“Had to visit the Historic Hotel Coronado”
Review of Coronado Beach

Coronado Beach
Book In Advance
More Info
$64.00*
and up
Ferry Ride and Small-Group Tour of Coronado from...
Ranked #1 of 29 things to do in Coronado
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular surfing beach.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were told we needed to check out the Hotel Coronado so that we did! We were staying with friends north so we were not hotel guests.
The beach reminded me of childhood ( I grew up on CA beaches) and our girls loved it, although we were not there to swim just spend a couple of hours.
We enjoyed appetizers on the patio of the hotel and wandered around the historic site and gift
shops. Our kids have seen Some Like It Hot so they had fun thinking about the scenes being filmed there. Overall a great spot to check out.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,155)
All reviews
in 98 reviews
"flecks"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

The area around the beach is very nice. I dont know if I went at a bad time, but there was seaweed everywhere! When I went in the water I got covered in it and. even discovered seaweed in my pocket later. I did not.like the feeling of seawed hitting me in the water and I had to walk through huge swarms of flies that were on all the beached seaweed to get back to my chair.

1  Thank jaygilgert
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Great beach at first sight: miles of sand, surrounding landscape with mountains and nice architecture, little gold-like particles in the sand and water, but:

- water itself was not translucent at all, so I guess at least children can feel some discomfort,
- as SD is big military base, you could hear US Navy's airplanes and helicopter literally each minutes over your head. I would not say it did stimulate relaxation.

Plus any merchandise infrastructure is missing. Comparing e.g. to Venice Beach, you have to go much further to buy any drinks or food.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed this beach. the waves were nice. the sand was very fine. the parking was very reasonable and easy to find on the street and free. there was a beautiful view of the Coronado hotel

See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I like Coronado Beach must better than dirty places like Mission Beach or Pacific Beach. However, with 2 small children the last time I was in SD I decided to find a more family-friendly beach. If you want a place to play sand volleyball or just hang out with friends, this beach will do. But if you want a place with clean restrooms and more things for your kids to do, I would suggest Del Mar Beach. There are 2 parks right on the beach with clean bathrooms, grassy areas, and a playground. Also, at Coronado Beach you will most likely have a LONG walk from where you parked and a LONG walk if you want to grab lunch when you are finished. This is not the case at Del Mar Beach. I was a longtime fan of Coronado but I have now switched. (If you are staying at a hotel on Coronado Beach, that would be different and I would do that in a heartbeat, because the beach really IS one of the prettiest).