“The $500 tab per night made me want to puke like the guy above us.”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed August 27, 2006

The Hotel Del is on a lovely piece of land.(I've seen prettier in Hawaii, Tahiti, and Australia.) It is close to restaurants and shops. We did not try those on site. However, our room was definitely less than expected from such a pricey place. Next to some interstate, this room would cost $79 a night.
The pool was fun but, eventhough it was heated, it still felt cool at night. The hot tub was full of kids (mine was one of them) but he was supervised and self-controlled. Not all of the others were. As we made our way back to our room one night a couple of mothers allowed their 4 or 5 kids to run and scream down the hall. Because our baby was sleeping I had to wait till they passed to open the door. It was like standing next to the track wall at a Nascar race. One of the inconsiderate mothers made some comment to me which I did not hear after she noticed my annoyed expression. We are originally from Mississippi, perhaps we expected more civility from other guests at a hotel with the Hotel Del's rep. You'd think $500 a night would keep the yahoos out. Money does not buy class. That reminds me...someone above us, probably from the bunch that were yelling to each as if they were all deaf, threw up on our patio and the baby stroller that was on it.
The $500 includes the resort fee and valet parking, which is only $6 more than self parking. Amazingly, we had to walk farther to get to the valet guys than to our car. If you stay in the Ocean Towers park yourself...shorter walk, no wait and save 6 bucks. We stayed 2 nights so, this just might be the worst $1000 I've ever spent. I wish I had invested that grand in a trip to Hawaii.
The hotel is popular with wedding groups because of the fairly scenic beach. It was NOT a good choice for us as a base for sight-seeing.

8  Thank Jaju2
There are newer reviews for Hotel del Coronado

Reviewed August 26, 2006

I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hotel del Coronado. It is just ok given the price. The room was lovely (we were on the first floor with no view) and the bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately, the hotel has a few problems.

First, it was overrun with tourists who were not guests. There were long lines at the restaurants and to get towels and chairs for the beach (the hotel provides these to the general public for a fee). This definitely detracts from the experience.

Also, my family and I would get dressed for dinner only to sit next to people wearing board shorts and flip flops. I realize that California is casual, but the hotel needs some sort of dinner dress code.

There were lots of kids, which was great for me but it would be annoying if you were trying to have a romantic getaway.

The pool (which is reserved for guests) was cold and crowded.

I have stayed at lots of great resort hotels and this is not one of them. I agree with the responder who recommends staying someplace else and dropping by for a drink.

We paid $575/night for the room plus a $22/night resort fee. For this price I definitely expected better service.

4  Thank Montie56
Reviewed August 23, 2006

I was a little worried about staying at the del after reading some of the reviews, but was pleasantly surprised with the outstanding quality of service, dining, and staff.

I stayed at the del for three nights at the beginning of August. It was an 85th birthday celebration for my grandmother and we had five women in two adjoining rooms in the towers. Our rooms were fairly typical hotel rooms, but the views and balcony over the beach were priceless. My grandmother loved sitting on the balcony and watching all the activity below--we saw no less than four weddings--lots of fun.

We ate most of our meals at the hotel and the food was superb. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I've had. Yes, water, soda, ice cream, everything is expensive but I've found that to be true at most fine hotels these days. If you don't want to pay $4.00 for a bottle of water, walk a block down the street to Walgreens and buy your own supply.

You must rent bikes and ride around the tiny island of Coronado. It's lots of fun and easy riding.

Don't hesitate to stay at the del... you will love it.

Stayed: August 2006
5  Thank skimom64
Reviewed August 20, 2006

My husband and I spent three wonderful days at the Del in early August. We were somewhat apprehensive after reading some disappointing reviews, but our stay did not disappoint us at all.
We stayed in the VIctorian building. Even though there was not supposed to be a view, we faced the courtyard gardens and could see the ocean. Our room was very tastefully decorated and extremely clean. We enjoyed the "adult pool" away from all the noise. The interior of the hotel and the grounds are stunning. We ate our meals out of the hotel, due to prices and crowds, especially at breakfast time. There are many wonderful cafes right down the street from the hotel. We also enjoyed delicious meals in San Diego while sightseeing. We can' t wait to visit the Del Coronado again.

