“Honeymoon in Coronado”

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
“Honeymoon in Coronado”
Reviewed September 13, 2005

Loved it...it is very "touristy" but that is a credit to the place itself - how many hotels get tourists? Food was good but not great. I had my best meal at the boat house across Orange Blvd on the waterfront. The entire Coronado area is beautiful. Honeymooned there this past May and couldn't have asked for a better time...We're going to make it our 5-year stop.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 12, 2005

It was the end of our southern california vacation and we thought we saved the best for last. It was our first stay there. I had booked 2 nights on-line at The Del. No problem. When I went to check-in, they had no record of my reservation or deposit. Luckily, I had brought along the computer paperwork. They did not have the type of room (2 queen beds) I had reserved available so they gave me another (1 king) and gave us a roll-away. We were travelling with 2 full-grown teens. The front desk graciously said they would not charge me for the roll-away. When it came time to check-out, the bill reflected incorrect room charges which necessitated a trip to the front desk. When I asked to speak to management, I couldn't get past the person at the front desk. By this time I was deeply disappointed with all the errors and inconvenience. There was no compensation for the wrong room/bed arrangement. It wasn't at all the kind of service I expected from a hotel with their reputation and price tag.

I also followed up with the questionaire they give you upon checkout and no one ever responded. Must not mean much.

We did have a great meal at the restaurant and enjoyed the ocean-side activities, but we will not stay at the Del on our future visits to San Diego.

Reviewed September 11, 2005

We stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado Sept 9-11, 2005. Before departing on our trip I read several of the previous reviews of the hotel here on trip advisor. Many of them made me nervous, but when we checked into the hotel my fears were gone.

We arrived about 11am and left our bags with the bell desk. The front desk gave us a key to the pool and promised to call us on our cell phone when our room was ready. They called EARLY to tell us it was ready, which was a pleasant surprise. When we got to our partial oceanview room on the top floor in the Victorian cabanas we were thrilled (4300 level). The view was awesome. Ocean and beach to the left, pool to the right. A great big deck built into the roof top with tall chairs and a table. The room furnishings were beautiful. A ton of extra space. Everything very clean. And very comfy king size bed. Topping it off the hotel sent up a bottle of wine for our anniversary.

This is a beautiful hotel with a lot of history. The creaky floors and long hallways add character (some people just don't get it I guess!). All in all we had a wonderful time and would love to return sometime (after we save our money for awhile! It is expensive there!!) All of the staff that we encountered, even in the hotel shuttle to the airport, were very pleasant and helpful. Thanks to all of them for a great getaway!

P.S. The sand on the beach feels almost like flour. Very soft!!

• Stayed September 2005
Reviewed September 5, 2005

I read all of the reviews both good and bad about this hotel before going. I stayed Sept 1st through Sept 5th over the busy Labor Day weekend. Yes, the hotel is old (I stayed in the Victorian part) and it was busy over the weekend but I have to say I enjoyed my time there. I went by myself in order to relax and pamper myself.

I loved the oldness of the Victorian part, the architecture and the history. My room did not have a view but I didn't plan on staying in my room all day anyway. My bed was very comfortable with down pillows and comforter. It was clean and neat but did smell old (kind of like my grandmothers house, which I found nostalgic).

I spent Friday and Saturday on the beach, walking and taking dips in the ocean. I did not mind the Navy jets going over or watching the Navy ships off shore since I'm an Air Force brat (my Dad was in the Air Force) and I was in the Army. They were not intrusive at all.

The beach fills up in the afternoon so stake your territory out early (they provide towels and beach chairs to guests and I rented an umbrella). I love watching people and was never bothered or felt crowded.

The hotels restaurants food is expensive, I paid $18.50 for a breakfast buffet and it was not that great. I did not go to the Sunday brunch they are famous for since it was $52.50 per person and who can eat $52.50 worth of food? I found great restaurants on Orange street within walking distance. Try Tomaso's Italian Restaurant, Miguels Mexican Restaurant and yes, Marie Callanders Grill. They were all fantastic and reasonably priced.

