“Things are changing...”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Things are changing...”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My favorite hotel has always been the Del. On my recent visit I noticed they are making changes. These changes aren't good from a historical standpoint. First thing I noticed was all the cool cubbies that used to be behind the check in desk were gone and replaced with random metal butterflies. Then I turn around and the sitting room and fireplace where I've enjoyed so many Moo Time Creamery ice cream cones with my kids has been torn out and replaced with the Concierge. Then I think "sure seems brighter in here" and they have taken down the beautiful brass chandelier in the lobby and recoated it in silver!!!!!!! Yuck!!! I'm so sad to see the owners trying to take away all the history to make it more modern. It's not what the Del is about. Please change it back and I hope you kept the cubbies that were behind the check in desk. Someone is going to regret taking those out one day!!! PLEASE, PLEASE don't mess with the elevator!!! On another note I still love the Del. Unless the new owners keep changing it!!! And ocean view Victorian is the only way to go!

Room Tip: Ocean view in Victorian!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TCM327
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
We appreciate your support of The Del and apologize that the recent lobby renovations did not meet your expectations. Maintaining this National Historic Landmark and its integrity is very important to us. Yes, the historic cubby holes are still intact behind the panels and the Otis 61 elevator remains a treasured reminder of our past. The area where the Concierge used to be was restored to its original use as a sitting area and we even reinstalled the original picture window. Thank you for your valuable input and we hope your travels bring you back our way again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New jersey
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Stayed for a week, hotel staff was friendly enough. I stayed in the ocean tower with great view of the ocean. The room had average decor and the bed was a little lumpy. I will agree with other reviewers about the walls...I could hear my neighbors conversations, toilet flush etc, perfectly. The breakfast buffet was very good and had a big selection to chose from. I was there for a work function but the quality of the food was very good and we had over 300 people. It wasn't warm enough to use the pool but it did look nice. I would go back and it's a quick 20-25 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind support and we are pleased that you enjoyed your conference stay at The Del. We appreciate your recognition of our great staff and look forward to your return.
Salem, Virginia
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

3rd visit just like the first, great. Everything from the grounds, housekeeping, food and guest services top-end! And the perfect weather helped as well. The grand old lady just keeps getting grander!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FuudJunkie
We are delighted that The Del continues to exceed your expectations and appreciate your loyalty. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is a grand hotel but we went during a holiday weekend and the hotel was very busy and frankly it couldn't cope their were people everywhere you couldn't get a seat near a pool which was not clean or up to the standard you would expect of such a grand hotel. The room was reasonably done but it too could have been so much better and really they need to refurb the hotel, its room and look to improve it to the standard it truly deserves as it really is a good hotel and the staff helpful and friendly but I was disappointed and wouldn't rush back and we really wanted to be impressed but were disappointed

