“Charming old place”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our first time staying here, we were really seduced by the property, history & charm. Huge beach area, the restaurants are delicious, although a bit pricey. Within walking distance to shops & restaurants. Rent bikes & bike around the island. This is really a special place & we would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: We booked online & stayed in the Ocean Towers which was a newer addition. I would call directly...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

We appreciate your comments and are pleased you discovered The Del. Coronado is a great place to explore and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,480)

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

As we approach the steps leading into the lobby we realize we are stepping into history. Not one valet allowed us to enter without making sure we were taken care of. We are speechless at the sight of the woodwork and the old elevator with the attendant waiting for a passenger. The staff is ready to give direction to your room which is updated but as the floor creaks and the heavy wood door closes you feel the age. The rooms are clean and well arranged, however, we had an issue with housekeeping at one point with a dirty glass sitting on the dresser for two days?!
Food was excellent and we had drinks one evening in the B&S bar with Gonzo serenading the crowd with melodic ease.
The Del is walking distance to shops and restaurants if you can bring yourself to leave for a minute.
Of course, we can't forget the beautiful view west over the Pacific!

• Stayed: October 2013

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Del and, as we strive to provide legendary service, we appreciate your recognition of our great bell staff. We apologize for the unusual service issues you encountered with housekeeping and hope you return again in the near future.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Loved the Del - especially with an ocean-front room. It's like taking a step back in time. The hotel is older, so expect some charm and some creaks. The staff was extremely helpful. It's within walking distance to shops and restaurants, yet it also feels like a secluded resort.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and we’re pleased that you enjoyed the historic ambiance that makes this iconic resort so special. We hope your travels bring you back our way soon.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hotel has historical "charm," however, my room was sub-standard. I stayed for two nights on business. They placed me in a second floor room in the main building with a view of exhaust stacks and the backside of the meeting hall. I would have rated the hotel higher, but the room was not worthy of a high class hotel. The room had three large floor to ceiling windows. Sounds nice, except the only shades were wooden window louvers that did little to block light, and given that the room faced east, no alarm clock was necessary in the morning. Also, the main street was a stone's throw away, so noise levels were high. The floor of the room was uneven with ridges and slopes. I would not advise for anyone with any mobility issues. The bathroom was especially cramped with a sink counter barely able to accommodate my toothbrush, toothpaste, and shaving supplies. I can't imagine what my wife would have thought of that arrangement. And as to cleanliness, I arrived to find some trash left on the sink counter, obvious soap residue on the bathroom cabinetry, and hair residue in the tub drain. Also, mold was visible in the grout lines in the shower. To top it all off, the entrance to the bathroom was partially blocked by a chest of drawers/TV stand, making it difficult to get into the bathroom. Also, the only full length mirror in the room was on a closet door that could not open all the way because it was blocked by one of the beds. I would suggest a day visit to the Del, and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and we’re saddened to learn that you were disappointed in your accommodations. We hope you brought it to our attention during your stay so we could attempt to remedy the situation. We sincerely apologize for the unacceptable service issues you encountered and will share your review with the appropriate management. We hope you will reconsider returning to The Del for a leisure visit and recommend staying in the more spacious and contemporary Ocean Towers or California Cabanas. We appreciate your input.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stay at the Del with friends 3-4 times a year. I prefer the Del over the Grand Del Mar or La Costa Resort when I want a quite weekend but with walks on the beach. I stay here when I want to rest, write and think. There's something about the Del, with its' "private" beach, that allows me to relax and work. It's a magnificent piece of property. You won't get the service you get at the Grand or the excitement of La Costa but it's a nice in-between option of fun and rest. I highly recommend it for these reasons.

Room Tip: Ocean views
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

We’re delighted that you enjoyed your getaway and appreciate your loyalty. Many famous writers have stayed at The Del including L. Frank Baum, Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote, Charles Schulz and Henry James so you’re in good company. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was nervous about staying here after reading everything on tripadvisor about how bad service was and the standard of rooms. I was pleasantly surprised. I wanted to stay here for the history like Some like it hot being filmed here etc. and I accepted that a large historical beautiful hotel on the Pacific Ocean was going to be expensive. We had the most basic room category but were upgraded on arrival to a partial ocean view. In my opinion we had a full view - one window looked directly out to the water and was lovely to look out at. Everything in the hotel is expensive but the costs are clear on the website and I expected to pay a premium for the package. I would also say that food was equivalent price to the nicer restaurants in Coronado, although drinks definitely cost more. It is an old hotel so the rooms are smaller that other spa hotels, and yes they have some funny shapes etc. but the decor is lovely and we had no complaints at all. Service is capable and friendly but not remarkable, except lady at check in, Andrea, who was excellent. I would stay here again and would recommend the hotel. Just be ready to spend!

Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your support and endorsement! As one of the last remaining Victorian seaside resorts, there’s plenty to explore and enjoy at The Del. We appreciate your recognition of Andrea and will share your kind comments with her. We hope you return soon.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I loved our stay at the Del. This is not a brand spanking new Ritz but it has incredible character complete with a hotel elevator operator that looks like he just stepped out of a 1930's movie. The service was prompt and atmosphere was more casual than I expected which we liked. Our room felt like a bed&breakfast room. The views from the back and the beach area were very nice. We would definitely stay here again if we are in the area.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

We’re thrilled that you enjoyed your visit to The Del and appreciate the nuances that make this legendary resort so special. We hope your travels bring you back to Coronado some day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!