“Our 45th Anniversary To Hotel Del Coronado”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Arizona
“Our 45th Anniversary To Hotel Del Coronado”
Reviewed July 13, 2006

July 14, 2006
Our son had given us a two day stay at the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado in California for our 45th anniversary. We were given a ground floor room. The Hotel and grounds were everything we expected and the room was very clean we retired for the night which was at 11:45pm. At 1:00am we were awaken by noises of drilling and banging non-stop, laughing and tools dropping and the sounds of hand held jack-hammers. It nearly took me out of my bed. I got dressed and went to complain and was told they were re-routing some plumbing. They did not have another room for us, we were not notified this was going to take place and to make matters worse they shut off the water. Needless to say we did not sleep a wink for the rest of the night. At 7am I made my complaint to the manager and he said he would take $200.00 dollars off my bill and said they were finished as of this minute. I went back to my room to try and get at least an hour or two sleep and the drilling and noise was as loud as ever. I went back to the manager and advised him I was checking out as he could not guarantee me it would not happen a second night.. It was the most horrible experience I have ever experienced in my 66 years. I feel they were not completely honest with us and the section we were in should have been shut down while the repairs were going on. We should have been given a full refund. This experience certainly ruined out trip to California. I would not return to Hotel Del Coronado.

7 Thank RCAPhil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
kentucky
Reviewed July 9, 2006

Just got back from our 5 night stay at the Del. It was nice, loved the location, being right on the beach was beautiful and relaxing. The beach was very clean but the ocean was a bit chilly. We visited Mission Beach one evening after Sea World and by no means compared to our beach at Coronado. The grounds at this hotel are very well kept and lovely. Our room was in the Cabanas, good location, balcony overlooked the pool and steps away from the beach. It could use an update, carpet was little worn and no dresser drawer space for family of four's belongings. The staff were all very friendly, but the maid service wasn't anything to rave about, made the beds and emptied the trash was about it.

Everyone can always find plenty to complain about but overall it was a very nice hotel. I would go back in a minute. A little pricey, but if not, it would be an ordinary hotel, really just need to loose the resort and parking charge.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank bobkitten
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2006

My family (two adults and two children 8 and 12) stayed at the Del from July 1-8, 2006. I have to disagree with the negative reviews posted on this site. The hotel was great, the beach and pools were great and the service was great. The only negative was the cost - of the room, the food and the drinks. Thanks to the prior posts we were well aware of the cost and were prepared.

We had a room in the Ocean Towers. Large with a balcony. If you want to avoid the noise of the main building, the Ocean Towers are the place to stay.

We arrived very early - at 10:30 a.m. The front desk was extremely helpful and got a room ready for us in 25 minutes. The concierge was also very helpful in making arrangements for sidetrips to the zoo and seaworld, making recommendations about dinner, and arranging for a taxi to be at the Ocean Towers entrance at 5:15 a.m. on the day of our departure.

The hotel had a number of wonderful events for the kids - including smores roasts on the beach and a movie night at the pool.

I highly recommend the Del for a family stay. You will love the beach, pool and the resort feeling at the Del.

5 Thank travelgirl2004
Arizona
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed over the 4th of July and absolutely loved it! It was so charming and so much fun. The beaches are beautiful and the hotel is gorgeous. We had a lot of fun learning about the history of the hotel and just wandering the grounds. You can just imagine the ladies in their finery walking about and the men smoking cigars & playing cards. If you enjoy historic homes & tours this is such a wonderful place to visit.

The concierge staff was so helpful, they made dinner reservations for us, checked us into our flights, got us discounts and gave us the scoop on where to see the fireworks.
There was construction on one side, ocean facing but I didn't notice it until the last day. I could see why it would upset those around it tho.
The adults only pool is great. It was never crowded and the service was outstanding. They were so quick with drink orders and even the towel girl came around often taking wet towels and giving you dry ones if you needed it.

