“Absolute Paradise”

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
“Absolute Paradise”
Reviewed August 22, 2004

Just returned from a week at the Hotel Del and did not want to leave. Absolute paradise!! Very helpful courteous staff. Even gave us a free room upgrade at the same reduced rates that I found on-line from the San Diego Visitor's Bureau. First class in every way. I don't know where the people who wrote the bad reviews were staying, but it's hard to believe it was here! Highly recommend! Anxious to go back!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 22, 2004

I was looking forward to staying three nights at the Del and got nothing but a huge disapointment. First of all the place is a zoo, people coming and going everywhere, if you want to relax I would go elsewhere. The room was awful it was small, smelly, dirty and noisy. The linens were the quality you would find a motel 6, I did not want to touch them. After an awful night of sleep because of the noise, gross bed linens and uncomfortable bed we decided to check out after staying only one night and cancelled the final two. We went across the street to the Glorietta Bay Inn and had a wonderful time, they had comfortable beds, relaxing atmosphere and a great complimentry breakfast for the half the price of the Del.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
buffalo
Reviewed August 22, 2004

stayed at the del for two days in aug. of '04. was a little worried after reading some of the bad reviews and would not have stayed if not for the pressure from my wife and kids after visiting it previously. Our room was in the main building on the third floor it was large , clean, and fresh smelling. View was of the courtyard and was very nice. Food is very expensive at all the restaurants and at poolside $45. for three chicken salads, three sodas, and one hot dog oh and a bottle of water. Had dinner at the sheerwater restaurant, food was good and the service was very pleasant. Pool was large and clean and they give you wrist bands to wear so they know that you are a guest, helps in the security of a very large hotel. Beach was nice, clean, with alot of activities going on, my two kids took surfing lessons and had a ball. Would definitely stay there again.

5 Thank stepnick
San Diego
Reviewed August 21, 2004

I'm so sad to read all of these negative reviews of the Del. My husband and I were married there last year, and had such a wonderful Del experience. The reception was done so well, and most of my guests said that it was the most beautiful wedding at the coolest location.

I know that the hotel was bought out sometime in the last year, and I don't know if the new owners are doing right by this amazing Coronado institution. I hope that they do, and to all of you that had bad experiences, I hope you use your consumer power and tell the management about your problems so that maybe they might get things back on track someday.....

• Stayed August 2003
2 Thank evanika1104
Reviewed August 19, 2004

I recently stayed at the Hotel Del and was very concerned because of the many bad reviews, here is what I encountered... I took my 84 year old aunt and my 74 year old father on a trip to this old hotel. My aunt had always wanted to visit the famous "Hotel Del". The ambiance and old world feeling when you walk in the entrance takes you right back to the 1800's. Unbelievable architecture and ambiance! My aunt and I stayed in a Victorian Ocean Front Balcony Room with two beds (actually two rooms with a second bed in its own little room right off the big bedroom). The room was beautiful, clean and spacious with 10ft ceilings in the old victorian tradition, ceiling fans, huge closets, big bathroom, nice sitting area with two large stuffed chairs as well as a writing desk. A large picture-window door opened up onto a huge veranda with comfortable wicker furniture that looked out over the expanse of resort and beach below, terrific for people watching or enjoying a nice picnic lunch like we did. My father stayed across the hall in a Victorian Garden View Room with one bed. His room was very nice as well- A sitting area and writing desk leading out to a cute patio area overlooking the gardens. The staff was courteous and helpful. There are many shops, restaurants and cute sitting areas tucked in all around the resort. Be prepared, the resort is definately a FAMILY BEACH RESORT- lots of kids and babies! Its noisy and very busy on the weekends. We didnt find this to be problimatic but if you are looking for peace and quiet this probably isnt the place for you. The only issues I encountered were the following: a per person resort fee of $20 added each day to your bill, the resort fee covers the daily newspaper, some in-room coffee, and use of the fitness center., valet parking is $21 a day, a bottle of water left on the table next to the coffee machine was $6.50 extra... I find this extra "nickel & diming" to be absurd considering that the rooms were $300+ and $500+ a night each! Overall, the historical and architectural beauty of the hotel is a must-see experience that I would highly recommend, whether you actually stay at the hotel or just visit the lovely grounds. P.S. my aunt LOVED the hotel stay!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed August 12, 2004

We just returned from a three night stay at The Del and it was fabulous! The view from our room was worth every penny and then some. The beach is great for the kids with rocks crawling with crabs to explore. The only negative thing I can say is that the airplanes are extremely loud until around 10:30 pm. Otherwise, the beds were super comfortable and the furnishings were beautiful. We ate at the Sheerwater for breakfast and it serves a great buffet! The filet minon from room service was to die for, as was the chocolate torte. Our rooms were made up the moment we left our room and were ready upon our return from breakfast! Such excellent service in a truly magical place is unparralled.

• Stayed January 2005
3 Thank JACE
Reviewed August 9, 2004

I like to bring friends to the brunch at the Del and usually do so at least twice a year, but yesterday I was very surprised at the level of poor service at the Sheerwater restaurant. About the worst thing that happened was when we observed a hostess absent mindly picked her nose and then proceeded to eat what she had just pulled out of her nose. One of my guest wanted to take her to the side and let her know what she had just done, but we all decided not to do this. After telling the waiter that I only wanted water with my meal, he sloched a half a glass of water in my glass and that was the last time I saw him till it was time to pay the bill. We had plates stacking up on the table and had to pile them on top of each other. And like the fool I am, I paid a $12 tip because I feel guilty when I don't pay the expected amount of a tip.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!