“Impressive beauty”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was not looking forward to staying here based on the reviews. However, I requested a room with a garden view in the main building and was very pleasantly surprised and happy because they gave it to us. I came here 16 years ago when the rooms had a floral gaudy green and yellow, I think, wallpaper and or bedspread. Now it is modern, neutral, and beautiful. We have a peaceful view of the inner courtyard, which is so pretty and relaxing.

Our room, we have no problems. It is very clean and maid service is pretty good. We have 2 more days here. There are a lot of families with kids here, and I think most of them are at the towers part of the hotel. That building is rather ugly from the outside and you can see people leaving their towels, boogie boards, etc on balcony.

I did not like the beach. It's pretty, but that's all it is. You can't even go into the water because there are tons of stinging jellyfish. Most people do not swim plus water is freezing. The complementary chairs they give to guests are a joke. They are the cheap ones that weigh like two pounds and you sit low on ground so elderly or overweight folks would have a hard time getting up and down. They need to have better beach chairs to give out or have a section of complementary lounge chairs on beach, which is manned by hotel staff where guests should have to wear wrist tags or bracelets. We are from D.C. area so we are used to 90s, and this beach has been in the 70s and I have to wear a light sweater. I have a small son and we dared to use pool once and we came out shivering. Main pool area was small and cramped with lounge chairs and wall to wall people. Not nice like pools in Cancun , Miami, or the Caribbean resorts we have stayed at, which are huge and areas are spread out. Pool area here was tight with a lot of people squished together. Not luxurious at all.

I like the look and ambience of the older part of the hotel, but the section called the Towers is ugly from outside. The shops and restaurants are crowded with non hotel guests, but it makes the place lively. However, I did not like the shops and restaurants around the hotel on Orange street. Weather is like early spring here and it's the end of July. We have spent more time touring San Diego than actually at the hotel. If the hotel guests were allowed to lounge on lounge chaises at the beach for free rather than paying $80, then we would happily spend hours on the beach looking at it. Beach is loud with a lot of helicopters and planes from Navy flying by or actually training in the waters.

The staff are very polite and friendly, especially the elderly elevator operator who already knows my husband's name and greets him every day. However, because I have a kid who likes the beach I am not likely to return to California again because beach water is cold here as well as it was in Santa Monica 3 years ago. I will stick to East coast and Carribean.

Haven't been to restaurants here yet. We have been eating at cheaper establishments in San Diego since the 5 day room stay is going to be about $1800, but we'll try a restaurant tonight or tomorrow. We did go to a seafood restaurant across the street near the harbor called 1887, which was decent, but pricey.

2  Thank ASN1972
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

We are thrilled that you returned to The Del and were pleased by the newly renovated Victorian Building accommodations. And, we appreciate your recognition of our wonderful staff. We recommend returning in the fall when the resort is less crowded and the weather is beautiful. We hope you will consider returning to The Del.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,480)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed in a beach front "cottage" with another family so we had the entire ground floor of one of about six beach front buildings. The rooms were very nice, great bathrooms and plenty of room, but the best part of the property is the deck in the front. Because we had essentially three units, we had two hot tubs and one big fire pit in the middle. We spent every night sitting on the deck watching the sun set and sparking up the fire. It wasn't private because you are steps from the beach, but this didn't bother us at all. You need a special key to access this part of the Del, which has its own private pool with bar and food service. If you don't stay in a beach front, there are a few hot tubs that only the beach village guests can use, which have ocean views, there are also two more small pools like these. The service was excellent, I guess you get what you pay for. This is a beautiful property and a splurge that is well worth it. The room came with breakfast at a private house on the property which actually belonged to Wallace Simpson. This was very nice, and had a patio with ocean views. My kids enjoyed watching the hawk that they bring to the property every day to keep the seagulls away. Very interesting. Watch your food if the hawk isn't out, they are very aggressive.

