Hotel del Coronado
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
La Avenida Inn(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$200
$180
$305
$254
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
El Cordova Hotel(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$279
$319
Travelocity
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Villa Capri by the Sea(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$219
$203
Glorietta Bay Inn(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$215
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
Crown City Inn(Coronado)
No availability for your dates from our partners
5,750 results
All reviewsvictorian buildingocean towersheerwater restaurantsun deckcalifornia cabanasice skatingelevator operatorocean fronticonic hotelfull ocean viewmain buildingmarilyn monroesan diegobucket listbannocknavy sealsdel coronado
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 26, 2010

A nice place, with very comfy rooms. Breakfast on the veranda overlooking the marina is lovely as the warm summer sun bathes you as you eat.

Visiting Coronado town, just where the famous hotel California sits is worth a trip and there are some excellent eateries and bars to entertain you.

One thing to watch out for, the restaurant operates silly hours so if you arrive as we did at 10 pm you are unable to get food other than through room service.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I'm going to write an ongoing evaluation to see if it improves. I just got here and it's not good. I had such high hopes but sadly they are dashed. I arrive and the staff tell me I should wait two hours because they'll give me a better room. Stupidly I believe this- the better room is actually a room overlooking roof work. Yeah smelling tar and having thE work guys come thru the room right next door to get to the roof- yeah that's good. I call amd complain- did I mention that I am here for 8 nights?!! Should someone here be happy I am spending my money at this location! Well apparently not because they offer me a room above the ball room and in a busy hallway. I'm stuck there for now but I am about to abandon this whole thing. Did I mention I am also scoping places for my company? This is sad and not worth the money. Day 1 fellow travellers- don't stay here

Reviewed June 20, 2010

Just returned from a stay at the Hotel Del Coronado. The hotel is old and historic, very beautiful and well kept. The grounds were in amazing condition. The staff was helpful and kind, and went out of their way to accommodate us when we needed assistance. The location of the hotel is great, as Coronado provides a peaceful setting for walking, dining out, riding bikes, etc. The beach was clean and uncrowded, though being from the East coast, I was shocked at how chilly both the air and water temperatures were. Not much swimming!

My one complaint is that I felt like the hotel is overpriced based on the product, and gouges the guests of the hotel because it could once they were a captive audience. It is a nice hotel, no doubt. But I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express the night before in LA, and there wasn't a huge difference between quality of rooms. And $25 a day to park your car? (By the way, the valet parking was $35 and the lot was further away from the hotel than the self parking). $13 for a drink by the pool? I felt the restaurants and spa were overpriced as well. Again, just my opinion. We went out for dinner in the Gas Lamp District in San Diego and in Coronado and had a fun time exploring the city. I recommend leaving the property to eat or to get a massage. All and all, really glad I stayed there, just wish I was more aware of the prices.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2010

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at The Del and we are pleased that you found our associates helpful and accommodating. We hope next time you visit that you will take advantage of some of our special offerings including Tasting Tuesdays at ENO where you receive 10 wine tastings for $10; dine in any of our restaurants where kids eat for just $5; enjoy a relaxing spa treatment on Wednesdays for $99 or partake in complimentary family s’mores nights throughout the summer. We hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back to The Del.

Reviewed June 19, 2010

I just left the Hotel del Coronado. This was our final destination for 4 nihgts out of a 2 week vacation that started in Sonoma. I was traveling with my parents. Originally we had reservations at the Loews but after some last minute reading reviews on this site, I was worried about the noise issues and upon calling the Loews my worries were not put to ease. My parents being in there 70's and me in my mid 30's wanted a quiet stay for our last nights in California, so I booked the 4 night stay with a partial ocean view. We stayed in the Ocean Tower and I will say we were right on the beach. We could hear the waves and that was very relaxing at night but for the price of this hotel and 4 star rating we really felt it fell short on sevice. The staff really missed on those little things that make 4 star hotel a 4 star hotel. For example, when checking in and given our room we were never told that we were in bulding 6 and therefore the first digit of our room number was the building number and the second digit indicated the flooor number and there was no one around to help up. Fortunately a fellow guest saw that we were lost and helped us find our room. Then, originally we were using the valet but then realized self parking was closer to our room, upon changing this it was never explained to me that after getting the ticket that I would have to go back to the front desk and they would stamp it and I would show to the person at the parking booth and lastley upon arranging for a shuttle to take us to the airport, I was never given the option of having the shuttle pick us up right outside our building but just told to meet it outside. Forunately our bell hop, who was wonderful and friendly on the day of check out asked me where we were being picked up and I told him I didn't know there was a choice so he made a quick call and arranged for the shuttle to meet us right outside. Now, are these huge things no, but when staying at 4 star hotel I expect the little things, the things that make you feel catered to. I also found that the staff at the reception and conceirage not welcoming and could barely get a smile from them. The conceriage did minimal actually. I will say that house keeping staff was very pleasant and friendly. I did love being on the beach and did enjoy the adult only pool, but if I went back to the San Diego area I would not stay at the Del again. Not worth the price and I definately didn't feel catered to, just really disappointed in the service. Also, bathroom was quite small. I would tell someone visiting the area to visit the hotel to see this historic site, which the main buidling is beautiful, but stay elsewhere because this hotel is really over rated.

• Stayed: June 2010

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your recent stay at The Del and we are sorry to hear of the service issues you experienced. We are constantly striving to maintain our reputation as one of the world’s finest resorts, but it’s obvious that we failed to achieve our own goals for providing legendary service. We certainly understand your frustrations and extend our most sincere apologies for the disappointments you encountered. Again, thank you for your constructive feedback and for choosing The Del as your vacation destination. We hope one day you and your family will return so that we may demonstrate the excellent service we know we are capable of providing

Reviewed June 18, 2010

My family of four just returned from what is probably our 8th stay at the Del. We always end up in the main Victorian building at the Del, because it is by far the nicest beachfront experience in the SD area. They do a superb job of keeping up the building, property and especially the rooms, especially considering the constant traffic in and out of the sandy beach. We've done it all, learned from some mistakes, made some nice discoveries and by now have our trips to the beach at the Del down to a routine that works for us.

What works for us: Whatever the reservation agent says that's importhat to you, get it in writing. Reserve a room that's guaranteed to be large enough for us (2 adults and 2 teenagers). Most room categories in the old Victorian building have very wide differences in the size of rooms they cover, what amenities they're near and their view (or lack thereof). The Del tends to overstate how many people a room in that building can comfortably hold. Also reserve a room that's guaranteed to have a certain location if you need it (for example, beachfront). Most rooms can't guarantee much, so if you don't get one, expect the worst to avoid disappointment. Rooms usually aren't ready until the 4pm check in, so plan an appropriate activity for while you wait. Self parking is as convenient as valet, and is $10/day cheaper. The activities and restaurants at the Del are good (just), but very expensive, and you can find equally good activities and much better food within easy walking distance of the hotel for much less money. One exception is the wine bar which is a great value for those brief hours without the kids. The in room coffee makes for a nice breakfast with pastries brought in from a local bakery.

What we still haven't worked out: Check in can be stressful after a day of travel, the surprise of what room you've been assigned (there is usually not much choice if you need to change rooms) and the knowledge that hotel staff are surprisingly unempowered for a property of this caliber. Add on charges of the daily resort fee (covers, among other things, the in room coffee and horribly unreliable wifi) and parking also seem out of place after already having paid so much for the room.

We love our experiences at the Dell and will be back!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family