“Didn't stay here but wish I did”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We did a day trip to San Diego and this was one of our stops. Coronado is spectacular. We lucked out finding a spot right next to this hotel and walked along this oceanfront property. Stopped to have a drink overlooking the ocean. It is just such a peaceful environment. The beachfront cottages looked so welcoming I can't wait to go back and spend some real quality time there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

We’re pleased that you had the opportunity to spend some time at The Del and enjoyed its premium location on the Best Beach in America. We hope you return for an overnight stay soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,492)

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I made a reservation to stay at this hotel for a one night get away for my husband and I, for this upcoming Labor Day weekend. I've always heard of this hotel as a being a beautiful place for couples and a perfect place for that. So, I was a bit surprised that I found rooms available with such a short notice.

So, I went ahead & booked a reservation thru their mobile site as I was using my iphone at the time. I had 2 room/rates I was contemplating on. A resort king room or a run of the house rate, which was only $2.00 less than the other. After that, I did some research on the internet and as some suggested, I called the hotel to get an idea of how this specific hotel normally handle people that check in with such rates. The operator referred me to the reservation department, who then referred me to the hotel front desk, since they are the ones who check in guests and should have the information I needed. As soon as Rosie at the front desk answered the phone and I told her my question was regarding a "roam of house" rate, she immediately asked me where I found the rate. I told her that I found it on their hotel website and she put me on hold for more than 5 minutes. When she got back on the phone, she immediately tells me that she didn't find the rate I was talking about on their site and that, those rates are only for groups...not for individual booking. I explained to Rosie that the rate I found was not on their regular site, rather their mobile web site and that's probably why she didn't see it. After all, the rate I booked stated "mobile special roam of house rate." She again put me on hold for another 5 minutes, returned on the phone and re-iterated to me that roam of house rates are only for groups. I tried to be as patient as possible with this woman and advised her that the reason for my call had nothing to do w/ the information she's giving me. I had already booked the rate she's saying, isn't available for me so that was not an issue for me. I told her as simply as I could, that the reason for my call (which I never had the chance to really ask or tell her) was to find out what usually happens to people they check in with roam of house rates. I wanted to know, if I had made the right choice of booking that rate instead of the resort king rate which would mean that there's no question to what kind of room we would be getting upon check-in. However, I've read on the internet that it may be better to select roam of house rates, because there's a chance that we could get a better room if it's available upon check-in...but that it depends on the hotel, so make sure to ask and that was the main purpose of my call. She starts explaining to me what roam of house rates mean and that only groups are given those rates (again!)...I told her I know what the rate means, I'm asking what the usual outcome is with people checking in w/ those rates based on front desk experience in the past. She completely did not understand after all my explanations & again, stated that the rate I'm talking about is only for groups. At that point, I asked to speak to her manager and she stated that she is a manager. Although I was shocked to hear that, I asked her if she had a superior that she reports to that I could speak to. She abided and put me on hold...again. Heather then picks up the phone. I tell Heather that Rosie and I were not understanding each other and I told her that the reason again for my call was to find out what the front desk experience is for people who check in with roam of house rates. Obviously, at this point Rosie had already given her, her version of our conversation and the response I got was....again an explanation of how roam of house rates are only for groups and that the rate I was talking about was not on their website. She told me to make sure I was on the right hotel site. Really??? I told her I would be more than happy to send them an e-mail of the screenshot I took of the reservation I just made thru their mobile site, because obviously, they were never going to believe me. She declined, and instead told me it was fine, that they would be in touch w/ reservations department in the morning and verify, because if I did make a reservation for such rate, then it is obviously an error and it needs to be fixed. I was so frustrated at this point, that I just cancelled the reservation I made. If the experience I'm getting at the front desk level is already this bad, what more our upcoming stay.

I don't normally like to put this much detail in my reviews, unless I am doing a wonderful review. Also, I'm not even sure if Trip Advisor will allow this review to post, since we didn't get to stay here. However, I hope they do because obviously, we would have if it wasn't for the horrible experience I had w/ the front desk people. I've seen several negative reviews about the front desk and I'm wondering when hotel management will get a clue that their front desk people obviously need customer service retraining. They are driving away people/business which means the hotel is losing money. I can just imagine how many other people have experienced this and have decided to either cancel or decided not to book a room period. I'm hoping management will see this and reply as to how they will handle this incident. I am going to send an email directly to the hotel upper management and/or their corporate office, but I wanted to post this to Trip Advisor because I believe others should know of my experience and also, to see if management would bother replying to it for everyone to see.

8  Thank ladiesel
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights after driving around California for 2 weeks previously. We wanted somewhere that would allow us just to relax an enjoy ourselves and 'the Del' certainly didn't disappoint!
We loved Coronado Island the hotel is clearly the flagship hotel. We stayed in the Towers with a fabulous view of the beach and the back of the hotel.
Loved the fact that there is an 'adults only' pool - peace and quiet guaranteed, along with it's own bar and snack service.
Coronado Island is an ideal holiday venue - we walked into the village every morning an there is a great choice of places to have breakfast, as well as eating out in an evening too. Plenty of little shops to spend your money too on gifts!
Hotel staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.
It's a big place but it needn't feel overwhelming, definately would recommend to others.
Room was a good size, plenty of fresh bath towels each day.

