Hotel del Coronado
$180
$288
$229
  • Restaurant
Loews Coronado Bay Resort(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$229
Hotels.com
  • Pool
El Cordova Hotel(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$279
$237
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
El Rancho Motel(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$129
$99
Hotels.com
Coronado Inn(Coronado)
$116
Good 3.5/5
Crown City Inn(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$110
1906 Lodge(Coronado)
$314
Excellent 5/5
Villa Capri by the Sea(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$239
$209
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
Glorietta Bay Inn(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$215
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
5,740 results
All reviewsvictorian buildingocean towersheerwater restaurantsun deckcalifornia cabanasice skatingelevator operatorocean fronticonic hotelfull ocean viewmain buildingmarilyn monroesan diegobucket listbannocknavy sealsdel coronado
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Last week I visited the Hotel Del Coronado..I had been many times before but it was a while ago. Apparently the Del had been taken over by new people in that interim...Yes, it's still nice if you've never been there, but the new owners have elected to make it into a pure convention hotel.. Gone is the Prince of Wales room downstairs, with it's lovely wood paneling and club-like atmosphere..replaced by a people mover restaurant on the veranda...made to serve the masses..the shops downstairs are still there, most of the same as the last visit..I could go on and on, but in short, the feeling that the hotel had is pretty much gone, and it could have all been done without destroying that.. and now it is sadly home to plenty of conventions, not that conventions are bad, but....thank goodness Coronado is still a great little town, and the views from the island cannot be beat!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank _RichieT_Pa_Fla
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for your comments and we apologize that the improvements in the resort since your last visit did not meet your expectations. The Prince of Wales has been transformed into our signature restaurant, 1500 OCEAN. We appreciate your input.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is an outstandingly beautiful hotel, one of the best I've ever stayed in, and certainly the best in the US. It's incredibly picturesque, old (by US standards) and in a wonderful location along side the beach. I was upgraded to a suite in the Ocean Towers, a short walk from the main hotel. Its much more modern and the view certainly made it for me, but there were still a couple of issues with the room. It's February, with strong winds. The windows and glass doors don't fit properly so not only is the wind noticeable it's cold in the room. The heating system is noisy and not very effective. It's an unfortunate downside of staying here in winter I guess.
The free internet for as more devices than I was carrying, and the free bottles of water in the room replenished every day is a very nice touch. The bed is incredibly comfortable and up there with the best hotels.
It's a bit of a captive audience on site. The coffee shops and bars are a little expensive which is where you could rack up some unexpected costs.
I would consider coming back again, but would look to stay in the hotel itself rather than in the Ocean Tower.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel rather than the tower.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Del and that you were able to experience the amenities, services, and nuances that make The Del special. We like to think we have something for everyone—from the charm of the 125-year old Victorian Building, to the more spacious and contemporary Ocean Towers and California Cabanas, to the luxury villas and cottages at Beach Village. We hope you return again soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have stayed at "the Del" in the summer, but this was our first winter trip and it was fantastic! The weather was in the mid-70's, our room in Ocean Towers overlooked the beautiful ocean and quiet beaches. The pool was open and you were able to swim laps. You could walk the beach for miles. The Hotel had an elegant and fun Valentines Dinner to dance the night away with your sweetheart, it was wonderful. Great winter get away.

Room Tip: We like the Ocean Tower Rooms they are farther away from the main hotel but they are larger and more modern.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time at The Del. The resort is quite busy in the summer and over the holidays but it’s in between that we believe offers the best experience. Our Sweetheart Ball is a great Valentine’s Day event that we hope will become a tradition for you. We appreciate your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

If you visit Coronado you have to stay here. This historic hotel is quite charming.The beach is one of the best beaches in the US. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. Restaurants at the Hotel offer great seafood. The ballroom is a great place for brunch. Concierge service very good.

Room Tip: Even though the ocean tower rooms are bigger and modern insist on a room at the main building.Standard room was small but charming.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and recommendation! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay on the #1 Beach in America and had an opportunity to experience much of what the resort has to offer. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Loved our stay at the Del. We had read that they had an amazing Sunday Brunch and so we booked the most reasonably priced room for Saturday night.

When we arrived we didn't know which parking lot to park in. At first we parked on the right side of the Del or the side entrance. We took a ticket when we came in and the parking attendants told us we needed to move to go to the main entrance. Because we didn't know where our room was so we needed to find that out first.

Of course you have to check in to find out about your room and if you park in the circle in the front the valet will badger you to valet the car which is at a much higher rate than self park. Just go ahead and self park after you drop off your bags.

