“Fantastic location at the Hotel California...”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Del certainly has a charm of its' own situated on one of the best beaches in the USA. We self parked and were only staying one night for a weekend getaway. There was a band near the pool at happy hour cranking classic tunes and Saturday night was in full swing. The pool was nice and we used the jacuzzi late afternoon. Our room was clean, the view of Glorietta Bay was perfect.

Staff was very nice and we really enjoyed the Sunday morning buffet---it was awesome at Sheerwaters overlooking the beach.

They could use some upgrades at the property. The parking lot system of paper tickets needs to be modernized like systems at other newer hotels, and parking is limited.

It was a great stay, but I am not sure I would rush back based upon the room rates of $500 +/- per night.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

We are pleased that you enjoyed your brief visit to The Del and our location on the 2012 Best Beach in America. While the hotel can be very busy in the summertime, we do offer some great rates during the Fall and springtime when the crowds are gone and the weather is still gorgeous. Keep an eye out for them on our website and we hope you return again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,628)

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Ok, so you know I already gave it a low rating but why? First, I did check the reviews before I went here. And it seemed a great place to stay. I realize now for the high ratings it's not so much what they say but what they don't say as this was my first bad hotel experience for a much ballyhooed, luxury hotel. I'm not bent on trashing the hotel but there are a number of things that I expected of an oceanfront, expensive, luxury hotel that you just don't get at this hotel. People who rated it highly were focused on the archtecture, history, location. They are indeed correct. Those that rated it lower were disappointed with the room, or service or crowds. They,are indeed, correct. So what gives? It's all about your expectations and what you want in a luxury, oceanfront, hotel (notice I repeated luxury, OCEANFRONT, hotel.) Did I mention it's a LUXURY, OCEANFRONT, HOTEL. BIG BUMMER #1) One of the main reasons I booked the hotel as I had visions of lounging on the beach in a comfy chaise lounge, under a big, sturdy umbrella, with an attendant putting out big, fluffy, oversized beach towels and a cabana girl or boy coming around to take my drink order or food order while I gazed across the Pacific to Point Loma. (I did get to gaze across the Pacific to Point Loma). So I get my swimsuit on, sunglasses and ask the nearest employee where the beach cabana was. I was directed to the pool. The pool attendant gave me a small, rusted, worn-out umbrella with the point broken off. The kind of umbrella you buy at a drugstore for $10, a flimsy, cheap beach chair and a thin worn out towel she called a beach towel. "That will be $12 for renting the umbrella". Seeing my expression she says "we are trying to make them last the season". Sort of in a state of shock I head down to the beach looking for the cabana. No cabana, no beach service, no private beach. In fact, I now learn that San Diego County does not allow alcoholic beverages to be served on the beach. Where did I miss the fine print on this? (Asking the concierge later he said beach service was limited. I said you mean NO beach service he said uh, well limited). The beach is not private. Important point here because as a landmark it attracts lots of day tourists meaning CROWDS. Oh, I did get some of the limited beach service. The umbrella, missing it's point, was hard to plant in the sand and eventually took flight directly into my face. My wife, fearing she was next, went to the pool girl who came down with a hammer and banged it into the sand as none of the other umbrellas were in any better condition. Welcome to Hotel del Coronado a LUXURY, OCEANFRONT hotel. BIG BUMMER #2) after complaining about the whole beach thing to the front desk they asked "are you eating on premises tonight" I said yes we have reservations for outside at the Sheerwater Restaurant we want to see the sunset. He said "then dinner is on us". Wow, OK, alright, the spot on my face from the umbrella attack doesn't hurt as much anymore. Happy meter maxed out, we show up at 6:30 to be seated for our sunset dinner.The hostess seats us on a canopied covered porch the kind that has sides that hang down and closet to the interior of the hotel. I said we have reservations for outside. Giving me a steely look she says this is the Verandah it is outside. I said we asked specifically to be outside to see the sunset what's that area down there. "that is the patio sir and they are all reserved". How are we suppose to know the difference between outside on the Verandah and outside on the patio? She gave me a silent steely, staredown. This story is longer but the upshot is she wanted money to move us to the patio and was using the interpretation of "outside" to put money in her pocket. I know this because I saw it happen with money changing hands later with another couple. And I saw the male hostess seat a couple next to us on the patio with just them asking. SMALL BUMMER#1) the food was excellent and waiter outstanding. But then again every restaurant we went to downtown had excellent food and waiters/waitreses. Our room faced the courtyard which is very pretty, with tables except when you are trying to sleep and someone has had too much to drink and gets very loud using the F-bomb as adjective, noun, verb, adverb, dangling modifier you get the picture. Finally quiet at mid-night. SMALL BUMMER #2) get up in the morning start the in-room coffee pot. No cream or sugar. Call housekeeping put on music hold for 10 minutes. Hang up wait a while call back put on music hild again. Call front desk"are we suppose to have cream and sugar with coffee supplies" yes sir you are . Well, no one in housekeeping will answer. Sir I will personally see that your cream and sugar are brought up. Never arrived. We left.
Conclusion: The room was nice, the food good, the architecture awesome. Some employees were fabulous. If you are good with this a 5. No beach service, junk for beach gear, public beach, day tourists mobbing every part of the hotel (signs say they can't go upstairs and pool accessible by room key only), some staff dishonest, unfriendly and unresponsive a 1. I have stayed at other luxury, oceanfront hotels and this is not one but you be the judge of what works for you.

