“Classic”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Midlothian, Virginia
“Classic”
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

This was my first trip to San Deigo and I loved every moment. My company was hosting a workshop here for our customers and I was involved in all the behind the scenes setup. Staff was very courteous and knowlegeable. They met all my needs for equipment and did an excellent job setting up all the conference rooms.

This place has a lot of charm. The ball room was amazing for our celebrations and the food was outstanding. My room had a beautiful view of the interior landscaping as it was very quite. I hope one day to go back for a vacation.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed your first visit to San Diego and that The Del helped to make it memorable. Thank you for recognizing our exceptional staff and we look forward to your return for a leisure stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I just returned from the Hotel del Coronado and my overall experience was fine. As with most hotels, there were several things that the hotel did well, several things it did poorly, and, unfortunately, the majority of the experience was average. I had always wanted to stay at this hotel and because of the price of my room, I thought it was a 5-star hotel. But it was more like 3-4 star...which is fine. The room was priced based on its location (full ocean view) and because the hotel is one of the most famous in California, at least, historically speaking.

Here are the basics on my room: my husband & I stayed in the Ocean Towers, with a room that looked out on the beach. We paid $700 per night just after Christmas, and we stayed for 3 nights.

Below is an overview of the good, the bad, and the ugly with respect to our stay.

THE GOOD:

- The room was QUIET. This is a big deal to us. We hate hearing noises coming through the walls and we heard absolutely nothing.

- The bed was very comfortable. It is a small, as far as king beds go, but it was technically a "king" and the bedding was warm, pillows super soft...it led to a great sleep every night.

- There are 2 sinks in the bathroom. Much appreciated.

- Room service got our very particular coffee request right every single morning, and the delivery was always within about 20 minutes, despite the fact that we were in the far tower. Nicely done.

- The service on the sun deck was very good. I wish I remembered the name of our waitress but we sat and watched the gorgeous sunset from that deck one night and our server was awesome. Oh well,....we tipped her well at least.

- The sundeck overall was very cool. I love the fact that they have cushioned bench seats that allow for a more cozy beach experience. We were lucky, with great weather the first day there, and we had a gorgeous sunset, spending several hours on the sundeck and ordering lots of food and drinks to go with out relaxing time there. No one ever tried to kick us out, but we had very good service, as noted above.

- The Babcock & Story Bar is a great place to get a drink and there is at least one thing on the menu that is a must-try!! It is a goat cheese & pesto appetizer with warm, soft bread. DELICIOUS. The service in the bar was pretty good as well. Not spectacular, but good enough.

THE BAD:

- When we arrived in our room, there was only 1 robe and only 2 towels (and having to shower & wash my hair required 2 large towels, leaving my husband with none). When I called housekeeping to request a 2nd robe and extra towels, the delivery took 30 minutes and they forgot the robe. Not the end of the world by any stretch. But for $700/night, sort of lame.

- The "full ocean view"' was completely blocked by a large palm tree (see photos). This is ok, and probably sounds like I'm being ridiculous and complaining about nothing, but honestly, it was a partial ocean view because of the tree. The room should have been priced accordingly.

- There was loud construction going on outside our room during our entire stay. I could not tell if it was being done by the hotel or the city (my guess is that it was the city which the hotel would not be able to control) but at $700 per night, this was just not what I expected, especially given the tree that blocked our view. Even $500 a night would have been tolerable but $700 is a lot to pay for a partial ocean view with loud tractor sounds all day long.

- The drinks on the sundeck were weak. (But the bartender was very nice.)

- No slippers and pathetic bathroom amenities. This is a relatively small detail, and I don't usually care very much about this kind of thing, but at $700/night, I would have expected more. I would never make a decision on a hotel based on this detail, however.

- Several of the fire pits on the sundeck did not work (they did not light). Definitely not the end of the world, but sort of disappointing.

- There is no beach service. Unlike other beachfront hotels, there did not appear to be any way to relax on the beach in rented chairs, to order food or beverages, or towels, etc.

- There is no minibar.

- There is no way to play an ipod or mp3 player. Our room had a CD player (does anyone travel with music CDs anymore?) but we had no way to play music from a phone or ipod (we had both with us). There may have been a way for the CD player to hook up to one of our devices but there was no cord/adapter. Kind of lame. Many hotel rooms contain speakers for an ipod or smart phone hookup.

- The thermostat in the room did not seem to work very well. It was set at a default temperature that was way too cold for December (especially on the day when it poured & was stormy all day) and when we increased it, the fan still blew cold air. Also, housekeeping lowered the temperature after we raised it. They should be told to leave it alone. We wanted to come back to a warm room, is that too much to ask? It was freezing....

