“One of the best”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed June 29, 2005

Not quite sure where all of these people stayed who bagged on this property but the Del is one of my families favorites. We stayed in June and it was great. For the first time we stayed in the older section with a partial ocean view. Room had a small bathroom, but that should be expected in a property this old. The newer sections have larger bathrooms. The room was appointed with all the usual amenities and even had a LCD TV hanging on the wall in front of the couch, to go along with the nice TV by the beds. The hotel is always fun to walk around, and the location on Cornonado is unmatched. Sitting/reading at the pool is great, as is being on the beach.

The hotel provides all the amenties you will find at any great hotel.

We are looking forward to our next trip...Don't let someone else's bad stay (which happens) ruin your opportunity to Enjoy the Del. Hotels dont last for 115+ year because the are OK, they last that long because they are great.

9  Thank bball5150

Reviewed June 28, 2005

I stayed at this hotel, June 23-25th. All I have to say is that the amount of people constantly roaming this hotel is unbearable. I wanted some quiet and I guess this was the wrong place. I could hear my neighbors TV through the wall and the person in the room above me. There are people roaming the grounds constantly and hotel guests are not given any preferential treatment. The beach is great, views are great, but I would rather stay elsewhere and visit this hotel rather than spend the extravagant prices at the hotel.

4  Thank EEQ
Reviewed June 22, 2005

My husband and I spent a week at the Del in August, 2004. This was our 4th visit to the hotel, and each one gets better. The building, the gardens, the beach - all spectacular.

We prefer to stay in the Victorian building where the rooms are a little more "grand" and unique. Keep in mind, this is an old hotel. If you prefer a standard "hotel" type room - don't stay here. The rooms and walls have been moved and redone over the years so the rooms may be irregularly shaped. In the same room class I've been in a large room with a separate sitting area and a balcony, to a room just large enough for the bed and TV. To me, that's what makes the Del so charming. Not everyone appreciates this, so keep that in mind when considering staying here.

You won't find a better beach location than the Del and the village of Coronado has so much to offer within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2004
7  Thank KSErin
New York, NY
Reviewed June 20, 2005

So, I arrived to the hotel (for a business trip), and was overwhelmed by the reception area. It is absolutely beautiful. When I checked in, I recieved a suite, which was even better! My ocean view suite was impressive. The hotel is very nice, but here's the reality: for a room that costs $975 a night(However, I had a corporate rate), I think it would help if they had outlets for a computer underneath the desk, the vents had been cleaned, the iron would've not been broken, and the suite would've even had an ironing board! The doors to the terraces had kids mouth prints and finger prints on them, and the bathrooms are very very very basic, but there was someone else's hair in my tub!!! Although the room itself was very nice.

The resort is nice, it's a a historic landmark, and that's all it is. Yes, it's an experience to stay there, but the ocean is too cold to swim, so the pools are your only option. If you have kids, you can only use one of the two pools, therefore, that one pool is always over croweded. When you pay, you're recieving the historic landmark experience, definately not the 5 star experience they claim. I would label this hotel as a 4 star hotel, but definately not 5 star. A 5 star hotel catches every last detail, that's why they cost a fortune.

The staff is pretty good! Not exceptional, but a 7.5 on a scale of 1-10.

The beach is nice, but there is no grassy land around the hotel to enjoy. And the hotel is immediately surrounded by town. I don't think that's necessarely a bad thing, but I enjoy green land, not just beach, and concrete.

All in all it's a beautiful hotel, but when the hotel charges such an obscene amount of money for a room, they should pay attention to every last detail... So, the $975 a night room + the $20 resort fee + tax, it's well over $1,000 a night! OMG, there are Hyatts, Sheratons, and Marriotts that would blow the standard of this place for a fraction of the price.

If you're into the entire Historic thing, you'll enjoy the hotel, because it is beautiful. But if you are searching for quality based on what you pay, this isn't the hotel. Yes, the rooms are clean, the resort is clean, but they just miss the little details that make $975 worth the spending at another resort!!! Like I said before, and I'll say again: For $975 per night, you would think that the room would be more spectacular then the Hyatt suite ($350) I stayed at on my wedding night, but it wasn't.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
sacramento, ca
Reviewed June 20, 2005

This is our 3rd stay at the Del. We brought the kids (7 & 10) and got 2 oceanfront rooms. Wonderful hotel, beach, and overall feel. However, we had a problem with our 3 in 1 Park Passes dissappearing at breakfast, while our rooms were made up. We reported the stolen items, and then everything went down hill from there.

To begin, the hotel never followed up with our theft report. I called twice, spoke to 2 front desk managers, to get nothing but a "we'll get back to you". Finally, at checkout they still had done nothing at all. I had to buy new passes ($280) and the Del would not reimburse us. This is after we had spent over $10,000 at their hotel (we also had hosted a conference).

After finally talking to the head of security, I was told that they had more "investigation" to complete.... but I confirmed even after 6 days, they had NOT spoken to the one maid how was in our room for the 90 minutes while we were at breakfast. I don't know why they are being so tight about the $280.... all they are doing is causing bad will. There is NO reason for me to have file a fake theft report. I'm not sure what they expect this maid to say... as why would anyone admit to taking these passes? They wouldn't.

So, watch out for the maids, and if something dissappears from your room, the Del won't believe you, or do anything to make it right by you....

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 14, 2005

After reading a number of the reviews, I was very hesitant about my upcoming stay at The Del. My husband and I had always wanted to stay there and found a good weekend, and a really great AAA package rate and decided to go. We had a wonderful time. The staff was great. EVERYONE we encounterd couldn't have been more helpful. We got a complimentary larger room upgrade which was a nice surprise, and the manager actually checked us in himself!

The room was beautiful and looked like it had very recently been remodeled. New EVERYTHING! Plush towels, wonderful bed and linens and beautiful furniture. Although the walls are thin, we had a quiet, pleasant stay.

I would definitely stay again and would recommend it highly!

5  Thank hthome
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 12, 2005

I have always heard wonderful things about the extravagant brunch at the Hotel Del. We went early but were still seated at a dirty table. My date suspected termites, but I believe the pepper shaker just fell over repeatedly and no one wiped it off. I looked down and noticed food on one of my forks. I like antiques as much as the next guy, but antique flatware?? Yuck. My date and I were treated to no less than 4 or 5 dirty forks during the brunch. The seafood wasn't cold and the crab was clearly frozen and defrosted. The sushi rolls were hard. The hot food wasn't hot. The "grilled chicken" was breaded. The mahi mahi was stinking up the whole hot food section. The prime rib slice was fatty, tasteless, cold and a weird color. The dim sum was old and dry. The omelette from the omelette bar tasted as if it were made with Egg Beaters. In short, there was NOTHING that tasted good. Then, to add insult to injury the check arrived - $106.00 for the two of us.

Stayed: June 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!