“Another Chance”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Los Angeles, California
“Another Chance”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Due to a prior unpleasant experience I had trying to book an earlier stay directly with Hotel del Coronado, my husband and I ended up scratching our plans to go here for a quick couple weekend get away. However, soon after that I started receiving e-mails of their promotions and we decided to give the hotel another chance. I am actually glad we did because my husband and I ended up having a wonderful time here. Upon arrival, I was in awe of how elegant this place is and how beautiful the grounds, the lobby area and their famous chandelier are. When we checked in, I actually ended up speaking to Heather, the supervisor whom I had dealt with with the prior incident I had and though at that time, she really wasn't much help to us. I couldn't resist bringing up the issue I had with Rosie to Heather and informed her that we would have been at the Hotel Del sooner, if that incident didn't happen. She was very apologetic when she found out, she made sure that we got room in one of the nicest areas of the hotel as a token of their apology. We had booked a Victorian room and the room we got was on the garden level w/ a little veranda attached to it. The room was not so big, but it was perfect for my husband and I, it was very clean and I loved the shabby chic feel and color scheme of the decor. The bathroom was also very clean and modern, and came with really nice amenities. What I loved most was the bathrobes they provided and the plantation shutters, it just really made the room so much nicer. I was worried about the age of the hotel and really didn't set high expectations after reading some of the reviews/complaints about how old the hotel & rooms are. But, once we got in our room my husband and I were pretty impressed. For being a very old hotel, you really couldn't tell because it appeared clean and very well maintained. We enjoyed having the little veranda right outside the exterior door of our room and it faced the garden of the hotel. We especially enjoyed sitting there when we woke up as we had our coffee in the morning, which came with the room. Our package included breakfast at their Sheerwater Restaurant which was excellent and well worth it. We actually also ate dinner there the night before and really liked the food, the atmosphere & enjoyed the view of the beach. We enjoyed walking around the hotel grounds and just took in the beauty of it all. It certainly is a great place to go to as a couple, though we're not the romantic type, we couldn't help but be a little bit while we were there. Being at Hotel Del just gives you that feeling. I truly recommend this place for couples who want to get away and spend some quality time alone.

Room Tip: Make sure you check for promotions on the hotel's website. If you can afford it, go for the pac...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
We are thrilled that you allowed us a second opportunity and that you enjoyed your romantic visit. The Del has a long history of romance and you’re now a part of it. We’re pleased everything was to your satisfaction and look forward to welcoming you back again some day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Really wanted to have a nice lunch at the iconic Del. What a disappointment. My $25.00 fish and chips were disgusting, too much deep fried batter, SMALL dish of coleslaw which was smothered in dressing. Would not recommend anyone eat there, too expensive does not match the experience. Just go and walk the grounds MAYBE, have a $15.00 drink buy the water. Seriously, don't mind paying this kind of money but have big expectations for these prices and was let down.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank jlmitchellwasserman
Thank you for your feedback and we’re sorry that you did not enjoy your meal at Sheerwater. We will share your review with our culinary team and appreciate your input.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 7, 2014

The Hotel and Staff were wonderful. One in particular stood out Ms. Andrea Heurlelou, front desk employee. She was pleseant, efficient and really took care of me. There was an error in booking and she went out of her way to make it right - and she did. We were in a beautiful room. She is an assest to the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
We are delighted that you enjoyed your room and especially appreciate your praise of Andrea. We will share your kind comments with her and hope to welcome you back again.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I'm a Floridian who frequents Disney's Grand Floridian Resort, the clone of the Hotel del Coronado and was in town for business and decided to extend my stay to stay at the Del. It's a beautiful resort with so much history and charm. Every staff member we encountered were wonderful especially ANDREW, the elevator attendant. I was sad to leave but would encourage everyone to at least stay there once in their lifetime!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your kind support and endorsement. We are pleased that you appreciate the historic ambiance that makes the resort so special as well as your praise of Andrew. We will share your kind words with him and hope your travels bring you back our way again soon.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I didn't actually stay AT the hotel per say, but I got to see the hotel inside and out one day and it is truly a stunning place. We also saw it at night time all lit up and it is a real sight. I would reccomend checking out the hotel if you are in coronado. I can't say much for staying there because my wife and I didn't but we spent a good hour or 2 walking around. It is also right on a beautiful beach!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We are pleased that you enjoyed your brief visit to The Del and appreciate your recommendation. We hope you return for a longer stay soon.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This was my first trip to San Diego and the Hotel Del Coronado and it is easy to understand all the accolades this property receives. From the perfect seaside location to the wonderful shops, views, food and service it is hard to do better than this.

My room was in the newer tower adjacent to the original structure with its well recognized red roof towers. The room was large and modern and just a few hundred feet from the main complex with all its restaurants, outdoor patios, couches with firepits and endless views of the beach which stretches for miles in each direction. For walking, running, playing in the sand and even watching naval sea maneuvers out to sea it is hard to imagine a dull moment here.

While food tends to be a bit expensive (for breakfast the only option was a $28 buffet) there are a few less pricey choices such as the outdoor grill which featured hamburgers, salads and the like. This is definitely a place to put on your bucket list and hopefully cross it off in the near future. It is truly a very special place.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recommendation and we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to this legendary resort. We hope you have the opportunity to return to The Del and San Diego some day.
California
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon after a long flight. The first issue, parking on site was $37 a day for self-park, $47 a day for valet! Admittedly, this is somewhat of an island, but still, these parking rates rival New York City. So we self-park, walk into the lobby and find two people attending the desk, but one of them walks away after helping the guest she was dealing with when we walked up. Two other people made appearances behind the desk, but neither acknowledged our presence or offered to assist. Finally, the lone staffer finally finished with the guest he was helping and began checking us in. (Makes me realize just how nice it is at the Hilton Garden Inn when I walk up and they immediately hand me my key and I'm on my way...) We were at the desk for around 20 minutes, at least, waiting to check in. We got to the room and it was okay, nice and large. But, the bathroom grout was dirty and moldy. Totally unexpected in a hotel of this class. Other than that, everything else was great. For an older hotel, it's pretty quiet and you can't beat the location, sitting on one of the best beaches in the World! They just need to work out some of the fundamental details and get that parking cost down!

Room Tip: Obviously, an ocean front room is the prize here, but you pay for it. There is definitely a premium...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback and are pleased that you enjoyed our location. We apologize for the service issues you encountered and will share your review with the appropriate management. Thank you for your valuable input.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 16 in Coronado

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!