“Beautiful location, hotel just so so” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
“Beautiful location, hotel just so so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I can't deny I am a sucker for Old Victorians but this hotel was more like a shell of a hotel. Its pretty to look at but I've stayed at better hotels for a lot less. We were in an oceanfront room ($700 a night) and every morning at 8am the bulldozer would start as they were redoing the walkway. I must have asked 10 times if there were any rooms in the main hotel (we were in the tower on the beach which is separate building and you don't even feel like you are at the Del) and was told I wouldn't be happy there bc rooms were smaller and it would be loud as it was Halloween and families with kids would be coming in. The first night we were awoken at midnight by a couple having a BLOW OUT FIGHT, it was loud and scary. We kept thinking it would end or surely someone would call security (wish we had) but it went on and on. The next morning after complaining we got a $50 credit toward breakfast. We went down for breakfast the next day but you can't just have eggs and bacon and coffee you have to buy the whole BUFFET. I don't mind buffets but sometimes you just want a bagel and a cup of coffee. No other choice but a starbucks inside for breakfast that costs as much as the buffet for a coffee/bagel! My other pet peeve about this hotel is that its got a beautiful view but they have no beach lounge chairs. Just these little rickety metal sand chairs you can borrow. My back hurt for two days after using one for two hours.
So you have this beautiful view but no where to lay out to enjoy it. The pool is behind a wall set down beneath it so you can't see the view. The only place to lay out is the spa. I did enjoy my one day at the spa and spent all day by the pool there (but its only for customers of the spa and ONLY for the day of your service). In addition, we asked for a king bed when we made reservation but when we arrived were told only double available. We were there for 5 nights and no accomodation to change our room even after the loud argument, the bulldozer and the fact that we had made the king reservation. Just kind of like take it or leave it. We ended up stuck there for two more nights due to Hurricane Sandy and we could have stayed there but we decided we had had enough and we chose to LEAVE IT. Ended up at a much cheaper hotel and were were so happy!!! Sorry Del you've got history but not much else! My advice...buy some beach lounge chairs, do construction in middle of the day not the morning and make your breakfast not buffet only.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay in the tower its oceanfront but you are not actually in the Hotel Del its a wa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JFK5
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered and that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. We try to meet room requests whenever possible, however, it is based on availability at the resort. We understand your frustration and appreciate your input.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,079)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I haven't stayed at the Del since I was a kid and my Grandma stayed here during her visits. This review is about the staff that is great the property which is gorgeous and how getting lost in the hallways of the hotel was a highlight of the weekend. Even though we weren't staying there the staff was gracious, helpful and full of information. The morning started with coffee and a comment of I wonder if they have the ice skating rink open yet. My boyfriend and I walk over to the Del to find out. Then we took a detour we walked through the beautiful hotel up to the 5th floor and down to the main floor. We found lots of interesting little nuances like the lower floors have higher ceilings and narrower hallways, the upper floors have a little more of a tilt. We then found our way to the bad weather tunnel (can't remember what it's actually called) and got lost the staff smiled and kindly let us out. Now if only we could remember how to read roman numerals the visit would be complete 8)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We are so glad that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Del and were able to rediscover some of the nuances that make the resort so special. As we strive to provide legendary service, we appreciate the recognition of our wonderful staff. We hope you return again soon for an overnight stay.
Edinburgh, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed in one of the big suites and it was absolutely divine. The room had 2 televisions, a huge veranda overlooking the entertainment area and beach. It was amazing. We ate outside the hotel as the food was very expensive. $12 for a cocktail at the beachfront bar! Both the food and alcohol was way overpriced for what you got.

Room Tip: Ask for the beachfront suite!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HusterUK
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Del and we are thrilled that you enjoyed the beachfront location. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Cornville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was very excited to stay at this property as I had heard very good things, but I was disappointed. We were in the Ocean tower which was a newer building, but it still had issues such as molding coming off the ceiling, horrible water pressure in the shower and what seemed like paper-thin walls (we heard everyting going on in the next room). There was construction going on near the boardwalk and so access to the beach was restricted to a couple openings. I walked down to spend some time at the spa and was told thre was a day fee of $55 which is very expensive. I asked for a tour and it was very basic--a hot tub, dry sauna, access to a small private pool and very very non-distinct relaxation room. Needless to saw, it was not worth the $55. On the upside, it is very close to an amazing number of eating places and cute shops.

Room Tip: Certainly an ocean view but they do charge $100 more for the view. We had a view of the parking lot...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to at The Del. We apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and appreciate your input.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I loved it! My room was a bit small but my friends wasn't. I didn't mind because we were in the oldest section of the hotel. It was like walking back in time. Cute shops too! I would go back in a second.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review and we’re pleased that you enjoyed your visit and the historic nuances that make the resort so special. Every room is unique in the 125-year old Victorian building. We hope you return again soon.
Honolulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed 5 nights for a conference. This time I stayed in the Ocean Tower. Slightly more expensive, but much larger rooms. Stil very thin walls and you could hear the conversation of your neighbors without trying to be nosey. A bit of a walk each morning to the main hotel but I thought it was worth it. Besides, the Ocean Tower isn't haunted, like the main hotel building. All of the staff, from the front desk, to the maids, and servers and bus boys at the restaurant, were extremely helpful, friendly and courteous. The view cannot be beat, unless of course you live in Hawaii and have a view like this of the beach every day, like me. There are a number of decent restaurants walking distance from the hotel. There is also a $25 resort fee, for the free wifi, newspaper, and exercise room access. The daily parking fee was expensive as wel, but I think they forgot to add in on my bill. I used the exercise rent, which was OK, but also enjoyed running on the boardwalk.

Room Tip: I might recommend the new Ocean Tower, rather than a room in the main building. Some attendees at th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and beautiful beachfront location during your business visit to The Del. We also appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff and hope you return again soon for a leisure visit.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

As a way to celebrate with my family over a recent promotion, we decided to upgrade our stay to one of the finest hotels in/near San Diego. We ended up feeling like everything was amazing to look at, but not nearly worth the price.

When we arrived, we found there was no place to park, so we HAD to valet our car for the $40 versus the NORMAL $30 parking fee (don't waive the extra money, right?). So, after checking in to a very disappointing room (much smaller than we anticipated), we went down to the beach (which was amazing) and paid nearly $60 for two mixed drinks, a hot dog, two sodas and a couple bags of chips. They even charged us $12 for the use of a cheap umbrella on the beach.

I will admit that we had a nice time and the place was beautiful, but paying over $500 per night for the room is obscene. It just isn't worth it. I've stayed in luxury hotels in New York, Philadelphia and on vacation up and down every state on the eastern seaboard, but this didn't offer anything in terms of luxury outside of the price and the facade. Granted, people were very nice and did everything they could to take care of you, but you just didn't get what you were paying for. With that kind of price in the past we have been treated to amazing rooms with beautiful showers and a concierge to make sure we received everything we desired, but this didn't offer that. It had a great view, but I felt like everywhere we went, we were being gouged for money.

Was it worth it to charge $80 to park for two days? We even decided to get pizza delivered from an off-property place and had two medium pizzas and a salad delivered to the room to the tune of $80 (I guess the locals feel like they can gouge too). That is not the fault of the del, but it just felt like the spirit of the trip was perfectly caught in that! If I felt like we were getting the value for the money, I wouldn't say much, but months later, I feel like staying at the del Coronado was a mistake that I made that I wish I could take back.

But you at least have to see the place - it is gorgeous!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased that you chose to celebrate your special occasion at this iconic resort. We apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and appreciate your input.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 281 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 stars 1,814 reviews

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!