“Gotta love this place, even if it will burn a hole in your wallet”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Sitges, Spain
“Gotta love this place, even if it will burn a hole in your wallet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is an outstandingly beautiful hotel, one of the best I've ever stayed in, and certainly the best in the US. It's incredibly picturesque, old (by US standards) and in a wonderful location along side the beach. I was upgraded to a suite in the Ocean Towers, a short walk from the main hotel. Its much more modern and the view certainly made it for me, but there were still a couple of issues with the room. It's February, with strong winds. The windows and glass doors don't fit properly so not only is the wind noticeable it's cold in the room. The heating system is noisy and not very effective. It's an unfortunate downside of staying here in winter I guess.
The free internet for as more devices than I was carrying, and the free bottles of water in the room replenished every day is a very nice touch. The bed is incredibly comfortable and up there with the best hotels.
It's a bit of a captive audience on site. The coffee shops and bars are a little expensive which is where you could rack up some unexpected costs.
I would consider coming back again, but would look to stay in the hotel itself rather than in the Ocean Tower.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel rather than the tower.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Del and that you were able to experience the amenities, services, and nuances that make The Del special. We like to think we have something for everyone—from the charm of the 125-year old Victorian Building, to the more spacious and contemporary Ocean Towers and California Cabanas, to the luxury villas and cottages at Beach Village. We hope you return again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have stayed at "the Del" in the summer, but this was our first winter trip and it was fantastic! The weather was in the mid-70's, our room in Ocean Towers overlooked the beautiful ocean and quiet beaches. The pool was open and you were able to swim laps. You could walk the beach for miles. The Hotel had an elegant and fun Valentines Dinner to dance the night away with your sweetheart, it was wonderful. Great winter get away.

Room Tip: We like the Ocean Tower Rooms they are farther away from the main hotel but they are larger and more...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time at The Del. The resort is quite busy in the summer and over the holidays but it’s in between that we believe offers the best experience. Our Sweetheart Ball is a great Valentine’s Day event that we hope will become a tradition for you. We appreciate your review and we look forward to your next visit.
The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

If you visit Coronado you have to stay here. This historic hotel is quite charming.The beach is one of the best beaches in the US. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. Restaurants at the Hotel offer great seafood. The ballroom is a great place for brunch. Concierge service very good.

Room Tip: Even though the ocean tower rooms are bigger and modern insist on a room at the main building.Standa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and recommendation! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay on the #1 Beach in America and had an opportunity to experience much of what the resort has to offer. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Loved our stay at the Del. We had read that they had an amazing Sunday Brunch and so we booked the most reasonably priced room for Saturday night.

When we arrived we didn't know which parking lot to park in. At first we parked on the right side of the Del or the side entrance. We took a ticket when we came in and the parking attendants told us we needed to move to go to the main entrance. Because we didn't know where our room was so we needed to find that out first.

Of course you have to check in to find out about your room and if you park in the circle in the front the valet will badger you to valet the car which is at a much higher rate than self park. Just go ahead and self park after you drop off your bags.

We had opted to get an oceanfront upgrade if available for $100 so when we arrived Gabby told me there was an oceanfront available and proceeded to charge my card $399 instead of $299 for our room. What she failed to tell me until the end of the transaction was that my room wasn't going to be in the main hotel that is historic, but would be in a building built in 1973. When I realized this I told her I wasn't sure my husband wanted oceanfront if it wasn't in the main building. She told me to go ahead and look at our room and if I didn't like it we could go back to our original reservation. We trekked all the way over to the other room, which didn't look like anything special, other than that it was oceanfront. My hubby and I quickly took some shots of us on the balcony with the ocean behind us and went BACK TO THE FRONT DESK.

We requested our original room. Now by this time almost an hour had elapsed since our arrival and I was getting pretty annoyed that they forced this room change on us without full disclosure of its location and basically sold us something we didn't want. On top of that we wasted time parking in the wrong area and then wasted time looking at a room that was no great shakes.

I told the front desk that I was pretty upset that we were wasting precious daylight and I wanted to see the sunset. At that point I think the front desk knew that I was losing grace and gave us a very nice room in the courtyard with an outdoor area that we could sit in and have a cup of coffee. She also gave us a complimentary bottle of Hotel Del Coronado Champagne which we was delivered later in the evening.

We got to our room and quickly went outdoors to the beach to look around and catch the sunset. Because we had booked a brunch the next day we had some snacks and the champagne. We then took a walk in the Coronado village and were very surprised at how quaint and exclusive it is. You can easily get a reasonable dinner outside the hotel and save your $$ for the brunch the next day. We chose to eat light because we had heard the brunch is a lot of food.

The beds were very comfortable and we slept soundly until the first phone call at 5:55am. We got another call on the hotel phone at 6:05am, 6:09am and 7:10am. We called the front desk to ask why this was happening and got the run around. One person was supposed to get back to us but never did and another person blamed it on a ghost that "lives in the hotel" but she thought it was puzzling because she said, "this usually only happens on the third floor!" Really?

We had booked our brunch at 10:30am and we needed to check out beforehand so we could enjoy the brunch uninterrupted. We went to the front desk and they asked us how our stay was? We calmly told them about the phone calls and that we called to find out why they were happening and that no one could explain it and the front desk took another $50 off our bill.

Because we stayed in the hotel we got 20% off our brunch cost of $79/per person for an all you can eat brunch which included open bar of bloody mary's, mimosa's and any other bar drinks.

The buffet is amazing and we figured out we really got our money's worth. There are probably over 200 items on the buffet. They have a seafood area, with shrimp, dungeness crab, oysters, scallops and mussels. They have prime rib, bar-b-que, steaks, chicken. They have a salad area with the most exquisite salads. They have breakfast items. They have a chocolate bar. They have a dessert bar. They have a fruit bar. They have an area where you can have mexican or omelets made. There is a candy bar. A juice bar with watermelon shots and delicious other juices. So much, I can't even remember it anymore.

