“Good First Impression”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Edmonton, Canada
“Good First Impression”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We didn't stay at this hotel, but we walked through it and were impressed with the ambiance and nice shops. I bought a few items from one of the shops. We liked the herb garden. But we probably wouldn't stay here since the hotel was built in 1888 and the rooms are small (reminds me of a sub-tropical version of the Banff Springs Hotel here in Alberta).

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for visiting The Del and we’re pleased you enjoyed its historic ambiance. We like to think we have something for everyone—from the charm of the Victorian Building to the more spacious and contemporary Ocean Towers and California Cabanas, to the luxury cottages and villas at Beach Village. We hope your travels bring you back our way again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel del Coronado during a four-day business trip. You can't beat the beautiful location and proximity to the beach. I had an ocean front suite and was just steps from the ocean - amazing. I was, however, a little disappointed with my room. The linens and furniture are starting to show significant wear. Similarly, with the exception of breakfast, I found the food in the hotel to be average - nothing spectactular. I am glad that I was able to stay at this historic hotel, but I'm not sure I'll return for a vacation anytime soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
We’re glad that you enjoyed your business visit to The Del and apologize if aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your feedback.
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We spent a day in San Diego on the way to visit family north of Los Angeles. Having visited the Hotel del once several years ago, we decided to book a night for a "Jay Gatsby/Daisy Buchanan" experience. It didn't quite make it.

The lobby is ornate and a throw back to the golden, pre-Depression days. The operator elevator in the old hotel is charming and the operators themselves extremely personable. We booked a basic, no view room, and received what was advertised - a view of the roof. But we were presently surprised that the room was spacious, with a walk-in closet and a frig instead of a minibar.

We enjoyed the shops - most way over priced - but we found a few items, in particular some toys our grandchildren have really enjoyed. We also took in the beach and the pool and had a relaxing day.

I will rate the restaurant separately. Although comfortable through out our short stay and well cared for by the staff, I just did not get that feeling of being transformed to an earlier, more elegant time. I have stayed at the Grand Hotel in Michigan, the Homestead in Virginia, and the Inn at Williamsburg. Nothing special like that.

No real serious complaints. But it fell short of perhaps unrealistic expectations.

Room Tip: If you aren't going to be in the room much, the basic no view is fine. Still very pricey. Size...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and we’re pleased that you had a relaxing visit to The Del. We’re equally as disappointed as you are that the experience did not exceed your expectations. We appreciate your input and hope you’ll consider a future visit.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

As other reviewers have noted - this place draws a lot of visitors beyond the hotel guests, uses up the hotel parking, as well as the on site restaurants. Be prepared for large crowds, particularly on summer weekends. Labor Day weekend we requested early check in due to arriving on an early flight - but at 3:30PM are still waiting for our room to be ready. More to come.

Room Tip: Recommend old building for a classic beach experience, or the tower building for a more modern feel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. As a National Historic Landmark, the resort does get quite busy, especially during the summer. We recommend visiting in the Fall when the weather is gorgeous and the crowds are gone. We hope your visit went well.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I are big fan of historic, grand old hotels. (Greenbrier, Mt. Washington, Grove Park, The Grand - Oslo, etc.) We don't mind the idiosyncrasies of hotels that have been renovated over the years since their original grand epoch. We enjoy being steeped in the aura of times gone by, imagining how it was, and what it was like "back then."

We really liked the Del and other than some unique circumstances, it would have earned four circles overall. The first hiccup was the room reservation. It's important for us to stay in the historic part of hotels like this, as many of them have additions that were constructed far later than the original building. If you look at the Del's website, it makes a big deal about highlighting the grandeur of the historic part of the building. If you dig deeper, you'll see that there is also another part of the hotel that is called the Ocean Tower. It looks like a Hampton Inn on the beach that was built in the '70's. Experience told me, especially during high season, that if you have a run of the house reservation, you're going in the "new" part, not the historic part, because, well, many other people want the "historic" experience too. I called beforehand and they said they wrote "prefers room in Victorian section" on my reservation.

We got their and of course, we were put in the Ocean Tower. I objected and they said they could move us to the old section the next day. We had reserved two rooms and they were adjoining and they weren't bad, but they could have been rooms in any slightly above-average hotel in the country. The next day, we were moved to a room on the second floor just off the main stairs and the second room was down the hall. We didn't mind the separation between the rooms and neither did our two teenage daughters.

The new room was exactly as we had hoped and as usual, there were a few oddities. The room had a balcony that opened up to the central courtyard - nice - and the only really strange part of the room was the bathroom. The sink was very small and the commode and the toilet had almost a hallway to get to it. The shower was small but strangely, for a hotel that endeavors to be "green," the shower head was the old-style heavy stream instead of those pathetic new ones that are barely above a mist. That was good. The floors were uneven, the ceiling high, the bed comfortable, and the appointments were quite nice. We were about to give it two thumbs up when the banging started. Yup. Apparently, they were renovating the public bathrooms right below us and the construction started at 9am and ended at 5pm. So, there was no taking a nap or relaxing in the room during the day. The hotel was full so there was no moving again (ComiCon in town). We adjusted by being out of room during the days we were there and one day, renting a Cabana at the pool ($135 per day. We could only get it one day - those too were all booked up).