- It would be really great if there were one dining area (or bar) that were for adults only. Because we were there during the holiday, I think there were probably more children running around with nothing to do than there is during other times of the year, but having a bar, for example, that is for adults would be nice. Many hotels do not have this though, so....it's just a small thing, and listed last for this reason.

THE UGLY (keep in mind that much of this review has to be taken in the context of the $700/night price tag).

- When we checked in, there were only 2 front desk clerks and a complete zoo in the lobby, with people trying to get to the desk and crowded in a "line." This was during the 3-4pm check-in rush, so it is understandable that things were busy, but the front-desk clerk was rude, at best. Classy. Not a nice way to give someone a first impression.

- The concierge almost never answered the phone. Several times (during the middle of the day), we tried to contact the concierge desk but we were not able to reach anyone.

- The bathtub in our room (again, $700 per night) was one of the smallest tubs I've ever seen in a nice hotel room at this price. For people who don't take baths, this won't matter. For us, it was laughable.

The end result: We would definitely not come back to this hotel because you just don't get enough for the money. We generally prefer 5-star hotels and as mentioned above, we had always wanted to stay here, so even if I had read my own review before coming here, I would still stay here, but not at this price. At about $400-450/night, this would be worth the stay. Not at $700 per night.

Room Tip: If you stay in the tower when the pool is open, be sure to note that you will experience noise from...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mbanes
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review concerning your visit to The Del. We appreciate the detailed account of the positive service you received at our restaurants and the amenities you enjoyed in your room. We apologize that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide legendary service and it appears we have fallen short. We hope you reconsider returning to The Del and appreciate your valuable input.
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

As I type this My family of four has just completed night 5 of a six night stay at the Hotel Del. While the business of the hotel is not management's fault, the lack of service, poor housekeeping, the quality of the rooms, the overall value of the stay for what is delivered, is management's responsibility.

Charging in excess of 1,300 per night for six nights in this so called "luxury suite" in the 7th floor ocean tower building adjacent to the main historic building is criminal. This 800'sq ft room has all the hospitality of a Motel 6. This "luxury suite" has a single mini fridge smaller than I had in College years which I then purchased for $25 dollars. No microwave no plates no bottle opener no utensils just cheap dated inexpensive worn furniture. Virtually no closet space. A small cheap pull out couch with a paper thin mattress. A tiny table that three could not sit at. For some inexplicable reason the televisions in the Luxury Suite have absolutely horrible reception. Why? The single bathroom is very small and cramped which is very very weird for a "luxury suite."The hotel does not have to do this? What is the point? They did give us two plastic bottles 12 oz of free water - that was a nice touch.

It took three days of pleading before we actually had turn down service and the couch pulled out and made for us for a 7 and 10 year old . For nine thousand dollars for a six day stay, you would think someone would pull out the couch for the kids and put some clean sheets on the mattress and give them some pillows and towels.

To some that may say the view is worth a million dollars or the historic nature of the Main hotel justifies it , most five star hotels that I have traveled are in wonderful locations where the supply demand equation gives the hotel a premium, but my god , those Hotels at least attempt to deliver a product. Very Sad makes you feel angry .

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank hnllaw60982
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to submit a review concerning your experience at The Del. We apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and for the unacceptable service issues you encountered. We will share your review with the appropriate management so we may make the necessary improvements and thank you again for your valuable input.
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My daughter and I have been here several years in a row for Sunset Ice Skating on the beach after all where else can you do that. The Del is a Historical Hotel and is quite beautiful on the exterior and throughout the main ballrooms and dining halls. The rooms are small, dingy and overpriced. The restaurants have a great ocean view ambiance which is what you are paying for. On this trip, I was very disappointed. The service was highly sub par and the Ice Rink was awful. The ice was so melted with puddles, I should have brought my snorkle. There were so many dips in the ice and the blades were dull, it made it very hard to skate at all. In addition the ice was so over crowded it was impossible. My daughter went around the ice 5 times and said "Mom this is not fun this year, can I be done". At $25 per person, I would expect a little more attention to detail from such a high end hotel. Not sure who is managing now, but looks like they have really missed some important factors in service. I don't think we will be going again next year. Unfortunately that will be a family tradition lost at this point.

