“Would definitely go back”
Review of El Cordova Hotel

El Cordova Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Would definitely go back”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Great location. Close to the beach and shopping and restaurants. Based on other reviews on here and other websites I was not sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. My guess is that the people who don't like this hotel are those who expect to be treated like a Vegas high roller and want ice to be delivered by someone in a tuxedo. If you want that, this is not the place. If you want a place that is quiet, clean, easily accessible and near everything and has a certain charm then this is a good place. We liked our room a lot, but not every room is great. We looked at two other rooms in this hotel upon check in before choosing the room we did, but to each his own. Service was good and staff was accomodating. No complaints from us.

Room Tip: Street parking, but not as bad as it seems upon arrival. No problem parking on a very busy summer we...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed at the El Cordova in April 2011 for a destination wedding that was hosted at the Hotel del Coronado. The Del is amazing and all the wedding events were fabulous. We opted for the El Cordova because the bride and groom had a block there and it was a cheaper nightly rate that the Del.

The hotel is a great location. It has a lot of charm which is deceiving at first. The lobby is cute but the hotel is a little confusing. Here is where the charm comes in. It is supposedly an old apartment building that was converted so you have to maneuver your way around the building, some long hallways and stairs to find your room.

When we started to get ready the first night of our stay - the charm started to wear off. The water pressure in the bathroom and kitchen was non-existent as were the electrical outlets. It was just the minor things that made it all a little lacking for the price. Also, the decor and furniture needed an update.

We did have a large room with a living room and kitchen so the space was nice but the furniture was cheap and dated and the rooms seemed so dark.

We had a major issue the night of the wedding as we were getting ready. The electricity in our entire room went out after I turned on my blow dryer. I tried to find the electrical box but had no luck so I called the front desk. Approx 20 mins after I called, I walked in the hallway to find the front desk person walking around trying to find the electrical box to re-set the outlet. I was really nervous! They could not find the box (and apparently didn't until a few hours after we left) so they let us use a room down the hall to get ready in. That was EXTREMELY nice of them and very accommodating. I was so grateful but I have to be honest that it was a pain esp since it was the only night of our stay that we had a time crunch. We discussed this at check out and they took a percentage off the bill which was great. Again, this was so accommodating and thoughtful but I couldn't help thinking that the power should not go out in a hotel when a blow dryer is turned on (regardless of whatever else was on). If they have electricity use issues, then I would hope they better explain that to their guests in the future to avoid this problem. I highly doubt this was the first time this happened; although, it was interesting that the front desk person did not know where the electrical box and was even knocking on other rooms on our floor to check for it. (Sorry to all those people I inconvenienced).

Overall, the hotel is nice but not worth the price when you can stay somewhere else on the island for a few dollars more. It has a lot of charm and seems to be independently owned and operated (which I love) but I want a little more when I am paying well over $200 per night.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Thank you for your review of our property! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the wedding during your stay. As you have mentioned in your review, we most certainly do having a charming and unique property. When the new management company took control of the hotel at the beginning of the year, we started the process of evaluating each room for upgrades and retouches. However, the process is not complete. We will still be in the process of remodeling the rooms continuing into 2012. Yet our main focus is still to provide excellent guest service in clean and comfortable rooms.

I am unaware of any electrical challenges that we may have in our rooms, however I will be sure that our maintenance staff checks all circuit breakers. We want to ensure that we have enough power for any normal electrical usage during your stay. We have been lucky to survive the hot summer when the air conditioning units are at maximum usage, and have not experienced any power outages.

Once again thank you for providing feedback on your stay. We would love for you to come visit us again on your next visit to San Diego.

Mica Jackson

Berkeley, California
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Great place for: People who value unique locations, local charm, and style and who are looking for a little extra space to spend more than a day or two. Very good for kids as well.
Not so great if: You are looking for an absolutely 5-star experience, you can't abide a little (clean) wear around the edges, or you want absolute peace and quiet.