Sunday I rented a bike and did my own tour (4 hours for $24.00) of the island. The bike had it's own map and I rode down Ocean Drive looking at all of the beautiful houses, past both the Naval Base and the Amphibious Base (Navy Seals). It was a very nice ride. You can also rent little slurrys (buggys) for more than one person.

I even had a body wrap & massage in the Hotel's Spa and even though it does have a gym like feel the service was great and I really enjoyed it.

The Del had numerous weddings going on during the weekend which accounted for all of the people plus the Labor Day weekend. I guess you just have to keep that in mind. Overall the service was great, I did not have any rude or poor service. I found if you are pleasant and smile when addressing people they will respond the same way.

Overall, I had a great time and would go back, maybe splurging on a cottage with a view of the ocean. This hotel like every other big hotel does have it's own unique problems but it shouldn't prevent you from trying it at least once.

I hope this helps anyone who is thinking twice about visiting. Like I said, I would go back again.

• Stayed September 2005
Wisconsin
Reviewed August 30, 2005

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? YES!!!!
Our family usually stays at nice middle-of-the-road motel/hotels when on vacation so when we were in Coronado we had to try "The Del" for just one night. It was the most magical night we have ever had at a hotel!!! The service, room, food, location was perfect. I can't imagine not having a great time here. The beach is great, the hotel is full of wonderful history, the staff always had a smile on their face and the room was excellent.
My kids are 14 and 11 and they also loved it.
If you are like us and like to every once in awhile treat yourself to a special place stay here. You won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank ssloon
Reviewed August 30, 2005

Stayed at Hotel del Coronado August 9 and 10, 2005. The lobby and grounds are overrun with sightseers at this historic landmark hotel.
The grounds lack full attention and imagination. For example, beneath our ocean front balcony were neglected geraniums set in dirt every three feet.
The standard full ocean view room (in renovated area) was clean with a nice Victorian decor. But for $500 night, we should not have had to listen to another guest's television through the locked, adjoining door.
Do not expect to have a quiet afternoon on the beach, as there are Navy helicopters and fighter planes thundering directly overhead on their way back to the base adjacent to the hotel, ranging in frequency from every five to every fifteen minutes.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 29, 2005

I spent 2 days and 2 nights at the Hotel Del Coronado at the end of August 2005 which was my very first trip to the hotel. I was becoming afraid of what I might expect after reading what were some very unflattering reviews both on this website and others. Count me as one of those who had an extremely positive experience.

First, my hotel room was pretty nice. It was in a full ocean view room in the newer California Cabana section. For $475 a night it was a bit much, however, the view was awesome and that's pretty much what I paid for so in the end it was well worth the money. I personally don't understand the many complaints about thin walls, musty smell and poor accomodations from others but those who are considering visiting should know in advance that it is an old hotel and certain tradeoffs come with staying in an older building. The way I looked at it was beauty vs. modernity and made an easy choice to give up some of the nicer things of staying at a modern hotel in exchange for the beauty and charm of the Del.

Second, the hotel grounds were way above my expectations. The buildings and surrounding grounds were absolutely beautiful and extremely well taken care of. The pictures that I've seen on the many websites I looked at do not do the hotel justice in person. The pool was a little crowded but never became a problem. I found out right before I left that there is an adult pool a little ways down the beach so those without kids might want to do that instead of the main pool. The beach awesome as well. It wasn't nearly as crowded as I expected so I spent most of my time on the beach. The food was great although pricey. I had a meal at the Sheerwater and thoroughly enjoyed it although spent quite a bit. All of the staff I encounted were very nice and hospitable so again, I don't understand others' complaints.

All in all, it was a very positive experience staying at the Hotel Del, one which went beyond my expectations. Be prepared to spend some money as the rooms and food are a little pricey however in my opinion it's all well worth it.

• Stayed August 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 16 in Coronado
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!