5  Thank sumrfun
Reviewed August 17, 2006

After reading some reviews stating that the lack of service at the Del is due to the extreme attention required by all their weddings and events, I was inspired to share my story. I will correct you all that apparently the lack of service is due to just that....lack of service.
We spent over a year planning the perfect wedding at the del, feeling confident that at the price we were paying (over 70k for 100 guests) it would be perfect in every way. I will not go into all of the problems that arose during the planning process, mainly because there are too many to name, and as this is irrelevant to the average hotel guest. I will, however, go into detail of the lack of service and attention that occured on our actual wedding day (causing yet more stress for everyone):

1. The "get ready room" we were provided with was an empty conference room...no mirror, no changing area (according to my husband the one he was assigned was even worse).
2. The "room service" we ordered to the get-ready room was incomplete and several items were forgotten-we were charged for an order of chicken fingers that never showed up
3. Our wedding package provided us with an ocean front jr. suite for the wedding night, which, upon check-in, turned out to be a standard room with two full beds. This was only corrected after my dad stood in line for another 20 min. at the front desk (does a bride really have the time to worry about room arrangements two hours before her wedding?)
4. Not only was the cake the del's baker (which we were forced to use) provided, not the cake that we requested or payed for, but the del lost our top layer.
5.Upon arrival to our Jr. suite that evening- there were no special "goodies" of any kind left for us. Maybe I have watched too many movies, but I always assumed that the bridal suite would at least have a bottle of champagne in it. And, after talking with many other married couples, it seems like a standard thing for the hotel to provide (although some hotels even went to the extent of spreading rose petals, etc.) According to the hotel's catering manager (that we were forced to work with) the top layer of our cake should have been delivered to our room...so maybe the "goodies" are where ever the cake is? Other problems with the room included a clogged drain in the shower, so the water filled up to our shins when showering.

I have recently discovered that the del's catering manager has been fired not only for ruining my wedding, but apparently many others as well. So I guess its a good sign that the hotel is at least making an attempt to improve their service. But, until some major changes can be made, I advise everyone to think twice about having their event at the del.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
39  Thank leelee8300
Reviewed August 16, 2006

We recently were vacationing in San Diego, and stopped by the Hotel Del for lunch at the Sundeck Grill. The view of the beach was lovely! The Sundeck is very casual--cafeteria style. I ordered the Asian Chicken Salad. I expected it to be a freshly prepared salad, with fresh grilled chicken. Instead, they pulled it out of the refrigerator case, premade. The chicken was dark brown, fatty, and looked far less than fresh. Frankly, I wouldn't have fed it to a dog! Plus, it cost just shy of $10!! I brought it back, waiting on a long line to return it. They accepted it back, no questions asked. I ordered a mesquite grilled chicken breast instead. They did not refund me the difference in price (which was small, but still...principle...). The grilled chicken breast was salty, bland and tough. It had absolutely no mesquite flavor and tasted as if it had just been reheated from the day before.

Overall, a shockingly bad dining experience from such a supposedly reputable hotel!! And at such prices!!!

7  Thank 203nancyc
Reviewed August 15, 2006

Just came back from the del Coronado in San Diego.
* Valet parking took 20 minutes
* Check in - a line up 10 parties deep
* shoulder to shoulder people in the lobby, and all public areas
* unreliable staff - conflicting prices from check-in to check-out
- information about services, where and what
- generally either friendly nor helpful
*Business Centre closes at 8, so no internet access unless you bring your own laptop
*Sloped room, definitely shows its age
*Under some kind of labour dispute
* Family pool - uninviting, couldn't find a lounge chair
*stuffy atmosphere with elderly patrons who budge in line-ups
*enough room for family of 5, queen, sofa pullout, and nice hotel cot (charge $25)
*cool looking elevator

We definitely felt that we did not get our money's worth. $550 should leave any guest fully satisfied, but we weren't. It does not operate like a premiere hotel.

7  Thank 5inFamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#1 of 17 in Coronado
1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!