“Horrible experience; terrible value for the money”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Horrible experience; terrible value for the money”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

As I type this My family of four has just completed night 5 of a six night stay at the Hotel Del. While the business of the hotel is not management's fault, the lack of service, poor housekeeping, the quality of the rooms, the overall value of the stay for what is delivered, is management's responsibility.

Charging in excess of 1,300 per night for six nights in this so called "luxury suite" in the 7th floor ocean tower building adjacent to the main historic building is criminal. This 800'sq ft room has all the hospitality of a Motel 6. This "luxury suite" has a single mini fridge smaller than I had in College years which I then purchased for $25 dollars. No microwave no plates no bottle opener no utensils just cheap dated inexpensive worn furniture. Virtually no closet space. A small cheap pull out couch with a paper thin mattress. A tiny table that three could not sit at. For some inexplicable reason the televisions in the Luxury Suite have absolutely horrible reception. Why? The single bathroom is very small and cramped which is very very weird for a "luxury suite."The hotel does not have to do this? What is the point? They did give us two plastic bottles 12 oz of free water - that was a nice touch.

It took three days of pleading before we actually had turn down service and the couch pulled out and made for us for a 7 and 10 year old . For nine thousand dollars for a six day stay, you would think someone would pull out the couch for the kids and put some clean sheets on the mattress and give them some pillows and towels.

To some that may say the view is worth a million dollars or the historic nature of the Main hotel justifies it , most five star hotels that I have traveled are in wonderful locations where the supply demand equation gives the hotel a premium, but my god , those Hotels at least attempt to deliver a product. Very Sad makes you feel angry .

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank hnllaw60982
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to submit a review concerning your experience at The Del. We apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and for the unacceptable service issues you encountered. We will share your review with the appropriate management so we may make the necessary improvements and thank you again for your valuable input.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My daughter and I have been here several years in a row for Sunset Ice Skating on the beach after all where else can you do that. The Del is a Historical Hotel and is quite beautiful on the exterior and throughout the main ballrooms and dining halls. The rooms are small, dingy and overpriced. The restaurants have a great ocean view ambiance which is what you are paying for. On this trip, I was very disappointed. The service was highly sub par and the Ice Rink was awful. The ice was so melted with puddles, I should have brought my snorkle. There were so many dips in the ice and the blades were dull, it made it very hard to skate at all. In addition the ice was so over crowded it was impossible. My daughter went around the ice 5 times and said "Mom this is not fun this year, can I be done". At $25 per person, I would expect a little more attention to detail from such a high end hotel. Not sure who is managing now, but looks like they have really missed some important factors in service. I don't think we will be going again next year. Unfortunately that will be a family tradition lost at this point.

Room Tip: If you want to spend the money then I recommend the outside rooms on the beach. They are newer and u...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Grateful021
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on your latest visit tot The Del. We understand your frustration and apologize for the service issare glad you enjoyed the beauty of the exterior and main ballrooms. Your review allows us to address concerns with the ice rink and we are taking every precaution to ensure that the ice skating experience can improve in the future. We hope you will consider visiting us again, whether it be during the holidays or for a vacation in spring or fall.
Anaheim, California
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We visited from Australia and enjoyed the holel very much with our two teenagers. Regarding some of the comments by others below, Yes there are day visitors (during the day downstairs), Yes the staff were busy, yes there was some amount of limited construction going on, yes the hotel was decorated and done beautifully, yes there was an ice skating rink on the lawn facing teh ocean! but we also stayed near Disneyland just after this 3 night stay at the Del and found the same issues for about the same money spent (but no ice skating rink).

The hotel room we had was really nicely appointed and clean. The only issue i found//heard was the staff early in the morning moving numerous trolleys and the trolley's must have hard wheels because as they crossed the concrete the hard wheels 'clunking' echoed to our 3rd floor room.

This hotel was was build in the 1880's so some sounds are 'par for the course" and the charm out weighted the little issues if you're a light sleeper.

The staff I met were really cheerful even though they were working Christmas!

We also had Christmas day lunch in the Crown Room and enjoyed the lunch very much. I then kicked back pool side afterwards and read a book about Marlyn Munro and neither the day visitors or construction or trolleys concerned me what so ever.

