6,122 results
All reviewsvictorian buildingocean towersun deckice skatingcalifornia cabanaselevator operatorsheerwater restaurantocean fronticonic hotelmain buildingmarilyn monroefull ocean viewsan diegobucket listbannockmain pooldel coronado
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We enjoyed a 1 night stay here in August. The hotel and all the amenities are top notch. The beach in front if the hotel is wide and beautiful. We used 1 of the pools and ate at the poolside restaurant. The pool was nice and clean and the lounges were very comfortable. The food was average. I have 2 sons ages 7 & 8 and they took the surf lesson offered. The lesson was great along with the instructors but they had us on the side of the beach that was so covered in seaweed it was difficult to walk or stand. The boys kept getting tangled in the seaweed.
After some difficulty with the front desk we were finally able to check in after a 6 hour wait. We received a room other than the one promised but by then I just wanted to get our things in a room. The hotel is so expensive and you don't even get the room for 24 hours! The room we had was in the older part of the hotel but the rooms had been recently updated. The room was bare minimum. No extras or very nice amenities. Just a room, beds, tiny bathroom and desk. Clearly the extremely high price is for the hotel itself and not for a quality room.
We enjoyed the beach and ate dinner at 1 of the restaurants. The food was good and the breakfast buffet the next morning was amazing!
I would stay again but be more selective about the room choice.

Room Tip: It's worth it to upgrade to partial or full ocean view. I'd also suggest the newer part of the hotel and a balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

We are pleased that you enjoyed The Del, it's location on the #1 Beach in America and your dining experiences. We like to believe we have something for everyone from the historic charm of the Victorian Building to the more contemporary Ocean Towers and California Cabanas to the luxury cottages and villas of Beach Village. We hope you and your family return again soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

First the positives. The building is stunning, and historically interesting. The past has been lovingly maintained, but the rooms have most of the amenities of 2012. My adult daughter and I stayed in in the Ocean Tower, with a balcony overlooking the beach and the ocean. The room was very nice, and housekeeping did a great job. The view was stunning. The grounds of the hotel are magnificent. Check-in and check-out was seamless. I had a fabulous, but expensive, deep tissue massage at the spa. The hotel is within walking distance of many good restaurants. We ate at a different restaurant for each meal (which was a little hit and miss) but there were many options available.
Now, for the less positive. 1) The resort is spread out over several acres and areas are connected by corridors and stairs. After we checked in we were told where our room was and ventured off to find it. After several missteps, we found it of course. Over the course of our 5-day stay we encountered other guests attempting to find their room. Signage would help reduce this problem. 2) The "adult pool" and hot tub was closed for the season. We were there mid-September and would have enjoyed using the adult area. Opening it on the weekend would have been nice. 3) The hotel was understaffed because it was mid-September. In the pool area, one young staff member was trying to do what generally several staff would have been doing. Increased staff over the weekend would have been helpful. 4) Bed pillows were less-than-perfect, and there weren't other pillows to choose from. 5) The majority of the staff (except housekeeping) behaved as if answering questions or helping out in general was a burden. The concierge in particular did not explain things to us in an understandable way and seemed rather put-out. I asked the bell staff to call a cab for us at a time certain - but he failed to do so. The valet then call the cab. 6) It is ridiculously expensive. In-room movies were around $15.99, a sign posted that parking for 24 hours was $51.00, a pina colada poolside was $14.50 and on and on. We at at the more "upscale" restaurant on the premises, which I will review separately, and were disappointed. My daughter's steak was good; my duck was dry and unappealing.
Again, the building is beautiful, inside and out. The beach is gorgeous. I don't see the appeal that the hotel seems to have.

Room Tip: Ocean Tower rooms that face the beach. Gorgeous.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MargaretWashburnBend
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

We appreciate your comments and are pleased that you enjoyed our gorgeous grounds, award-winning spa, and historic nuances that make the resort so special. We apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and for the unacceptable service issues you encountered. We pride ourselves on providing legendary service and it appears we have fallen short. To that end, we will share your review with the appropriate managers so we may make the necessary improvements. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was my second stay at the Del. I liked it the first time, but this time I got a beautiful room (junior suite) with a view of the ocean from the side of the Victorian building. Unfortunately, I was only there two nights! The only trouble I experienced was the fire alarms in the old building went off around midnight my first night. I am a bit of a night owl usually, but since I had gotten up early two time zones earlier than the Del, I went to bed around 10. After the first time, it went off again, I think they said due to a short. It was annoying, but in an old building you have to take fire alarms seriously. I was so glad for the robes! Even with that disturbance, I loved my stay and would return in a heartbeat. It is just so relaxing. I enjoyed the yoga on the beach the day my meetings started at 10, although it was too late if you had to attend business meetings in the morning. The instructor did a good job of guiding you through it, but of course it is always harder when you don't know what is coming next. The give of the sand makes it very different than in a studio.

Room Tip: I think the old building has much more character than the tower, and this time I even had a view (my tower room faced the parking lot).
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I had some concerns based on reviews I'd read, but our stay at the Del was great. Very nice room (Junior Suite), in excellent condition. Nice staff, too. I would choose the original Victorian part of the hotel over the Ocean Tower--I didn't see the rooms there, but it looks uninteresting from the outside. Our room was a nice size, about what you'd expect of a Junior Suite, although the bathroom was a little small. But the room was perfect, with flawless furnishings. We watched "Some Like It Hot" in bed on the laptop (it was filmed there). It's a gem from California's past.

Room Tip: We had ocean front in the Victorian section and listened to the waves as we fell asleep, but a room looking into the interior courtyard would also have been nice because it has such a nice historical ambience.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pascal414

We are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Del and appreciate the historic nuances that make the resort so special. We like to think we have something for everyone--the historic Victorian building, the contemporary Ocean Towers and California Cabanas and the luxury villas and cottages at Beach Village. We hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our stay was in August 2012, high season, 5 nights. The public areas of the hotel were very crowded from about 10-6, with huge lines at the ice cream parlor at the hotel all the time! However, the beach had plenty of room for us to spread out, and we could always get a chair at the pool too. Another nice aspect was the location of the hotel-- easy walking to scores of restaurants of all different price points, a nice bookstore, coffee shop, even a laundromat (good for my 3 kids).

The staff at the hotel (primarily front desk and housekeeping) were obviously very very busy, but were helpful, positive and professional. We had one dinner at the hotel, not so great. We also got breakfast room service one morning-- a wonderful, worth-it splurge. Our kids were in heaven.

Room Tip: We got a "partial ocean view" 2Q which was extremely nice, huge view and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

We are pleased that you enjoyed your summer stay at The Del and had the chance to experience all that the resort has to offer. The summer months can be quite busy and we appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff. For a quieter visit, we recommend the fall or springtime and hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.