“What a great place to stay!!!”
Review of El Cordova Hotel

El Cordova Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Vancouver, BC
“What a great place to stay!!!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We were just here for a week with our family (the two of us and our three year old) and we have loved the location and the hotel. You get a great bang for your buck and has small personalized service. I want to mention Jay and Christine as they both stood out but everyone here was awesome. My only dislike was the noise in our room as we had the restaurant on one side and the road on the other. As there is no AC and we lucked out with some abnormally hot days you had a choice to roast or it is so loud it drives you a little bonkers. Still a great room and we are already considering when we could return.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for the review of the hotel. I am glad that my staff made your stay a memorable one. However, I would like to make one correction concerning our rooms. Every one of the guest rooms at the El Cordova Hotel has heating and air conditioning in it. I would like to find out if yours was not functioning properly so that we can fix it for the next guest that uses the room. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your stay. You can also call me when you are ready to stay with us again. We love our return guests!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I had been to Coronado twice before, and stayed at the El Cordova one previous time (I was young, and didn't remember much about it.) My husband and I just returned from a nine day trip, and had a great time. The hotel was clean, staff was friendly, the grounds were fun, and the rooms were unique. I love that there are shops and restaurants so close by. I would recommend a better continental breakfast- perhaps set something up down in the patio area? We found that the staff at the breakfast location was not overly friendly, even on days where we paid for breakfast. But, a few other travel tips: Things that we loved and that were totally worth it: Balboa Park, San Diego Zoo, Chez Loma (!!!), Little Piggy's BBQ, Gaslamp Quarter and Westfield Mall, Ferry Ride, Boardwalk, Ferry Landing, USS Midday Tour, Candy Place on Orange Street, Mootime, Art Museum at Balboa, Botanical Gardens, Miguel's, Basement of the Del Shops, Things we did not love: The Tavern (gross food, cool environment lured us in.) Price of Seaworld is INSANE, Prices at some of the museums at Balboa are also insane and not worth it, La Jolla- crowded, price of parking is pretty intense some places. Overall, we had a great great time! The weather was great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Great place! I really enjoyed this hotel and the service was excellent. I would recommend this to my friends and family. I was here on business so i didn't really get to see much, but bed was nice and room was spacious.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank schuey91
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am sorry that you did not get to experience everything that El Cordova has to offer. The next time that you are here on business, I suggest having lunch at the Brigantine Seafood restaurant. It is a great place to host a business lunch and has some of the best seafood on the island. My personal favorite is the fried calamari and jumbo shrimp. We hope to see you again real soon.
Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was VERY impressed with this hotel. The staff was exceptionally wonderful to our wedding guests that stayed there for our spring 2012 wedding. Our guests basically used every hotel room and they had nothing but wonderful things to say about their stay at this charming hotel. All the hotel rooms are updated and very nice. We loved that there was always coffee or tea in the lobby. I also had a very good experience with the general manager with planning the hotel room block. He was very flexible and always available by phone or email. In other words, very charming hotel that is a great place to have your wedding guests stay if you are planning a wedding on Coronado Island. Or, if you are just looking for a place to "get away" this hotel is in an amazing location and you would not need a car to enjoy the Island.

A little bit more information about the hotel: This historic hotel is tucked within the shops kiddy corner from Hotel Del and across the street from the beach. It reminds me of a Spanish hotel with the two story, outdoor hallways with cobble stone pathways and a courtyard for a small gathering. There is a pool and hot tub area with grills. We saw a deluxe standard, one bedroom suite and the Casa Grande. It has Mexican decor with stone floors and Mexican tiles. The one bed room suite has a separate bedroom, a living room with a pull out couch and small kitchen. All rooms overlook the courtyard/pool area. Attached to a Mexican restaurant with bar and margarita specials which are DELICIOUS!, On one side the Mexican restaurant is also a coffee shop with a side-street cafe. Also attached is the Brigantine, a seafood restaurant where we had our rehearsal dinner and the food was amazing. The staff at the restaurant was also so friendly, flexible and helpful with our planning. HIGHLY recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We had a reservation for 1 night. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here. It was clean and had a nice kitchenette. The decor and atmosphere were really fun -- as their brochure describes, it has a "charming hacienda atmosphere" and is surrounded by restaurants and shops. Miguel's Cocina Restarant had very good food - we got take-out there and ate in the lovely hotel courtyard. There was a nice pool and convenient laundry area. It is about 2 blocks from a great beach. A few things that could be better: 1) the check-in clerk was not friendly or welcoming, but he was competent, 2) the air conditioner was only in the bedroom, not throughout the living room (where the sleeper sofa is) and kitchen, though there was a ceiling fan in the living room and a window in the kitchen, 3) there was only one or two spots for unloading and loading which can be an issue at a busy time (when we were checking out we found a metered spot and kept feeding the meter) 4) there is no free hotel parking; the parking garage is about 1 block away for $8. But overall we had a very relaxing stay here and would love to go back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
RANCHO BELAGO
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel was just what we thought it would be. Rustic, spanish, roomy, clean and comfortable. We were in room 35, right next to the restaurant (which was very, very good - love the warm cheese-jalepeno dip served with the freshly made tortilla chips). The light fixture and mirror in the bathroom were brand new and beautiful. The staff was very friendly and we just felt welcome. Coronado is a beautiful area and The Del right across the street was twice the price. We would stay here again. And the crepe place for breakfast was really good. Different, yet filling and felt healthy. My one complaint would be to have high def on the TV. Shame to have flat screens without it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I kind of hate to spread the news about El Cordova because I love it so much, I do not want to try and stay there and have it all booked up! However, they do provide a wonderful vacation rest place. Love the decorations, the service, and the coffee in the office at all times. We really enjoy the Spanish music and the restaurant on site, too. It is so centrally located and quite "cozy". Love all the shops in walking distance. Best part is....walk to beach!

Room Tip: Love the suites. Have stayed here approx 3 times in 2012. Very happy.