Room Tip: Our room was nice but was noisy facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Tony0146484

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Because the resort is a National Historic Landmark and situated on the recently named Best Beach in America, it can be quite busy at times, especially during the summer months. That said, there is no excuse for the unacceptable service issues you encountered. To that end, we will be reviewing your comments with the appropriate managers in an effort to make the necessary improvements. Again, we appreciate your valuable input. Thank you.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Del is a beautiful hotel and has a fantastic location on the wonderful island of Coronado. We travelled down from LA and were really looking forward to our 5 nights at the Del. We had read the reviews on tripadvisor so were ready for the check-in chaos and the parking problems reported by others but thankfully we arrived on a Tuesday and it was very straight forward. That was not to say that we did not have problems on the weekend but the valet took care of the car!

The room was functional and was located in the ocean towers so you do feel a little bit away from the main event. That said once you step outside and explore the resort you do feel very privileged to be there and we soon felt relaxed in the Californian sunshine.

What stopped us giving this hotel 5 stars was the service in Sheerwater as both breakfast and dinner were a shambles. At dinner the service was very attentive at the start but as time went on and more tables got filled the service went downhill. The waiting staff simply disappeared for long times and we found ourselves chasing them for more drinks. Surely giving guests more drinks whilst they are waiting for food is the 101 for running a restaurant! Other tables that arrived after us were having a worse time as they missed out on the decent service at the start. Needless to say people including us were cancelling reservations for later in the week.

Breakfast was a buffet affair and we thought we would be safe with this option but again it disappointing and was hard to get coffee refills, tables cleared, fresh cutlery and so on. The problem was clearly a lack of staff and could be easily rectified by the hotel management. The staff worked hard but there simply was not enough of them.

Other places to eat and drink at the Del were much better and we loved the lunchtime food on the sun deck with great views over the beach. We also enjoyed the food and drinks in Babcock & Story and had a great BBQ shrimp pizza.

We loved the island of Coronado and the Del is very iconic and yes we would definitely go back but we would think twice about booking the Sheerwater for dinner even though it has an excellent menu!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BourneFFC

We are pleased that you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay at The Del. We apologize for the unacceptable service issues you encountered and understand your frustation. We will share your comments with our culinary management team so we may make the necessary improvements. Thank you for your valuable input and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This historic gem is nestled right on a rocky beach in the deep southern point of California, literally a stone's throw from Mexico. Upon arriving on the property, you will feel like you stepped into the past. Dark woods and beautifully maitained grounds can keep you exploring for a while. Make sure to stop and have a bite or a beverage on their very large veranda-like patio that overlooks the beach you will feel like you left the country for a tropical vacation. Beware though, that because this is a popular spot, the service may be slow or spotty. Also the hotel offers very limited parking so be prepared for a hike. Worth a visit and the drive from San Diego is idyllic.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

We are pleased that you appreciate the historic ambiance that makes The Del so special to visit. Thank you for your recommendations and we hope you come back soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

If you want to stay where "Everyone knows your name" This would be the place!! (how they do that I don't know..... they have learned the meaning of "Customer Service" and take it to an art form. Everyone from the moment you step out of your taxi, to the shop owners. Everyone is friendly, and happy for you to be there.
Tehy remember the fact that we can stay where we want, and they show on a daily basis they want us to stay there. You will not be disapointed.
The beach is wonderful, and with the bit of rocks making a wave break, you can have the kids out in the water with no worries of sneaker waves coming in.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your enthusiastic endorsement and support! We're glad that you enjoyed our location on the #1 Beach in America and appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was my first stay at the Hotel Del and I enjoyed the stay. The renovated guest room was very tastefully decorated in warm colors. Their staff are first rate from the doorman to the housekeepers and in all the restaurants and bars. I didn't have a ghost sighting even though my room was close to the one they talk about at the Hotel Del. The food outlets were great, but I thought the breakfast buffet needs more space as servers and cooks were bumping into people trying to fill their plates with food (the main service doors are right in the middle of the buffet area). Also, the line for the omelet station was very confusing-no clear start of the line and the chef did not always know who was first. I suggest more signage or a short rope line.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your first visit to this iconic resort and enjoyed our recently renovated Victorian guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with our culinary team so we may make the necessary improvements. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We didn't stay here, but did want to see the property and have breakfast while we were visiting the San Diego area. The hotel is special and worth a visit just to walk around and enjoy its architecture and the setting. The buffet was the BEST we have every had. Everything was top notch and there was even tremendous raving about the scrambled eggs.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for visiting The Del and we're pleased that you enjoyed our daily breakfast buffet at Sheerwater. We hope you return again soon for an overnight stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 286 in San Diego
La Avenida Inn
#6 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!