6,180 results
All reviews victorian building ocean tower sun deck ice skating california cabanas elevator operator sheerwater restaurant ocean front iconic hotel main building marilyn monroe full ocean view san diego bucket list bannock main pool del coronado
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was my second stay at the Del. I liked it the first time, but this time I got a beautiful room (junior suite) with a view of the ocean from the side of the Victorian building. Unfortunately, I was only there two nights! The only trouble I experienced was the fire alarms in the old building went off around midnight my first night. I am a bit of a night owl usually, but since I had gotten up early two time zones earlier than the Del, I went to bed around 10. After the first time, it went off again, I think they said due to a short. It was annoying, but in an old building you have to take fire alarms seriously. I was so glad for the robes! Even with that disturbance, I loved my stay and would return in a heartbeat. It is just so relaxing. I enjoyed the yoga on the beach the day my meetings started at 10, although it was too late if you had to attend business meetings in the morning. The instructor did a good job of guiding you through it, but of course it is always harder when you don't know what is coming next. The give of the sand makes it very different than in a studio.

Room Tip: I think the old building has much more character than the tower, and this time I even had a view (my tower room faced the parking lot).
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I had some concerns based on reviews I'd read, but our stay at the Del was great. Very nice room (Junior Suite), in excellent condition. Nice staff, too. I would choose the original Victorian part of the hotel over the Ocean Tower--I didn't see the rooms there, but it looks uninteresting from the outside. Our room was a nice size, about what you'd expect of a Junior Suite, although the bathroom was a little small. But the room was perfect, with flawless furnishings. We watched "Some Like It Hot" in bed on the laptop (it was filmed there). It's a gem from California's past.

Room Tip: We had ocean front in the Victorian section and listened to the waves as we fell asleep, but a room looking into the interior courtyard would also have been nice because it has such a nice historical ambience.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pascal414
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

We are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Del and appreciate the historic nuances that make the resort so special. We like to think we have something for everyone--the historic Victorian building, the contemporary Ocean Towers and California Cabanas and the luxury villas and cottages at Beach Village. We hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our stay was in August 2012, high season, 5 nights. The public areas of the hotel were very crowded from about 10-6, with huge lines at the ice cream parlor at the hotel all the time! However, the beach had plenty of room for us to spread out, and we could always get a chair at the pool too. Another nice aspect was the location of the hotel-- easy walking to scores of restaurants of all different price points, a nice bookstore, coffee shop, even a laundromat (good for my 3 kids).

The staff at the hotel (primarily front desk and housekeeping) were obviously very very busy, but were helpful, positive and professional. We had one dinner at the hotel, not so great. We also got breakfast room service one morning-- a wonderful, worth-it splurge. Our kids were in heaven.

Room Tip: We got a "partial ocean view" 2Q which was extremely nice, huge view and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

We are pleased that you enjoyed your summer stay at The Del and had the chance to experience all that the resort has to offer. The summer months can be quite busy and we appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff. For a quieter visit, we recommend the fall or springtime and hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for our anniversary. It was SO beautiful. Absolutely loved it. We walked to different restaurants at night and breakfast on Sunday morning. People were friendly.
We had an ocean view. A bit more pricey but o-so worth it.

Room Tip: Ocean views are a bit more pricey but oh- so worth it!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BBrown3275, Owner at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Happy Anniversary! We are thrilled that you chose to celebrate your special occasion at The Del and enjoyed your stay. We hope to become an annual tradition and look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel del Coronado while we were in town for an event at the Naval Base. It is a gorgeous venue (we saw several weddings on the beach while there). We upgraded our room on arrival. Upgrades are at extra charge. It was worth it. Had a room in the Towers, 2 queen beds and "partial ocean view". The view was actually more than partial. It was beautiful. Had 2 dinners at Sheerwater. Food great (especially the oysters!), service really casual. Our first dinner, 6 guests, was incredibly slow. We didn't mind because we were there to spend family time. They did give us some complimentary oysters. 2nd dinner was just for 2. Went faster, but we were somewhat taken aback by the waiter telling us that we could finish our wine at our leisure and no need to leave immediately once we'd finished dinner. Well yeah!

Breakfast buffet very nice.

Room Tip: towers good choice
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank orlop

Thank you for your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and dining experiences at Sheerwater. The Ocean Towers does afford beautiful views of the Pacific. We hope you consider returning to The Del the next time your travels bring you to San Diego.