was outside of major construction that started at 630am.

• Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear jc7443,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. This is quite concerning and I will be handling the issue immediately. I am very sorry you had this experience. I completely understand your frustrations and would feel the same way in your position. Please reach out to my team directly at ExecutiveOffice@hoteldel.com so we can find a way to make things up to you.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It was a very nice visit but we only stayed overnight . . . it was an anniversary celebration and we were expecting it to be a bit more "special". The conceirge gave us wrong information about needing reservations at Serea for dinner so we were not able to get seated without a 2 hour wait. We dined at Sheerwater instead; although it was a nice dinner, it was something we could have done back home in Orange County.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Despite its idyllic location and iconic reputation, this is the biggest rip off. It was going downhill property wise and most likely financial as well before Hilton took over. Have to say, no better. My wife and I made reservations at the grand old hotel to celebrate our anniversary. Paid nearly a year in advance for a roughly $800/night room with a request for a balcony overlooking the ocean. Agent agreed to request that room not be changed.

At the check-in line we waited patiently behind the line on the floor to register. When the guest at the counter was finished, we walked up to the counter only to be told by the agent, “Next time, stand behind the line until called.” Should I have said, “Yes mommie, sorry?” Then to make matters worse our room was not ready (at 4pm? Check-in is at 3!) AND when asked about the balcony we were told, “The Del never guarantees a balcony.” As it turned out, we did get a balcony room and it was lovely. No complaints whatsoever. But, we will never return because as the arrogant lady said, “The Del never guarantees a balcony.” And who would pay in advance, travel 1000s of miles, and get not what was paid for many months in advance. Bottom line is that in their zeal to maximize revenue, it is my opinion that the opposite will occur with that nutty balcony policy. And do not think because you are a mature, wealthy, and deem yourself someone to respect and cater to...ain’t (sic) gonna happen.

As to the costs: First off, and in general, the restaurants are a great venue for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But, just average food at exorbitant prices. Eno is a case in point. Pizza is wafer thin, small, and ingredients applied with a thimble. Worse it tastes like bad pizza. How about an ice cream cone to wash away the taste of bad pizza. Cough up $10 for a single scope and there you go.

For $800 or $900 a night perhaps you are expecting to get an umbrella and a couple of chairs for the world famous beach. Forget that too. Forget expecting a reasonable charge as well. You will have to make do with that towel you feel guilty about getting from your room. OR simply come up with $75 and a tip to get an umbrella and a couple of worn/torn chairs that a 3rd party vendor drags down to like 50 yards of the surf.

Oops. I forgot the parking. $50/night. Valet service only. And one valet told us, they don’t make much while the Del cleans up. So, I tipped $5 every time I used my vehicle.

Last comment: After recovering from what I thought was a rude reception at registration, I asked an agent at the desk to speak to the appropriate manager. I was told, I would have to give her the complete story and she would check with the manager to see if he would agree to meet with me!

So, it makes you feel important, privileged, well off, and etc have at it. Enjoy. You do deserve it.

Room tip: Get a balcony room. REMEMBER you cannot be assured of getting one.
Date of stay: August 2019
2  Thank pghgene

Dear pghgene,

This review was hard to read. I am terribly sorry you had this experience at the Hotel del Coronado. The service you received is absolutely unacceptable and I will be making the necessary improvements immediately. This should have been a relaxing anniversary retreat and I sincerely apologize that it was the opposite. Please, at your earliest convenience, reach out to my team directly at ExecutiveOffice@hoteldel.com as we would love the opportunity to make things up to you.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We got married 21 years ago on the beach at the Hotel Del Coronado. It was beautiful, our room was lovely, service was nice and surroundings lovely! We came back this year and it was terrible! The valet was a disaster. Our room wasn’t ready even over an hour after the promised check in time of 4:00 and once we got to our room it was so bad. Dirty windows, the furniture looked like it came from the curb, it wasn’t clean. I called to ask them about it and they did nothing. The did apologize for not having the room ready but would not move us or change our room in any way. This wasn’t a cheap room either! I booked with American Express and was supposed to be offered an upgrade which didn’t happen. Not sure why they let such a beautiful place go so downhill. Very sad!

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank nmurray73

Dear nmurray73,

Wow, this review was difficult to read. After 21 years, the return to your wedding destination should have been incredible—I am terribly sorry we let you down. We are currently making the necessary changes to not only enhance the legendary charm of our historic hotel but to maximize guests’ experiences. We clearly weren’t on our game during your visit and we would love the opportunity to make things right. Please, at your earliest convenience, reach out to my team directly at ExecutiveOffice@hoteldel.com so we can further discuss your trip.