Room Tip: Stay in the Tower - but ask for a beach-facing room rather than the car park.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind support! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Del and had the opportunity to explore the quaint village of Coronado. As we strive to provide legendary service, we appreciate your recognition of our great staff. We hope your travels bring you back our way again.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We come here when we want a beach mini-vacation. It is usually a great trip, with nice rooms and wonderful service. This time, we got to our room, an oceanview. I did not realize there were oceanview rooms without a balcony. I will make sure to request a balcony in the future. There was also a smell coming from the bathroom. When it didn't disappear after a while, we informed the front desk. It seemed to have been taken care of after about 4 hours. A bit uncomfortable, since I had to give my daughter a bath to get the sand off. She was also bothered by the smell.
I had an appointment at the spa for 9am. They called the day before to confirm the appointment, but confirmed for 10 am. After making sure that it was 10, not 9, I assumed I had been mistaken when I originally wrote the appointment down. Nope. I got a call about 9:15 am asking where I was. Unfortunately, they could not reschedule for a time convenient for me, so I did not get the spa treatment I had been so looking forward to.
Overall, this is a great place to stay, especially with kids. I think we just had a few glitches.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the Ocean Towers. They may not have the charm of the Victorian suites, but they are...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

We are pleased that you and your family enjoy routine getaways to The Del and apologize for the unusual service issues you encountered. We appreciate your endorsement and hope you can return again soon for that spa treatment.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Second time staying at the Hotel Del. Beach is second to none, water a bit chilly but to be expected for California. Property brings back memories of family vacations in the 60's, service was wonderful, employees all were professional and friendly. Front desk personal are extremely cold and unwilling to resolve your issues. Front desk is the main reason that I will NEVER return to the Hotel Del. The additional cost per day for parking, resort fee and connecting rooms can only be described as gouging and a last ditch effort to try to save a failing resort. This resort is in desperate need of a renovation and is not worth the cost per room to stay there. Weekends are unbearable as the management has decided to let everyone in with $25.00 in their hand in the hope that they will spend $14.50 per drink plus food. I didn't spend $1,300 per night for two rooms to wait online with the masses. The main pool and surrounding rooms need to be demolished, redesigned to allow open views of the property, what planet does this management team come from. The Hotel Del is Done.

Room Tip: Stay in the Ocean Towers or Villa. Rooms around the pool are damp, rooms within the main hotel are o...
3  Thank Steve C

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your kind support of our staff. We apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. As a National Historic Landmark, the resort does get quite busy during the summer and over the holidays. We appreciate your comments.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

this hotel is pricey but it did not disappoint. we got a 3rd floor room in ocean towers. had a partial view of the ocean and a view of the adult-only pool. the beach is conveniently short walking distance. rentals to umbrella, chairs, boogie/surf boards. hit the sun deck bar n grill. great for drinking and listening to live band. we stayed saturday to tuesday. on the weekends there were at least 3 weddings at the beach. the staff, from front desk to valet to the wonderful lady at the del hotdog stand, were exceptionally friendly and helpful. my kids did not want to leave because, of course, they loved the beach and playing on the sand. room service is very pricey. paid $45 total just for 2 bottles of evian water, 2 cups of kid's milk, and one sprite (my mistake for forgetting to get drinks outside on one night. we mostly ate out or did takeout orders from nearby local resto. the kids like pizza so we ordered from village pizza and dominos on a couple nites. they deliver to your room. overall had a great time and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

We are delighted that you and your family had a great stay at The Del and had the opportunity to experience much of what the resort has to offer. We appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

It really does kill me to have to rate this as a "3" or Average. The Del is a true historical gem and has always been a favourite of mine. I stayed here a few years ago and believe I gave it a "5". Some of Positives...
The Staff: At the pool, bar and restaurants. Hands down these employees were excellent. Such friendly young people from all over the world and they really took the time to know your name and provided world-class service!
Location: You cannot beat Coronado, CA. It is simply a stunning location and the Del sits majestically on the ocean.
Airport & Shuttle Transfer: This was a new service since my last visit. While it is all for hire, it was wonderful so we did not have to rent a car!
Food: The food and drinks are excellent! When room service messed up one order it was automatically taken off the bill! Although the room service food was not up to par with the restaurants.
The Victorian Building: It still retains its charm! Simply beautiful!

The Negatives:
The Rooms: The prices are steep! But that is to be expected. However the rooms were not up to par. We were located in the California Cabanas and they are in need of TLC and repair. Overlooking the parking lot for $600 was a bit of a letdown when the last time we paid less and were in the Ocean Towers with an ocean view. I would prefer to stay in the Victorian Building if I return. The rooms just were not very clean and the areas were really showing their age. In fact our room had a faulty washroom light sensor where it kept turning on all night long...thought it was a ghost at first! No joke! The kids were terrified!
The Resort: Unfortunately The Del is a tourist attraction so on the weekends it is jam packed! There are lines for everything like an amusement park even to use the washroom. Not an intimate feel at all. If you do not have a reservation even as a guest you likely will wait for hours to even get a table. Be sure to reserve first thing!
Front Desk Staff: Very cold...but I guess when you have to deal with so many "non-guests", it could be expected.Rooms were not available until way after 16:00 which after a long flight from the East Coast was a shame.
The "Resort Fee": $25 per room per day gets you access to the pool, gym, limited Internet access (mainly enough for browsing) and a daily newspaper that was never delivered. These fees are ridiculous and should just be incorporated in the price. They are a huge turn-off to travelers!
In all I love this place for its old world charm, but the management company needs to seriously sink some money into renovating this property. I hope it can regain its "5" point rating!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Victorian Building but ask for a newly renovated one that is oceanfront.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank globalflyereal

Thank you for your loyalty and sincere review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your dining experiences and appreciate your recognition of our great culinary staff. That said, we apologize for the service mishaps you encountered. We strive to provide legendary service and it appears we fell short. We hope you return to The Del so we may have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!