We had opted to get an oceanfront upgrade if available for $100 so when we arrived Gabby told me there was an oceanfront available and proceeded to charge my card $399 instead of $299 for our room. What she failed to tell me until the end of the transaction was that my room wasn't going to be in the main hotel that is historic, but would be in a building built in 1973. When I realized this I told her I wasn't sure my husband wanted oceanfront if it wasn't in the main building. She told me to go ahead and look at our room and if I didn't like it we could go back to our original reservation. We trekked all the way over to the other room, which didn't look like anything special, other than that it was oceanfront. My hubby and I quickly took some shots of us on the balcony with the ocean behind us and went BACK TO THE FRONT DESK.

We requested our original room. Now by this time almost an hour had elapsed since our arrival and I was getting pretty annoyed that they forced this room change on us without full disclosure of its location and basically sold us something we didn't want. On top of that we wasted time parking in the wrong area and then wasted time looking at a room that was no great shakes.

I told the front desk that I was pretty upset that we were wasting precious daylight and I wanted to see the sunset. At that point I think the front desk knew that I was losing grace and gave us a very nice room in the courtyard with an outdoor area that we could sit in and have a cup of coffee. She also gave us a complimentary bottle of Hotel Del Coronado Champagne which we was delivered later in the evening.

We got to our room and quickly went outdoors to the beach to look around and catch the sunset. Because we had booked a brunch the next day we had some snacks and the champagne. We then took a walk in the Coronado village and were very surprised at how quaint and exclusive it is. You can easily get a reasonable dinner outside the hotel and save your $$ for the brunch the next day. We chose to eat light because we had heard the brunch is a lot of food.

The beds were very comfortable and we slept soundly until the first phone call at 5:55am. We got another call on the hotel phone at 6:05am, 6:09am and 7:10am. We called the front desk to ask why this was happening and got the run around. One person was supposed to get back to us but never did and another person blamed it on a ghost that "lives in the hotel" but she thought it was puzzling because she said, "this usually only happens on the third floor!" Really?

We had booked our brunch at 10:30am and we needed to check out beforehand so we could enjoy the brunch uninterrupted. We went to the front desk and they asked us how our stay was? We calmly told them about the phone calls and that we called to find out why they were happening and that no one could explain it and the front desk took another $50 off our bill.

Because we stayed in the hotel we got 20% off our brunch cost of $79/per person for an all you can eat brunch which included open bar of bloody mary's, mimosa's and any other bar drinks.

The buffet is amazing and we figured out we really got our money's worth. There are probably over 200 items on the buffet. They have a seafood area, with shrimp, dungeness crab, oysters, scallops and mussels. They have prime rib, bar-b-que, steaks, chicken. They have a salad area with the most exquisite salads. They have breakfast items. They have a chocolate bar. They have a dessert bar. They have a fruit bar. They have an area where you can have mexican or omelets made. There is a candy bar. A juice bar with watermelon shots and delicious other juices. So much, I can't even remember it anymore.

When we arrived at the buffet a hostess was trying to seat us in the back of the Crown room towards the interior of the hotel. I asked here immediately to seat us on the other side. Then we walked along the wall of windows (prime seating) and I saw a lot of reserved signs on the best tables in the room. I saw one table for two at the window that didn't have a reserve sign on it and asked her if we could have that table. We got it because I asked.

Overal we had an amazing visit to the Hotel Del as the San Deigo residents call it.

Here are some tips to make sure your visit is a great one:

1. Come early-the grounds are beautiful and you don't want to miss walking around in the gardens or enjoying the pools.

2. Park in self park after you drop your bags off. Valet isn't worth it.

3. Stay in the main hotel. It is so beautiful and so historic.

4. Book your Brunch a couple of days before you arrive so you can get a good reservation. Too late in the morning and the room could be full and then you will be seated in a smaller ballroom. The crown room that we ate in is absolutely magnificent and looks just the way it did in 1888.

5. Ask for a better table close to the large windows so you can have views of the harbor.

6. Be prepared to sit and eat for at least 2 hours. They won't shoo you away and you can stay until it closes if you like. I doubt your stomach could take it though.

7. Eat light the day before and wear comfortable clothing to the brunch. We tried small tastes of everything we had never tried before and then went back for things we really liked after our first taste.

8. Bring your swimsuit and even if you stay in the winter as we did, enjoy the hot tubs at night.

9. Have your waiter or waitress take a picture of you at the brunch.

10. Enjoy the shops on the lower level and read about the history of the Del, it is really interesting.

11. Have fun and make a memory that you will never forget, this place is magical.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building.
3  Thank Martha S

Thank you for your kind support and we appreciate your recommendations. We are pleased that you enjoyed your brief visit to the resort and our award-winning Sunday Brunch. We apologize for some of the hiccups you encountered, especially the unacceptable morning phone intrusion. Your tips for getting the most out of our award-winning Brunch are fabulous and we hope to see you back soon.