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room but try in the old building with a sea view as it is something special
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your comments and are saddened by your disappointment during your visit. All of our guestrooms have been renovated within the past two years and we apologize if your room did not meet your expectation. We appreciate your recognition of our staff and hope you will reconsider returning to The Del.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Whenever I have stayed here in the past, it has been in the older part of the building. I don't remember not enjoying my stay. This time they put me in the "modern" section. I had a lovely view of the parking lot and could here every sound in the next room. I have not been in a hotel in such a long time where the walls were so thin. I could here every word said in the room next to me. I had to turn on my TV to drown out the noise next door and this was at 11:30pm at night. Do not stay in the modern section of the hotel unless you can sleep through any noise. I gave it a 3 for the beautiful beach.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Pakebo
Thank you for your feedback and we’re pleased you enjoyed Coronado Beach, which was recently named Best Beach in America. We appreciate your loyalty and apologize for the noise issues you encountered. Thank you again for your input.
ottawa, ontario
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My family and I recently spent 5 nights at the Hotel del Coronado, and while the overall experience was good, it could have been much better had I know a few things in advance.
We frequently stay at historic hotels, so I understand how hard it is to operate these aging properties. We have seen more than one of our favourite hotels close because they simply couldn't compete with the new and more modern hotels.
To state it simply, the Del is a convention hotel. I understand that this is a huge revenue generator, and applaud them for being able to seize on this market, but as someone looking to experience the charm and history of the hotel, the huge groups make it difficult.
My first disappointment came upon check-in when we were given 2 rooms in the Ocean Towers. These towers, while connected to the Del, are actually in a modern, 6-story condo like building next to the hotel. As the Bell captain led us to our room through the parking lot, my heart sank. I could easily have been staying at any Holiday Inn or generic beach condo. Even worse was the fact that our balconies were right over the parking lot. Had I know about the existence of this building, I would have made a point to request the historic part of the hotel. The hotel was completely full so we were not able to be moved into the older rooms until our 3rd night. The rooms we were moved into had a lovely view of the courtyard and were much quieter. My only complaint with these rooms would be that the decorator completely missed an opportunity to take advantage of the fact that it is a beach hotel, and instead created a more slick, modern vibe with greys and dark furniture. Fine for a city hotel, but lacking in charm. We also had an issue one night as the hotel was hosting an event in the courtyard and it went on well past 1:30. The property is so large and has so many conference and meeting rooms that I was surprised it would allow an event in this location to carry on as long as they did.
The grounds of the hotel are lovely, but it is open to the general public so there is always a steady flow of traffic throughout the property. On Saturday and Sunday it was impossible to get a seat at any of the bars or restaurants so we had to go to the pool bar to get a drink. It's too bad as this location offers no view of the ocean. Because we had 2 rooms, we paid $50 a day in resort fees. I wouldn't mind if it didn't feel like everyone else was getting to enjoy more of the resort than we were.
The gym is great and offers a great selection of classes. At many of the other hotels we have visited there is usually a variety of activities offered each day. The only thing I saw in addition to the kids program was a historical tour, but it was only offered twice a week. I suppose that with the conferences they don't really need to provide entertainment for the bulk of their guests.
As far as the restaurants go, we had a disappointing dinner at Sheerwater on our first night. The food was bland and uninspired but very pricey. Our food at Eno was delicious, but the waiter seemed to be disengaged. Sunday brunch was amazing and among the best we have ever had.
Overall it was an average vacation in a stunning location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank travelwiththegirls
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
We appreciate your comments on your recent stay at The Del. We are pleased that you enjoyed our Fitness Center, ENO and our award-winning Sunday Brunch. As a National Historic Landmark, the resort does get quite busy at times and restaurant reservations are always recommended. We apologize for the service issues you encountered and that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your valuable input.
Seattle
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Have always wanted to stay here...finally made it. As long as you remember it's an "antique" hotel (even haunted!) you shouldn't be too disappointed. The exterior and grounds of the hotel are lovely; the interior is a bit dated. Lobby is dark and cramped, with no real indication of where guests should queue, etc. once helped, staff is very professional and friendly. We had a courtyard view room in the original building,which I highly recommend over the beach-view or waterfront newer buildings ( other than the private bungalows which seem amazing). Our west-facing courtyard view room actually had an ocean view over the top of the opposite building, so we were thrilled. It's an old building with sloppy floors, uneven stairs, etc.; but the rooms are nicely updated, and we felt the quirkiness added to the charm.
Do not eat at the hotel....drink only. Food at the outdoor, seaside bistro was some of the worst I've had. And the larger restaurants are flooded with day tourists...way too many. The town of Coronado is quaint, with tons of eating options, and is a very short stroll from the hotel.
Overall, the history, charm and location of the hotel are enough to make it a very memorable, pleasant stay.

Room Tip: West-facing courtyard/peek ocean view (3rd floor) in original building.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We are pleased that you had the opportunity to stay at The Del, one of the last remaining Victorian seaside resorts. The 126-year old Victorian building does have its charm and we’re glad you appreciate its historic ambiance. The Ocean Towers and California Cabanas are more spacious and contemporary as are the luxury cottages and villas of Beach Village. We apologize that our dining experiences did not meet your expectations and will share your review with our culinary team. We hope you return again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,969 reviews

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!