1  Thank Lisa O
Jim-BVDirector, General Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. From oceanfront accommodations to exclusive breakfast at Windsor Cottage, your family truly enjoyed the Beach Village Experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again when you are in the San Diego area.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Del for five days and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a full ocean view room in the Ocean Towers, which was modern and very clean. It was also fairly spacious for a standard hotel room. The beds were extremely comfortable, some of the most comfortable we've ever slept on. Bathroom was good, even though the shower was a little bit outdated. Everything in our room was clean and fresh, however whenever we would enter the Victorian Building the place had a somewhat "old" smell to it. Service was great-all the employees were eager to help and were extremely friendly. The beach was phenomenal-with beautiful gold specks in the sand, and nice water, but the pools were small and lackluster. One other small complaint is that everything here is extremely overpriced--don't eat here because you can get better food for MUCH cheaper. One hamburger was $20, and one margarita was $16. Other than that the Hotel Del is a beautiful place, and I recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a full ocean view! It's definitely worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your recognition of our wonderful staff who strive to always provide legendary service. The 125-year history of our Victorian Building does lend itself to a special charm and unique characteristics. We hope you will return again soon for more fun in the sun on our gorgeous beach.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was so looking forward to staying at The Del. We had some good experiences and some not so good experiences. We were disappointed in our room We had a room on the first floor of Ocean Towers. Our view was a brick wall, and the room was very dated. I thought we had a room in the main hotel, but I was mistaken. The check-in process took forever and that was after sitting in line for valet for 20 minutes.

On the positive side, the beach was beautiful. We rented a cabinette and were very happy with the staff and that area of the beach. We were not directly in front of the main hotel, so it wasn't as crowded. We did not go to the pools or the spa.

We had a fabulous dinner at Sheerwater. This was by far our favorite meal of our entire vacation. We had the Chilled from the Sea Platter and it was fabulous. The atmosphere was great except when they started trying to light the heaters. It was a little unnerving having someone light a propane heater over your head. When we complained about it, no one really cared. The breakfast buffet was expensive, but it had just about anything you could possible want. The sundeck was also a great place to sit and relax. We really enjoyed sitting there in the evening by the firepit.

Not sure we will return to The Del, but the island was beautiful and the town was great to walk around and shop.

Room Tip: If you do stay in the towers, be sure and ask for a room on an upper level.
3  Thank Shaan T

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. We apologize that aspects of your visit did not meet your expectations. We are glad though, that you were able to enjoy a beachside cabana and the delicious food from Sheerwater. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We actually are staying at the Hotel del Coronado as I type this review. I hate having to write it, but I am so frustrated with the lack of an acceptable response to our issues. It has been a horrible experience, ruining our California vacation, and it appears that front desk management, despite frequent calls to the front desk, do not really care about the room issues. This is by far the worst looking, possibly dirtiest room we have EVER stayed in (and my husband and I travel often). I have included pictures because there is absolutely no way to describe our "Ocean Tower" room issues without seeing them. When we first walked in, I was so disappointed because we thought this was supposed to be a 5 star hotel...which the rooms clearly do not appear to be. All three of the room chair's have vinyl padding that is cracked and severely shredded in parts. When I called, the front desk about the condition of the chairs, they said "housekeeping must have overlooked it". Seriously? How could anyone over look this? In what universe is it acceptable to keep chairs like this in a luxury resort (see pics)? The front desk said they'd replace the chairs, but they did not.

In addition to the torn up chairs, the dresser top is chipped all along the edges. One of the pillows was dirty or stained (not sure which) and had an eyelash on it. There was a hair on the floor in the bathroom. No washcloths in the bathroom. Bath mat is tattered and old...threads are coming all off it as it is so used. There are scuffs and marks all over the walls and door in our room and in the hallway. There are a few holes or marks on the carpet (honestly, I am not sure which but not about to stick my finger in to find out). There is some kind of a dusty vent opening next to the toilet that opens when you sit down or bump the wall by accident - not even sure what that is or why it is opening but it is gross and probably not all that safe if you have small kids that could easily open it (see pic). Also, they put us in a room with an adjoining room door, which we did not request either. There is still dust on all the lamps. In general, the decor is very outdated, including the rugs. The only thing remotely modern appears to be the flat screen TV.

You would think they would be ashamed to put their guests into this kind of a room. We called the front desk to complain about the condition of the room's furnishings and the room's location, which is on a lower floor (which we did not request). They told us there was nothing they could do. They said there were "no other rooms available". They said they'd replace the torn up chairs, which they did not. They did come and replace the bedding, but left a pillowcase on the bed. After repeated calls to the front desk, they said they would move us to a room on a higher floor tomorrow - not tonight...we are still in this awful lower room floor with everything exactly the same. And I am concerned the next room will have the outdated furnishings as well and the same issues. We tried to escalate to managers but it seems the "front desk managers" can't really do anything. As I said, they never even replaced the chairs.