We ate at Sheerwater which was good but a bit overpriced. But it was fun to eat there, I would do it again. The drinks were expensive but not horrible. And they were made well. I thought room service was a great deal. I got a sundae and my husband got cookies & milk each for only $6 to our room.

Some helpful hints: we got the lowest room you could. However, when booking we called and asked for a room with a balcony, they don't advertise it but many of the smallest rooms do have balconies that face the garden. We got one!
Get there early and beat the rush. We got there around 9ish and checked in even tho the room wasnt ready. We did get keys so we could enjoy the grounds tho and they just called on our cell when the room was ready. Later there was a huge line but we beat it by getting there early.
Read up on the hotel and enjoy the history (even the hauntings!) There is a tv channel that gives a brief overview as well as one that shows movies connected with the Del (Some Like it Hot, Wizard of Oz) - enjoy it - that is what makes the Del so unique.

Like many have said, it is an old hotel. The rooms are smaller (we heard other guests complain about the size of rooms, uh, hello!), the floors are a little warped, paint is chipped. That is life in a historic hotel. If you don't want that kind of experience stay elsewhere. If you want a resort that has character & history you won't regret staying here. It is awesome!

7 Thank mapgal
Cumberland, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed at the "Del" for one night during our California/Las Vegas trip and this hotel was the most expensive one on our trip (even though we used hot-wire) and it was a let-down. It was nice and historical however; it is over-rated! We had just stayed at The Venetian in Las Vegas (that was beautiful) and I heard rave reviews about the Del but I was not impressed at all. The room & bathroom was small, the hidden "resort fee", $20/day parking, and expensive cocktails on the deck ($22 for 2 small Pina Colada's!) all added to the dissapointment. If I were to do it again I would stay in San Diego and then drive to Coronado to visit! I would not recommend staying here unless you like paying large amounts of money for a mediocre accommodations.

5 Thank LeahB444
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2006

Don't waste your money. Speaking of money, everything in this place costs. The food, products, even parking during the day is overpriced. $20 a day for people staying at the hotel just to keep the car there. This is not including valet services of any sort. They say they give you 2 free breakfasts a day, but you still have to pay the $40 some dollars PLUS tax and gratuity. Then, they take off the price of the breakfast, but you still have to pay tax and gratuity.

You have to always wear a tacky bracelet (like the kind you get at the hospital that you can't get off without scissors) to be in the pool area. You even have to fill out a card with guest information just to take out a towel. When you return the towel, they rip up the card.

The beach is nice, though if you enjoy surfing, the waves are horrible. The coast is artifically shallow (I can go out on my feet 50-100 ft) which makes the surf too rough.

And then...there is the music. It's Saturday in July, so of course there is going to be a glitzy wedding decked out with a Mariachi band and everything. First, the hotel never notified us of this, and second, our room is directly adjacent to the great hall. It's now 23:45 and it shows no sign of stopping. I've called three times, only on the third time did they offer us another room. Tomorrow. They claimed they would tell the band to turn it down, which is never going to happen. In reality they told us to just deal with it.

I see how it is an appealing resort on the outside, but I can't see how anyone would conceivably want to stay here after experiencing it.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Hotel del Coronado is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. My family and I have stayed a the ritz carlton, four Season and Bacara hotel and never have you can such bad service. The day our kids went to the pool someone vomited in it and had human waste and no one staff member of the pool, bother to tell people to get out of the pool, until it was clean. We were charge for everything. If you went to the pool you where charge $25.00 for the tools. At the Bacara resort, not only were the towels free they where warmed up. There was a service charge for the mini bar of 21%, when I question the check-out personal, she said she did not know what is was for. She could have at lest said it was for restocking. When asked where was their golf course three member of their staff did not know. The houskeeping was trouble, we had two room and one was clean and one was not clean on one day, until we called to have it cleaned and when it was, all the sand from the beach was not even vacumed. The coffe cups and napkins, were left there for two days, never pick up. The price of this hotel is only around $75.00 more to the Ritz, four season or Bacara resort. I will spend the extra money and stay as the other hotels, next time.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!