“I loved this hotel!”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Torquay, United Kingdom
“I loved this hotel!”
Reviewed December 5, 2008

I absolutely loved this hotel! I only had one night's stay there and i wish i could have stayed longer to see alot of more of the place.Check in and check out took a while which is my only fault, there could have been more staff on.But i was early for check in about 11:30am and didn't expect my room to be ready,but to my surprise it was and i was shown to my room and my luggage taken on a trolley by a very friendly and informative porter.I got to ride in the very old elevator just once as it was bigger than the other one and i had luggage.But otherwise i used the smaller elevator to get about to my room and to the lobby etc.Which is another thing i must mention,the hotel is quite extensive yes and i didn't get to see it all in my one day but i would not agree with another reviewer by saying it's abit of a walk or a trek for disabled people to get around.I think it's very easy to get to know your way around within the first few minutes and it is all flat.I particularly took note of this during my stay because i will be bringing my Mum here next time and she uses a wheelchair.I was very happy to see the ramp at the side of the building for wheelchair users as i had not heard there was one before seeing it myself.
My room was lovely and i had a balcony looking out to the gardens! It was a dream come true to stay here because of the movie Some Like It Hot and i don't have one bad word to say about this place.The beach is just beautiful! I will be back here for sure!

• Liked — The beach and the gardens
  • Disliked — slow check out
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Marianne78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Santa Maria, CA
Reviewed December 1, 2008

My wife and I had stayed at the Del in the past, and we loved it. The hotel is very beautiful and our rooms have always been very clean

We have three very young children and we needed a break. My mom offered to watch the kids, so we decided to stay at the Hotel for one night. We were looking forward to sleeping in since our children wake us up very early every single morning.

Everything was wonderful until 5AM. The hotel staff was so noisy it was almost comical. They kept walking by our room with their rolling cart. Each time they would pass by their cart would make a crashing noise as it rolled over an uneven portion of the walkway. Soon the noise stopped and several staff members started talking and laughing very loudly right out front of our room. This continued for some time, and it ruined our chance to sleep in until.....7:00AM. We would have been better off staying at home.

Upon checkout I mentioned the problem I had with the front desk clerk. She told me to fill out a card and mail it in. I mailed it in and management didn't even send a courtesy response. At the minimum, they could have told me they were sorry about the conduct of their staff.

We spent hundreds of dollars during our visit, and we feel let down by the hotels management. I am also irritated that they had me spend the time to fill out their survey, and then they ignored it completely.

I don't know if we will ever stay at the hotel again because of what happened. It's amazing how poor management and lack of simple communication can cause ill feeling.

At this point we would rather try a different hotel than risk this happening to us again.

• Liked — Clean room and beautiful hotel. Perfect location
  • Disliked — Hotel Management.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beans000
USA
Reviewed November 25, 2008

The Hotel Del Coronado was the perfect place for a girlfriend getaway! Although it's not inexpensive and there are mixed reviews, this is somewhere you have to stay at least once in your life.

Both the property and location are exceptional. You will love to walk on the beautiful sand and enjoy the picturesque beach scene. And, you absolutely must indulge in the Sunday Brunch.

For the price, I expected a higher level of service. That being said, I don't regret the investment, as the memories were worth every penny!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
sf, ca
Reviewed November 19, 2008

Way too expensive. Really nice but very expensive for a ho-hum room. food was great, but service is stiff and so expensive. In the off season, pools are closed and you have to hike all around the place to get to pool, hot tub, gym etc. It is very nice and you feel like you
are donating to keep the place alive, but everything was just out of sight expensive. Not even a frig in the $550+ room! Nice beach, but too cold to sit on it. We walked and swam and relaxed in our room. The around the pool scene is too stiff and formal and creapy for us. To rent a bike was $10 per hour! helmet extra. Nothing is included in the room rate and you pay for the resort fee even if you don't use it. If you have money to burn ok for you. If you work for a living I don't see how you can afford such a place and you probably won't be comfortable there either.

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank nottoorich
Alberta
Reviewed November 18, 2008

Obviously the hotel is nice with a historic charm to it, in a great beach setting. However, for the price paid for EVERYTHING, we expected a lot more. The cost of the room, the food, the drinks, the ice cream and the parking was crazy for what we got. Nothing stood out as being fantastic and worth the price. There seemed to be a major shortage in staff, and overall we felt the quality in the room, the food and the staff to be very poor. Our room was in need of a deep cleaning, and took 20min to get any hot water. I don't think we had a single staff member say hello to us, and there was no staff cleaning tables on the decks, or cleaning around the pool area. Not sure if we would ever go back. But it has been one of the very few places we have been able to find where my husband could surf while the kids and I enjoyed the pool.

• Liked — beach theme
  • Disliked — in need of renovation
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
New Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed November 18, 2008

I am a travel agent so I have stayed in many a beautiful place but this was not only a piece of history it was romantic and beautiful at the same time. We where upgraded to an ocean front room with two double beds for my daughters and I. the room was not glitzy but very, very nice and large enoguht for the three of us,. Our patio was right on the walk way and the beach was just in front of that. Breathtaking. I did find the food very high priced but if you have the time the local area, just a few blocks away offers all sorts of dining options at half the cost. My girls, teenagers , tried the surfing group lesson and loved that. We alos rented bikes and you can get a good feel of the island in about 1.5 hours. We had a blast. The beach is huge and great to walk on. The only complaint we had was the fighter jets that fly over head about every 1/2 hour. But that is the cost of our safty. At sunset we went up on the deck and ordered drinks. The staff then came and lit the fires pits at each sitting are had and it was so beautiful.
The hotel is huge so be prepared to walk some but you discover something new at every turn. If you are handicapped I would think about that before you get your room or you may be in for a stuggle.The staff was great, concierge helpful. I did find room service with a 22% plus 10% gratuties plus 5.00 delivery charge way to high for them to then ask for a tip but I guess that is at every hotel. I think this area and hotel is the perfect place to see the area and would send clients again in a snap. Request room 4122.
What a perfect weekend.

• Liked — The view was to die for and the location of the resort was wonderful
  • Disliked — alot of walking to get from place ot place. It took us 20 minutes to find out room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank atravelagtfor25yrs
new jersey
Reviewed November 9, 2008

I stayed in this hotel from Nov 3-6 for a work convention. From check-in to check-out it was disappointing. Check in was extremely slow, which I can somewhat understand due to the amount of our group. The room was horrendous, we literally NEVER had hot water, and when we called down to express that, they said that maybe everyone was taking showers at the same time!!! That is your excuse? We took showers at different times that week, and never had even a luke warm shower. The maid service was terrible, not refilling items, and one day a rug appeared in our bathroom that looked used and dirty. The view is nice, but I think the hotel itself has gone downhill. I have traveled extensively around the world, and feel that I am a fairly good judge of service, and try to give things a second chance. This hotel will not be on my list for a return visit.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — hotel rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank worldtravelbug123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 16 in Coronado

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!