As far as the beach; well, it is a beach and the ocean is nice...BUT...I am guessing because this is a public beach, because no one clears the seaweed, trash and stuff. I've been to other beach resorts where they clean all that stuff up during the day for guests. They do not bring your chairs down to the beach and set them up for you either (like we've had done at many other beach resorts). You can rent a beach cabana for $80 a day, though. But like I said, I think the beach is public so maybe that is why they can't clean it. Also, my husband reported that the pool appeared dirty (chaises were moldy) and no padding on them at all, like you'd expect at a nice hotel. Their hot tub was cool and also appeared dirty. Most luxury hotels have padding for chaises, and usually have staff who put the towels on the chaises. But at this point, we'd settle for a clean, padded chaise. Even at the DoubleTree we just stayed at had padding on the chaises, and that is a moderate range hotel.

I am so upset. I have never written a review like this while staying at a hotel but considering no one here really seems to be responding, it seems our only recourse. Unfortunately, we used a timeshare point exchange so not sure what our options are. At this rate, I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. Does it have great history? Yes. But before you fork out hundreds of dollars to stay here, I would consider staying at a Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton. Honestly, we've stayed at 5 star hotels, like the Four Seasons, and these rooms are NOT 5 stars like them. It is more like a 2 star...3 at best (at least for the rooms). We just came from a Double Tree and Hilton, and both had far, far nicer accommodations.

The only good thing I can say at this point is that the room is close to the beach, and we can see water. :-( Sad in San Diego. Ruined family vacation.

9  Thank KGKDH

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We apologize for the unacceptable service issues you encountered as we strive to provide excellent service and it appears we have fallen short. We will be sure to share your comments with our management team in an effort to make the necessary improvements. Thank you again for your input.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just got back from a week long vacation there. Had a beautiful corner room in the main hotel. We were with a group and some people had rooms in the Ocean Tower, which has not been remodeled as recently as the main hotel. Staff was friendly, room was cleaned promptly and well every day. Beautiful setting, beach is wide. Ate lunch one day at Sheerwater... It was delicious. The wine / pizza place, Eno, was wonderful... And drinks in the Babcock and Story Bar were great.

Room Tip: Corner room in main hotel. We stayed in 3339 and it was upgraded and spacious, partial view of ocea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay at The Del and enjoyed your dining experiences. We appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just returning from a trip to the Del. Had high expectations going into the trip, but sadly was very disappointed. I must admit up front that we are very spoiled travelers and are used to beautiful places, but for the money you definitely can't compare. Examples: our in room frig. broke, TV and remote never worked properly the entire stay and nothing was ever done to fix them or replace, trash left on balcony from previous guests, faux leather on all chairs in the room were cracked and peeling, bathroom wasn't up to standards for cleanliness (hairs, huge dust bunnies in ceiling vents, rusting of metals), paint and walls beat up, furniture in room had lots of dents, etc. Our room was in the Ocean Tower section, which appeared to have been a different hotel at one time, so maybe in the original portion of the Del the rooms were nicer, but never had the opportunity to see one.

Our general feeling we came away with was that the owners of the Del were taking all the profits and putting them somewhere else, no updates or general maintenance seems to have gone on here in several years. Even the landscaping wasn't up to par with what you'd expect in a place like this. They are also short on public bathrooms...there was always a long line for any of the ladies bathrooms any time of day.

To the positive: the location is good, loved seeing all the Navy Seals and aircraft during our stay, staff was pleasant, food we had was excellent, surfing program for the kids was good, loved the old charm of the hotel. We did use the Spa, the service was good, but again was disappointed with the general facilities for the cost of the services we received (i.e. the spa pool is not private, although pretty, it has a public walkway which runs directly in front of it with constant traffic so you feel like a fish in a fish bowl). Sorry the positive...since the Del was so busy we ended up getting Valet parking for free during our entire stay which was a nice perk.

Glad we were able to stay here to see what it was all about, but wouldn't go back unless they do some major updates.

Room Tip: Don't get a room in the ocean towers section, although a good view of the ocean, the rooms and b...
1  Thank Connie555

Thank you for your comments and we are saddened that your recent stay at The Del was a disappointment. As a National Historic Landmark, we can assure you that maintenance is a top priority and rotates on a regular basis. We appreciate your valuable input.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!