Room Tip: We waited for "stay two get a third free" deal and it worked over Christmas so we used it...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and had an opportunity to experience the magical holidays at The Del. We appreciate your recognition of our exception staff. We hope to become an annual tradition and look forward to welcoming you back again
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,119 helpful votes
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I visited this hotel because it is a classic building......one of the "1001 buildings to see before you die." I heard they had a seasonal ice rink and so booked for my children to ice skate and booked Sheerwater, their restaurant, for lunch at 1 pm. The building is indeed a classic. That is all I can say for this hotel. I would hate to be staying here.

Lunch: We were 15 minutes early and so waited for a table at the bar for drinks. We eventually managed to grab a table, covered in used plates and glasses. It took staff 10minutes to clear it and another 20 minutes to come to take our drinks order by which time our restaurant table was ready.

It was bedlam in the hotel......long queues snaked outside the ladies rest rooms. People bumped into each other. It's the sort of place where, when you wait to hold a door open for someone approaching 10 paces behind you, they don't even thank you. It was full of an unusually high proportion of miserable and quite impolite people. It seemed exceptionally down market. Perhaps those spotted wondering aimlessly around we're just upset at the terrible service. In the packed reception area, people sat on suitcases. A very large queue of people waited at reception, either checking in or out......I heard a loud argument.

Once seated for lunch, it took one hour before we were served any food. The next table was vacant and full of dirty dishes, it took them 30 minutes to clear it. Every time the waiter came over, which was not often, he put his hand on my shoulder as he approached from behind. This was very annoying. The food was basically beach cafe food.

Service here is grim. The hotel feels dirty. Had I booked in for a holiday I would have switched to another hotel rather than stay one night. The commotion and crowds inside this hotel reminded me of Grand Central Station. Queues everywhere you look.

Why stay here when you could stay at the Grand Del Mar and use their beach service? The Grand Del Mar is 100 times better than this place. It reminds me of a cheap holiday resort. Service is dreadful......so much misinformation by poorly trained staff.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank BarryAscot
We appreciate you taking the time to submit your review. As a National Historic Landmark, the resort can get quite busy, especially during the summer and over the holidays. We understand your frustration and apologize for the service issues you encountered. We strive to provide legendary service and it appears we fell short. Thank you again for your comments.
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I am writing from the wine bar at the Del Coronado waiting to have my room changed. For 700$ a night my room was situated in a gloomy, dingy, building walking distance from the lobby. I could not believe the dirty hallways and terrible amenities in my room. An old plastic rubbish bin, a filthy, rusted hair dryer and old, dated, dirty furniture. I was looking forward to a relaxing night in, but I am now in the bar waiting to see if the next room is any better. So upset, so frustrated, so very disappointed in the Del Coronado. Please stay elsewhere if you wish to relax and enjoy luxury. This is a glorified motel.

• Stayed December 2012
8 Thank fauxfaux
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Del. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope that your room change met with your satisfaction. We like to think that we have something for everyone---from the historic charm of the 125-year old Victorian Building to the more contemporary and spacious Ocean Towers and California Cabanas to the luxury cottages and villas at Beach Village. We appreciate your valuable input.
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at the Beach Villas at The Del, Coronado in July 2012 for 4 days.
We're going back in July 2013.

not one for going back to the same hotel - simply because its never quite as good as the 1st time.
that said, we really enjoyed the place, the whole trip was excellent. Staff were attentive and very friendly - they couldn't do more for you if they tried!

Room Tip: we took a 2 bedroom ocean view apartment. great views and amazing sunrises.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris C
Temecula, California, United States
Reviewed December 26, 2012

So wonderful! We stayed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day! Just fabulous, very Christmasy, beautifully decorated! Even had old-fashioned carolers in costume. However, the restaurant Ocean 1500 was disappointing, especially for the price. Server very inattentive as well.

Room Tip: Courtyard can be a bit noisy from food carts and personnel during the night.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darla R
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and we're pleased that you chose to celebrate the holidays at The Del, which is a truly magical time. We apologize that our signature restaurant fell short of your expectations and for the service issues you encountered. We value your input and hope you will return again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,969 reviews

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!