When we arrived at the buffet a hostess was trying to seat us in the back of the Crown room towards the interior of the hotel. I asked here immediately to seat us on the other side. Then we walked along the wall of windows (prime seating) and I saw a lot of reserved signs on the best tables in the room. I saw one table for two at the window that didn't have a reserve sign on it and asked her if we could have that table. We got it because I asked.

Overal we had an amazing visit to the Hotel Del as the San Deigo residents call it.

Here are some tips to make sure your visit is a great one:

1. Come early-the grounds are beautiful and you don't want to miss walking around in the gardens or enjoying the pools.

2. Park in self park after you drop your bags off. Valet isn't worth it.

3. Stay in the main hotel. It is so beautiful and so historic.

4. Book your Brunch a couple of days before you arrive so you can get a good reservation. Too late in the morning and the room could be full and then you will be seated in a smaller ballroom. The crown room that we ate in is absolutely magnificent and looks just the way it did in 1888.

5. Ask for a better table close to the large windows so you can have views of the harbor.

6. Be prepared to sit and eat for at least 2 hours. They won't shoo you away and you can stay until it closes if you like. I doubt your stomach could take it though.

7. Eat light the day before and wear comfortable clothing to the brunch. We tried small tastes of everything we had never tried before and then went back for things we really liked after our first taste.

8. Bring your swimsuit and even if you stay in the winter as we did, enjoy the hot tubs at night.

9. Have your waiter or waitress take a picture of you at the brunch.

10. Enjoy the shops on the lower level and read about the history of the Del, it is really interesting.

11. Have fun and make a memory that you will never forget, this place is magical.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building.
3 Thank Martha S
Thank you for your kind support and we appreciate your recommendations. We are pleased that you enjoyed your brief visit to the resort and our award-winning Sunday Brunch. We apologize for some of the hiccups you encountered, especially the unacceptable morning phone intrusion. Your tips for getting the most out of our award-winning Brunch are fabulous and we hope to see you back soon.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

This resort is the typical example of a wooden Victorian beach resort. It was built in 1888 and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1977. Electric lighting in a hotel was also a world first and the del Coronado was where it happened. Beside these historic facts, this hotel clearly has style and you feel it as soon as you step in the lobby. So it has personality and ambiance. It is located just by the beach and there are plenty of restaurants at walking distance on Orange Av.

My room was recently renovated and was located in the newest building (quite ugly 70's architecture, btw). It faced the ocean. It was quite nice and the bed was incredibly comfortable.

Since I attended a meeting, I can't command on food. It appears to be pricey.

Service was great all over.

Would definitely go there for a couple of days!

Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed the historic ambiance and special nuances that make The Del so special. As we strive to provide legendary service, we appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff. We look forward to welcoming you back for a leisure visit soon.
Long Beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husbad and I just returned from a 3 nite stay at the Del for a conference. I have very fond memories of staying here with my family many times so I was really excited about returning. The conference negotiated a rate where you were assigned a room upon checking in and we were very pleased with a junior suite in the Victorian building with a bacony and partial ocean view. On our second day it rained and there was quite a leak in our room. We were offered another but chose to stay with a bucket and towels. Luckily the rain stopped and they gave us a $100 credit for the inconvenience. We looked at a room in the towers and it was just awful. Ugly, musty sort of like an old holiday inn express. The the next day we were told we had to move because soemone else had reserved the room. I'm not sure why this happened since I had a 3 nite confirmation in my hand but we were moved to and ocean front with a balcony and it was tiny! No compensation was offerred for this inconvenience. Unfortunately the new corporate look of the room decor is very dark and bland...it could be a city hotel anywhere. Gone is the lovely victorian/beachy decor. Bath products and room amenities are nice including a small refrigetator, water and a coffee pot. New bathroom fixtures are needed so you can get enough water from the shower to wash your hair properly. On to food...at the first nite reception, it was inedible. In Ocean 1500, the breakfast was great as was the buffet at nite in the Coronet. It's very disappointing that dinner is no longer served in the Crown room. I love the Del, wak.ling on the beach, exploring Coronado,etc so I will likely return if I can get a good rate. It is terribly overpriced plus there's a $31/day charge to park your car and a $15 resort fee.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the towers!
1 Thank ConnieLongBeach
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We apologize for the inconveniences you encountered and for your disappointment in the changes that have occurred since your last visit. We appreciate your loyalty to this iconic resort and hope you will return again soon.
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I entered a Facebook contest offered by the Hotel del Coronado and won four days and nights in the Victorian (original) part of this 125 year old establishment. My husband, our daughters and I have stayed here several times over the last 20 years and have always been impressed with its architecture, history, and quirky but beautifully appointed guest rooms. The Del has continued to flourish because the management obviously is committed to keeping the old girl thriving. Renovation and upkeep are ongoing, and it shows. On this last visit, I was accompanied by one daughter and we were installed in a oceanside suite with a double-length veranda, featuring comfy wicker rockers. In addition to the bedroom, there was a living area space with a convertible sleeper sofa, two reading chairs and a desk. Also, the suite boasted a beautiful dining room with seating for 6. I should have brought my other daughters! We dined at both the Sheer Water and the 1500 Ocean restaurants (part of my prize) and spent a wonderful morning at the hotel's spa (also a part of my prize.) The concierge we consulted for various questions was up on all the fun things to do in Coronado and also recommended a great place to grab breakfast, Villa Nueva, on Orange Avenue two blocks down from the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Congratulations on winning our Facebook contest! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience our award-winning spa and signature restaurant. We hope to welcome you and your family back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,957 reviews

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!