“Great location, very nice hotel!”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed in the Victorian wing of the hotel, our room looked like it had recently been renovated to more contemporary look. The room was very nice, clean and the bathroom was a good size. The hotel location and lobby are what really make this hotel "grand". The hotel is just steps from the beach, nice to take a walk on and enjoy the sunrise or sunset. The pool is nice with ample space, the pool staff is very helpful and friendly. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful (all were smiling). I think they should lower the parking rates (self and valet)...they're just too high.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thank you for your kind support and we’re pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your recognition of our great staff and hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I love going to Coronado and part of that experience for us is staying at the Hotel del. I read some of the reviews of folks that didn't rate the hotel as highly as I do and I wonder if they had different expectations of what the del might be. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and that is what makes this so great right? Here is my take on Hotel del and why we stay there at least one time every year. Going back to the expectations comment, and please don't mistake this as negative towards the Hotel del but "luxury resort" doesn't mean the Four Seasons or the Ritz. This hotel has been around since the late 1800's and it is definitely luxurious but in a different way than some might think, you have to think old luxury. Take one ride in the old elevator, where the attendent controls it by hand, and you can only imagine what this place was like back in the early 1900's. This hotel has character because of it's age and you have to be able to appreciate things like that or you may not enjoy the hotel itself as much. I think the place is beautiful. The grounds are well kept, beautiful views, the beach is right there with clean soft sand, it's an an awesome location to travel around Coronado on foot or bicycle. The resort has a pool, although nothing special about it. I actually thought there were too many screaming kids but that is life at a resort like this in the summer. I don't have kids or it would probably be different but the resort seems very kid friendly from what I can tell. Definitely a good family spot for kids of all ages. The hotel staff are awesome. We have never had one bad experience with the service and if there was something minor it was taken care of immediately. Drinks, food, etc. might be a little more spendy than average but what resort isn't spendy these days? I don't think we will ever stay anywhere else other than the Hotel del while visiting Coronado. Highly recommended in my book!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank azray34

We are delighted that you choose to return to The Del and appreciate your loyalty. As one of the last remaining Victorian seaside resort, it’s the historic ambiance is what makes it so special. We appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff and look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We went during the summer, so I expected prices to be high, but the food prices were ridiculous! Either bring an ice chest with food and snacks if you stay here, or walk up the street to the nearby restaurants. Although, the fish and chips was really good, I just didn't want to spend that much money on them...they weren't THAT good. Service was mediocre, but again it was a busy time of year. I would still go back, but i would book in the off-season so it's not so crowded and rooms are cheaper and I would pack my own food so I don't end up spending my kids' college funds in a weekend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide legendary service and it appears we have fallen short. We recommend visiting in the fall and spring when the weather is perfect and the crowds are gone. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

it's difficult to know where to start - we had a room in a turret in the Victorian wing of the hotel. Quite small, with a cramped awkwardly designed bathroom, but adequate - until you consider the price that we paid for it. Also, one of the windows in our room seemed to be stuck wide open, so we were worken by traffic noise very early in the morning.
We did not use the facilities, i.e. restaurants, bars etc as they were always far too busy. Also, the only elevator in our wing was an antequated wire cage with operator which I just could not trust. Therefore, we had loads of exercise every day walking up five flights of stairs.
My main complaint was the lack of plumbing on the first night. We checked in at 9pm at night as our flight had been delayed. It was only in going to our room that we saw a sign that the water would be switched off in the entire wing from midnight to 6am. It would have been helpful if we had been advised of that by reception when we checked in and offered alternative accommodation with plumbing. I have never stayed in a hotel before where there has been no water supply to the room - and I have stayed in some very 3rd world countries before.
We chose this hotel because my husband insisted that we couldn't stay anywhere else given its historic associations. But it was a disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AJ0nes

We appreciate your comments and sincerely apologize for the unusual inconveniences you experienced upon check-in. The birdcage elevator in our lobby is the original and has been transporting our guests for 125 years. Thank you for your input.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I want to start off that this review is about one specific room and in no way an overall negative on the property.
This is a very beautiful and well kept facility. Grounds, all hotel areas are spotless.

However, DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 3200!!!

This is by far the worse location as it is above were the hotel maintenance staff are. Now if you want an automatic 5:00 AM wake up call then this is for you. Nothing like waking up in a hotel to employees coming to work, turning on a radio and listening to carts crashing.

The only other "negative" would be when I went to the front desk her attitude wasn't of trying to help or offering to change my room, that at a property like this was very dis-appointing.

To sum this up. Yes I would stay here again but I wouldn't stay in 3200, even if it were free

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Captain5050

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize that your accommodations weren’t satisfactory and that we were unable to remedy the situation or find a suitable solution. We will share your review with the appropriate management and appreciate your valuable input.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is hands down one of my favorite hotels. It has so many good memories over the years, and my parents I think this was their favorite hotel to stay at. They would always stay in the historic part. I am a more modern type of person and thought historic meant historic furnishings too. I was wrong. The room in the historic part are furnish with nice and comfortable beds, chairs, sofas, deck chairs.
You need to get a junior suite that has a room overlooking the Pacific. i stayed in a room that was right next to the red roof dome piece of the roof. So, the room was actually 2 rooms. It had a jut in the room that had a couch and a chair, and had a TV along with a picturesque window. The main room had the 2 queen beds, a closet. Their was a sliding glass door that went out to the balcony. The bathroom was a bit small considering how big the room was, but it to had a small slider window with an ocean view.
Dining here is great too, because you have so many wonderful choices. Sheerwater is the everyday restaurant, meaning they serve breakfast lunch and dinner. Plus they have outside dining which is a must if you are staying here when it is warm outside.
Babcock & Story Bar I have had so much wine from this place over the years my name should be carved in the bar. Best place to have a bottle or two with a good friend.
Splash Bar is where I had my first ever Coronado Brewing Pale Ale.
The ice cream place is nice on a warm summer night, or even a cold winter night. Ice Cream is good all year round.
So, if you want to visit a place of history, and want to sleep in a room where more than likely someone really famous stayed in for weeks at a time, then go and stay in the historic part of the hotel, the Victorian part. You won't regret it

Room Tip: Victorian part with an ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CentralCoastWine

Thank you for your enthusiastic endorsement and recommendations. We’re pleased that The Del has been so memorable for you. You’ve certainly experienced much of what the resort has to offer and we hope you return again soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

They made our 30th anniversary very special. They went out of they're way to make it a truly a unforgettable experience. The history of the hotel will be interesting to those who like that kind of thing and the age of the facility wasen't a problem for us. We plan on returning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

We’re so delighted that you chose to celebrate your anniversary at The Del and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The resort has a long history of romance and you’re now a part of it. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!