“Extrremely enjoyable”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed February 15, 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Del 1/24-1/28,04. It was our first stay and it was a surprise birthday gift to my wife. She loved it so much, she did not want to leave the property to tour San Diego and we only spent a little time in Coronado. My first impression was that I was aboard the Titanic...the entrance doors of cut glass, the beautiful wooden lobby with the wrought iron elevator, the chandeliers, the furniture, the hallways, the shops and the rooms. The historic atmosphere was very romantic and the buildings and grounds were impeccably maintained. The employees were very accomodating, courteous and respectful, from check-in to check-out. The room was huge (Ocean View Jr Suite) and the sunset views from the balcony were breathtaking. My wife was especially thrilled to see the US Navy Seals running up and down the beach each morning, watching Naval fighter jets flying overhead and seeing various Naval vessels coming and going out of the harbor. I don't understand those reviews that complained about the military appearance and sounds.
The rooms were very neat, clean and romantic. We never experienced noise at night. (We love staying at historic bed and breakfast establishments.) Housekeeping was especially friendly and good at what they do. The restaurants, though a bit higher priced than we are accustomed to, were well worth it. We ordered the Chef's Sampler at the Prince of Wales and we both immediately compared it to being the judges on the Iron Chef show. We were treated to a number of incredibly flavorful entrees, including Kobe Beef, and everything was served with artistic skill in a relaxing, classy atmosphere. The restaurant staff was very professional and skilled but not impersonal. You must stay over a Sunday and try the brunch in the Crown Room. We may never see a spread like that again in such an atmosphere. My wife especially enjoyed the Spa & Fitness center where she experienced a very relaxing and thorough massage. The gym was well equipped. The shops had something for everyone and the ice cream at Moo Time was really good.The outdoor pool and hot tub were also very attractive and relaxing. The cool San Diego weather was perfect for sitting in the hot tub and the pool was mildly heated. We felt we got our moneys' worth.
We will be back! Mike and Cathy, Annandale, MN.

1  Thank Mike-Cathy

San Diego, CA
Reviewed February 14, 2004

We spent the night before and the night of our wedding at the Hotel del Coronado, and I don't think we'd stay there again even if they paid us.

I booked over Hotwire, for a rate of $189/night, pretty good rate for the hotel I'd been told, but no chump change. We called them, let them know we had a lot of things going on and would have to check in a little late (why we couldn't just check in by phone like a lot of hotels let you do, I dunno) and when we left our rehearsal party (beach bonfire at Coronado's North Beach) and got to the Del, we waited twenty minutes in line (despite being only third in line) to find out our room had been given away. It was 6pm, two hours after their check-in time, about six hours after I'd called and the woman I talked to said she'd put a note not to give our room away. Anyway, we waited twenty more minutes to be "upgraded" to a different room, with two full beds instead of one king, in the "California something" wing. The new section, right by the pool. So we check out our room so we'll know where it is when we come back late at night, and because we'd like to use the restroom, and it takes us ten minutes to find the room because there are no maps and the desk's instructions were a little too vague (a flapping of the hand, "over that way") to help us in the rabbit warren. So we get into our room, and my beloved goes into the loo.
"Huh," he says, "there's a washrag on the floor." "Yeah?" I said, "The beds are kind of messed up too." I went into the bathroom and take in the pubic hair on the toilet seat (not my beloved's, this girl can tell) the soap stuck to the sink basin, the dirty towels, and a lot of other disgusting signs that the room has not been cleaned. I tried to call housekeeping, no answer. I call the concierge and am put on hold for five minutes before I hang up. We walk all the way back through the rabbit warren to tell the desk that the room is unacceptable and wait ten minutes in line to do so. We assure her that we just want a clean room, not a new room, because it looks like we might have to wait while they figure all this out. We wouldn't have minded a new room, as it wasn't quite a newlywed suite with any sort of few. We opened the window to look out at passing feet on a footpath, not very private if we wanted some sunshine. The manager comes out to say, oops, we'll comp you a breakfast. Great, we say, whatever, we really have to go. Then we leave, to get no end of grief from my beloved's mother for being gone from our party so long. We ordered the basic breakfast of coffee, juice, and four pastries with three adorable teeny jars of jam. We liked it so much we ordered it for the morning after our wedding, too.
When we woke up that morning there was a room service bill with a dinner we didn't order on it, and the first breakfast charge on it as well with no indication of it being a comped breakfast. Oh well, we'd resolve it later. I open a jam, and find it half full, someone else's knife marks in it. At this point, I felt, "Why does anybody EVER stay here?" Filthy room, used jam delivered with the $35 breakfast, $15/ day to SELF PARK your car, and erroneous bills presented... SO we waited in another huge line for a half hour to check out and ask them what was going on.

Our room was dark and cheap, worse than a Motel 6 in Bakersfield, and we just had so many problems we felt as if we'd been conned. We were envious of our family members who stayed at the Best Western on Orange.

Also, they issued us "guest ID cards" that we were to carry around if we wanted to use the facilities and they were labeled "Hotwire rate," which bothered me. Why was how I booked part of my guest ID? (Perhaps it was code for SUCKER)

Never again.

• Stayed: January 2005
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 13, 2004

I was amused to read negative reviews of the Hotel Del - a place my wife and I visit 4-5 times per year. You cannot compare this grand old hotel with a modern Marriott, it has positives and negatives that make it a class apart. The Hotel Del was built in 1888, so naturally the rooms are a little smaller, but don't be scared away by the few negative reviews. I have found that there are some people that simply cannot be pleased.This is a beautiful hotel with the most picturesque location possible. Despite one reviewer's comments, I have never seen the Coronado Bridge closed in my 10 or so visits over the past two years. It's a very short trip to downtown San Diego, the beaches are beautiful, the small shops nearby are enjoyable, and the pace is slow and relaxed. Disregard the people that are never satisfied, and stay a few nights at the Del. There must be a reason that many U.S. Presidents stay here!My wife and I visited two years ago, and it's now our quiet getaway several times a year. The pool can get crowded at certain times of the year, but our kids enjoy the beach, the pool, and the shops that are all within walking distance. Grand hotels don't last for 116 years without being a very special place.

5  Thank Blessed2BCalifornian

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Charles, Illinois
Reviewed January 5, 2004

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 279 in San Diego
El Cordova Hotel
#8 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!