As anticipated, this hotel is expensive during high season - the rooms, the food, everything. If you think you are going to get a room that even remotely has some kind of view of the ocean for a reasonable price, forget it. However, valeting the car wasn't bad, only $17/day, I think. The food in the restaurants was good - all of them - but pricey. Most of the time, we ate in town which is only a short walk. Across the street, really. Starbucks was only 5 minutes away. Being more of a gourmand than a gourmet, I don't remember the names of any of the restaurants in town but it did strike me that food is a big deal in San Diego (and Coronado) and all of the restaurants seemed to take pride in their food so the location impressed me as a notch above most destination resorts.

To the beach. One day, we rented chairs and umbrellas at the beach. Just one day. Most uncomfortable chairs ever. Just get a couple of towels and lay on the beach. However, although it was mid-July and we expected it to be warm, it never made it out of the mid-70's during the day and with the breeze, it was quite cool. We didn't even try to go in the water. I don't know if it's usually like this in the summer but we made do with the pools which are sheltered from the wind. There is an adult pool off to the side which is nothing special. The main pool in the old part of the hotel is the place to be but keep in mind, it's where everyone goes and there are a lot of young, screaming children. The poolside cabanas (with TV) are an acceptable retreat from the masses at the pool. And if you thing you are going to hang out at the infinity pool that is featured on the website, keep in mind it is for "spa guests" only. The workout room was better than average but it opens at 6am and a couple of days, they were late. Being from the east coast, I was wide awake most mornings at 4am so instead of using the workout room, I jogged down the beach along the sidewalk to the naval base. (Approximately 1.2 miles each way.)

During the stay, we did the prerequisite trip to the Zoo which was quite worthwhile. Lots of hills and this time of the year, if you think you are going to see the Pandas, be prepared to stand in a long, long line. We did the tour of the USS Midway and other than getting by the intense throng of ComiCon attendees, we liked it. Even our teenagers enjoyed it. Go figure. During the time we were there, it was a good time for celebrity watching, I guess. I didn't see or recognize anyone but my wife and daughters saw quite a number. I don't know if this is typical or because ComiCon was in town. We went to the "old" part of San Diego - can't remember what they call it other than the oldest town in CA or something like that - but I didn't think it was all that.

The rental car situation at the San Diego airport: Prepare yourself for a relatively long ride on the shuttle over very bumpy roads with Enterprise being furthest away, I think, than the others. And don't be shocked while landing - we came in right through downtown San Diego with high rises on either side. Good news is Coronado is a short drive away, over a very high, long bridge. To avoid the heavy traffic on Orange Street that leads to the Del (the way that most NAV systems will take you), take one of the first lefts after the bridge ends (4th or 5th streets) and go the back way to the Del.

In terms of the staff, I would say that they were - in general - above average but less than one would expect at a "luxury" resort. Upon check out, especially for the money we spent - you'd think they'd ask "how was your stay?" Nope. If we return to San Diego, we most likely will stay their again but only if we get a deal and we will be armed with lower expectations. Like I said, we are suckers for old hotels so they can get away with a lot more than regular hotels. By the way, the shops at the Del have a lot of neat stuff. I'm not a shopper but somehow, I got sucked in. (Wife?) I couldn't resist the "spend $100, get a free Del 125th anniversary beach towel" deal in one of them.

In conclusion, if you stay at the Del, keep in mind that one of the best parts of the experience is simply staring at the hotel from the beach and imagining how it used to be. And reading the history and taking the tour. And buying the book. And I would say, the candy shop, stocked full of really, really yummy delights. But beware - I gained 5 pounds.

Room Tip: You'll pay a lot for even a partial ocean view. They'll put you in the Ocean Towers, and ugl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Pramstroker
Thank you for your very thorough review and we’re pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay. Particular building requests are based on availability and room type, especially with adjoining rooms. We’re glad you enjoyed your new accommodations in the historic Victorian building and had the opportunity to explore San Diego. We hope your travels bring you back our way again and look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Very good location and excellent service. Average rooms and suites. Partial ocean view is still very good. Mediocre, in quality and variety, continental breakfast.
Ground floor rooms are noisy when guests occupy the upper units. Hot tubs and pools close at 8pm.
Overall quality is not proportional to the rates.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Enopsy
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Del. First, if you do not like historic properties, save yourself a negative experience and stay in a newly constructed hotel. The Del does have some uneven stairs, but it has the charm and character that come with age. A stay on the 4th floor Victorian building yielded a clean, updated room with comfortable bedding and plush carpet. A large patio overlooked the beautifully landscaped courtyard. If you don't enjoy crowds, don't stay on the weekend. Make reservations in advance, and you will have no problem getting that outdoor table at sunset. We practically had the beach to ourselves. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. The drinks are a bit pricey, but you are paying for scenery. I would avoid the Ocean Towers as they look generic and it seems they get the most complaints. The California Cabanas have a retro look, but seem awquardly located. Be very specific when booking where you want to stay. Would return again!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Sheryl B
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the historic ambiance that makes The Del so special. The best time to visit is during the Fall when the weather is perfect and the crowds are gone. We appreciate your recognition of our great staff and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 16 in Coronado
Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!