Room Tip: If you want to spend the money then I recommend the outside rooms on the beach. They are newer and u...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Grateful021
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on your latest visit tot The Del. We understand your frustration and apologize for the service issare glad you enjoyed the beauty of the exterior and main ballrooms. Your review allows us to address concerns with the ice rink and we are taking every precaution to ensure that the ice skating experience can improve in the future. We hope you will consider visiting us again, whether it be during the holidays or for a vacation in spring or fall.
Anaheim, California
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We visited from Australia and enjoyed the holel very much with our two teenagers. Regarding some of the comments by others below, Yes there are day visitors (during the day downstairs), Yes the staff were busy, yes there was some amount of limited construction going on, yes the hotel was decorated and done beautifully, yes there was an ice skating rink on the lawn facing teh ocean! but we also stayed near Disneyland just after this 3 night stay at the Del and found the same issues for about the same money spent (but no ice skating rink).

The hotel room we had was really nicely appointed and clean. The only issue i found//heard was the staff early in the morning moving numerous trolleys and the trolley's must have hard wheels because as they crossed the concrete the hard wheels 'clunking' echoed to our 3rd floor room.

This hotel was was build in the 1880's so some sounds are 'par for the course" and the charm out weighted the little issues if you're a light sleeper.

The staff I met were really cheerful even though they were working Christmas!

We also had Christmas day lunch in the Crown Room and enjoyed the lunch very much. I then kicked back pool side afterwards and read a book about Marlyn Munro and neither the day visitors or construction or trolleys concerned me what so ever.

Room Tip: We waited for "stay two get a third free" deal and it worked over Christmas so we used it...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and had an opportunity to experience the magical holidays at The Del. We appreciate your recognition of our exception staff. We hope to become an annual tradition and look forward to welcoming you back again
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,133 helpful votes
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I visited this hotel because it is a classic building......one of the "1001 buildings to see before you die." I heard they had a seasonal ice rink and so booked for my children to ice skate and booked Sheerwater, their restaurant, for lunch at 1 pm. The building is indeed a classic. That is all I can say for this hotel. I would hate to be staying here.

Lunch: We were 15 minutes early and so waited for a table at the bar for drinks. We eventually managed to grab a table, covered in used plates and glasses. It took staff 10minutes to clear it and another 20 minutes to come to take our drinks order by which time our restaurant table was ready.

It was bedlam in the hotel......long queues snaked outside the ladies rest rooms. People bumped into each other. It's the sort of place where, when you wait to hold a door open for someone approaching 10 paces behind you, they don't even thank you. It was full of an unusually high proportion of miserable and quite impolite people. It seemed exceptionally down market. Perhaps those spotted wondering aimlessly around we're just upset at the terrible service. In the packed reception area, people sat on suitcases. A very large queue of people waited at reception, either checking in or out......I heard a loud argument.

Once seated for lunch, it took one hour before we were served any food. The next table was vacant and full of dirty dishes, it took them 30 minutes to clear it. Every time the waiter came over, which was not often, he put his hand on my shoulder as he approached from behind. This was very annoying. The food was basically beach cafe food.

Service here is grim. The hotel feels dirty. Had I booked in for a holiday I would have switched to another hotel rather than stay one night. The commotion and crowds inside this hotel reminded me of Grand Central Station. Queues everywhere you look.

Why stay here when you could stay at the Grand Del Mar and use their beach service? The Grand Del Mar is 100 times better than this place. It reminds me of a cheap holiday resort. Service is dreadful......so much misinformation by poorly trained staff.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank BarryAscot
We appreciate you taking the time to submit your review. As a National Historic Landmark, the resort can get quite busy, especially during the summer and over the holidays. We understand your frustration and apologize for the service issues you encountered. We strive to provide legendary service and it appears we fell short. Thank you again for your comments.
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I am writing from the wine bar at the Del Coronado waiting to have my room changed. For 700$ a night my room was situated in a gloomy, dingy, building walking distance from the lobby. I could not believe the dirty hallways and terrible amenities in my room. An old plastic rubbish bin, a filthy, rusted hair dryer and old, dated, dirty furniture. I was looking forward to a relaxing night in, but I am now in the bar waiting to see if the next room is any better. So upset, so frustrated, so very disappointed in the Del Coronado. Please stay elsewhere if you wish to relax and enjoy luxury. This is a glorified motel.

• Stayed December 2012
8 Thank fauxfaux
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Del. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope that your room change met with your satisfaction. We like to think that we have something for everyone---from the historic charm of the 125-year old Victorian Building to the more contemporary and spacious Ocean Towers and California Cabanas to the luxury cottages and villas at Beach Village. We appreciate your valuable input.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!