We selected this hotel for a 5-day vacation on Coronado Island where we wanted easy access to the beach, room for 2 adults and 1 child, and some local charm. It was absolutely perfect in all respects. The property is beautiful, a 80+ year old building with Mexican tile and flowers and oozing with character and uniqueness. We took one of the small suites - a living room with a couch that converts to a bed (for our child),a small dining area, a small kitchen,a large bedroom, a large closet, and smallish but cute bath. It is less than a 10 minute walk from the beach, 12 to hit the water. It is surrounded by Coronado's beach-town vibe. The room was clean and cute, the bed comfortable, and sleeping was quiet and nice. The staff was friendly and helpful but unobtrusive. The pool and hot tub were perfect for relaxing or letting the child work off some steam. All in all it was absolutely perfect for our family to serve as a lovely and comfortable base camp to enjoy the beach, Coronado, and San Diego.

It is, as advertised, an 80+ year old property, well kept, but wearing (nicely in my opinion) around the edges. Don't expect a brand-new and perfect shining building. Management has done some nice upgrades, there's an air conditioner in each room (I think), and the kitchen appliances worked nicely.

The only thing to bear in mind is that the ground floor on the street side is the extremely popular restaurant Miguels/Miguelitos which is packed every single night, has a patio, and can be very noisy. I would not want to stay in the rooms over it. As it was, with our windows open (to get the lovely sea breeze) we would hear it as background noise all evening. But, once the windows were shut and the a/c was on, we couldn't hear a thing. We booked well in advance, asked for a room away from the restaurant and they were happy to accommodate us. If I were you, I'd recommend the same.

All in all, we will happily go back!

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room away from Miguel's restaurant.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This is a great hotel for families that is less expensive than the Hotel del Coronado, but right across the street. We had a two bedroom, two bathroom unit with a living room and small kitchen. There is a nice, warm heated pool that our kids spent hours in everyday.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank lexileo
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed in the standard basic room here at El Cordova for 5 nights, and loved the location, price, and friendly staff. This is definitely a "boutique" type property, with a charming small room. The closet is nicely sized, the bed very comfortable, and the internet service very dependable and fast (for our business needs while away). The room has a great ceiling fan and programmable window unit AC. We were pleasantly away from the noise of Orange Ave, within the Cordova courtyard area. The bathroom is quite small, but has a nice shelf ledge that you can put to good use. The price was great, so I'm rating this clean, comfortable, great location hotel room a . . . value gem!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scottsdale_AZSherry
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Our first stay was great. the second a disaster. Bed was so poorly made it looked like someone thru the sheets at it. I watched the housekeeper take the used cups & glasses in the room into the bathroom & wipe them out & put them back. The room was dirty & not well cleaned. It seemed like we where at a different hotel from our first stay. Maybe different management??

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vaquerosinfrontera
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
On behalf of my entire team, I’d like to apologize for the dissatisfaction that you have experienced with your room. It is the hotel’s policy to daily replace all soiled dishes and pans. The dirty dishes are to be cleaned and inspected in the housekeeping area and not in the rooms. We also conduct regular surprise inspections on the rooms to ensure cleanliness. Your experience is being investigated for further follow up, resolution and retraining if necessary.

Your stay is certainly not typical of the high level of service we strive to provide our guests. I hope that you would give us a chance in the future, should your travels bring you to the San Diego area.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at Cordova in 2009 and have never forgotten the European feel. When we checked in back then- the room was not what I was expecting and they switched us around to a better room. We are coming back this month for a week, with our family in another room, and I am a little nervous but hoping there has been some renovations so the first room we are given is wonderful!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2011
Let me be the first to say, Welcome Back! I am glad to hear that you are giving our lovely hotel another try. I am confident that you will find our rooms to be clean and comfortable, and that our staff will be ready to accommodate your requests. Please feel free to stop by our front desk and ask to see me. I would love to say hi and hear about your travels.

We'll see you soon