“Great location, amenities and service... but at a cost.”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Very simply put, its a great hotel with beach, good food, and everything you expect in terms of experience....its an American treasure. But beware, it comes at a cost. Rooms themeselves are simple and a little pricey, but no one goes to SD to sit inside...its all the extras like food that cost even more. I recommend everyone staying there at least once though, its worth it.

Room Tip: dont waste time paying for ocean view room...get up and walk the ocean front with your coffee in the...
1  Thank AnnapolisCouple
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

We appreciate your recommendation and are pleased that you enjoyed your visit. We hope you return again.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I booked a room here for a meeting in San Diego and we decided well why not get together somewhere beautiful on the water like the Del. It was lovely but I have to tell you there's some funky old energy here. There are legends of hauntings here, and while nothing particularly spooky happened, I had this continual feeling of uneasiness in room 3508. Which also by the way is at the top of a middle tower and has a flight of stairs leading up to it. Unique and lovely but very small room with a terrible bed.

I asked about an upgrade and they happily moved me to a stunning full-on ocean view for just an additional $50. The bed seemed better in there too and it was a much larger room, so lesson learned is to always ASK for a better room if you're not happy with the one you are given. This hotel has a lot of unique rooms so be aware there are many options, and ask questions. The rooms are lovely and updated. The showers were great for me as I love serious water pressure! Hallways and common areas seem to need some upgrading. The carpets in the hallways are looking a bit daggy, and there are some parts of the resort that smell musty and old. (However I do want to note the rooms seems completely updated.) I do think overall though the rooms are overpriced, and I've stayed at plenty of expensive hotels.

The staff was great. I loved the daily brunch, and my friend and I had a fantastic dinner at 1500 Ocean - I really recommend the lamb - and our waiter Leo was wonderful. What did impress me with the staff is after talking with them, I learned many of them have been at the hotel for 20+ years!

The boutiques at the resort are actually great - i found some super things for myself and gifts for family too.

My largest complaint about staying here... and a reason I won't return... is the resort is like a mile right down the beach from a military base (and its landing strip) and there is continual air traffic coming in the entire day. The helicopters and planes get super close to get ready to land, and they are DEAFENING. During our dinner there were many times we could not hear a thing and had to pause our conversation until a Top Gun jet went by. They did seem to stop after 10pm but it got quite ridiculous.

Room Tip: This hotel has a lot of unique rooms so be aware there are many options, and ask questions. 3508 had...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sologirltraveler

Thank you for your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your room. We like to think we have something for everyone—from the charm of the historic Victorian Building where no two rooms are alike to the more spacious and contemporary Ocean Towers and California Cabanas to the luxury cottages and villas at Beach Village. We appreciate your recognition of our great staff and will share your comments with Leo. We apologize for the noise inconvenience of the Coronado Naval Base and hope you will reconsider a return to The Del in the future.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

So historically massive! Loved all of the history. VERY expensive.....but being in the town of Coronado made up for it. The beach was full of seaweed when we were there....but beautiful nonetheless. Wonderful hotel shops!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

We are delighted that your stay at The Del met your expectations and that you appreciate the historic nuances that make the resort so special. We hope to welcome you back again some day.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were married 20 years ago and when we decided to go on a Panama Canal cruise that left out of San Diego for our 20th anniversary, we knew we were going to have to stay at the Del! When I called and made the reservation I couldn't remember the room number from before, but they told me that they would be able to put us somewhere close to the same place. When we arrived the room they gave us was so much better! The wonderful staff gave us a corner room on the very front at the highest location. We could open our windows and take in the ocean breezes and see for miles! Great views! Our room had been renovated and updated. The bed was very comfortable and very clean! There is a gym on property with free weights, equipment and even group exercise classes. We did Yoga on the beach every day! We walked the hotel's beach at sunrise and sunset just trying to take it all in.

We enjoyed Eno Pizza, although it would have been nice if they had a side salad on the menu. There were only a couple of salads on the menu and they were both full size. No big deal. We didn't go there for the salads! We loved the B & S Bar. Great food and atmosphere. The live music there every night was quality and lots of fun! The goat cheese and pesto appetizer is the bomb! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. One of the most relaxing things we did was hang out on the deck around the pool with ocean views and listen to the band that played there in the afternoons. We had huge, delicious burgers there and the best Bloody Mary that I have ever had! The food prices are a little on the expensive side, but we had counted that cost and it was worth it to us. You could easily walk off property to restaurants that are close. We didn't get to experience the breakfast buffet, but plan to on our next trip. We enjoyed all the little shops in the hotel. Everyone was in a great mood! Who wouldn't be when surrounded by such beauty? No one was happier than me, though, except maybe my husband who had a smile on his face the whole time we were there. We loved our time here at the Del and cannot wait to go back. We are already planning our next trip...soon!

The hotel staff were extremely nice and accommodating. Very pleased!

Room Tip: Stay in the Victorian part of the hotel. The rooms have been updated and many on the ocean side have...
1  Thank Cruisini
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

We are delighted that you chose to celebrate your anniversary at The Del and had such a memorable visit. It sounds as though you were able to experience much of what the resort has to offer and we appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next special occasion or just when you crave another Bloody Mary on the Sun Deck. Cheers!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband & I upgraded to a Signature Suite in the Victorian building for my 50th birthday. I can only say that I felt like a spoiled little princess. We really enjoyed the friendly staff and the size of the property. The view from our big balcony and the beach was spectacular. Easy walking to other restaurants and Seafort where we had a sunset cruise with Murphy. Would definately go back to The Del.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Happy Birthday and thank you for celebrating your special birthday with us. We’re pleased that you enjoyed your room and our beachfront location. We hope to become an annual tradition and look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We loved the charm of this hotel. There were Wonderful ocean views and breezes coming through our French doors. The rooms were renovated and a substantial size. After three days, we felt very rested. The staff was excellent.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind support and we’re glad you appreciate the historic ambiance that makes the resort so special. We hope you return again soon for some more R&R.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our first time staying here, we were really seduced by the property, history & charm. Huge beach area, the restaurants are delicious, although a bit pricey. Within walking distance to shops & restaurants. Rent bikes & bike around the island. This is really a special place & we would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: We booked online & stayed in the Ocean Towers which was a newer addition. I would call directly...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your comments and are pleased you discovered The Del. Coronado is a great place to explore and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!