Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
La Avenida Inn(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$200
$180
$305
$254
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
El Cordova Hotel(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$279
$220
Hotel del Coronado(Coronado)
$404
$349
1906 Lodge(Coronado)
$249
Villa Capri by the Sea(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$219
$203
Glorietta Bay Inn(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$215
  • Breakfast included
Coronado Inn(Coronado)
1,469 results
All reviewswater taxicoronado islandferry landingsan diegowalking pathbay viewtennis courtsconvention centerseaport villagegaslamp quarterself parkingsofa bedbike rentalssmall fridgerooms are largefire pitnice property
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We stayed at this hotel on our wedding night seven years ago. We enjoy the location, the view and atmosphere the Coronado Marriott provides.

We recently took our kids there and stayed in the executive suite for one day. We walked to the Old Ferry Landing for lunch, hung out at the pool and ate dinner poolside. It's nice to be able to treat ourselves to affordable luxury even for one day.

Our view of the hotel room was of the Coronado bridge. The next time we stay there, I'll have to request a city view.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank AsianVista
Reviewed June 24, 2007

We stayed last weekend at the Marriott. It was a weekend away from the kids, so we were looking for relaxation and opportunites to explore Coronado. The hotel Del is like a cross between Disneyland and a Hotel, and we weren't looking to be in a crowd, so we tried the Marriott.

At check-in, we were asked if we wanted self or valet parking - chose self, and it worked out well for the weekend. Parking is underground for the main part of the hotel, so you can get pretty close to the elevator to your room.

The room was extremely nice. Very large bathroom, nice separate shower and bathtub. New flat screen TV, and a nice large porch with (in our case) a view of the resort pool and the bay. Nice streams outside the room, and the bubbling water helped with noise during the day from kids at the pool.

The resort pool is very nice, although there were a lot of kids present. The bar by the pool serves some pretty nice drinks. On the other side of the resort pool is a dock on the bay, where you can either pick up the water taxi, or rent a boat. We opted to rent a boat, and had a great time around the bay, checking out the aircraft carrier, etc.

The service was good, and the hotel staff was very nice and helpful. Breakfast in the morning was brunch-style, outside or inside seating, and very nice. There's a nice spa, with locker rooms, excercise equipment, saunas and a lap pool.

The resort is right on the boardwalk, which provided for a nice walk around the bay. You can walk to Il Fornaio along the boardwalk, but our meals weren't very good, so we won't be doing that again.

Dislikes -- The rooms are accessed from outdoor common areas. These tend to be a little noisy, and aren't secure. We were pretty close to the main lobby/building of the hotel, so there was more noise from people coming and going than at more remote parts of the resort. Not a big deal really.

They are still rennovating the landscaping, so it wasn't exactly picture perfect everywhere.

All in all, it was a good time, and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ocangelfan
Reviewed June 22, 2007

We booked a room at the Marriott for 3 nights and ended up only staying one. We decided on the Marriott because we liked the location and the idea of the Ferry to downtown. We arrived in the evening, approx 8:45 and had reserved a bayview room. The front desk clerk was very nice and efficient when checking us in. We were sent to room 180 (an ajoining room) which was on the ground level. We had a view of the pool, but a very slight view of the bay and it also was located right next to one of the hotel restaurants. We went back to the front desk and asked for a room on a higher floor, but was told that the hotel was full and there was nothing else available however we could check back the next day for availability. We were tired and decided to go to bed.

The room was nice and the bed was comfortable however we were not able to enjoy a peaceful nights sleep due to the noise. First of all outside of the rooms is an open air attrium/breezway (not carpeted) which is nice to walk through but not nice when everything echos throughout the night. There seemed to be many children staying at the hotel which kept running and yelling outside our door until 11:00pm. At approx midnight we heard someone pushing a cart with dishes on it from one end of the hall to the other which echoed very loudly. Then at 6:00am we heard LOTS of birds chirping very loudly and continued until we heard the children next door screaming at 7:30am. We do not have children and are not unreasonable about noise in hotel rooms. However we certainly do not go on vacation to be awakened early in the morning by someone else's children. The hotel should have a designated family area to avoid this.

Needless to say we did not have a restful night so we went to the front desk and asked to check out early stating that we had a change in plans. We figured it wouldn't do any good to tell them about the noise because what could they really do about it however at $275 a night plus $18 a day for parking, we was not going to stay in a place where we could not get a peaceful night of sleep. They said they would waive the penalty for checking out early. We will be checking our bill... On our way out through the attrium/breezeway we saw a LARGE cage of birds which totally answered our question about where the noise came from. We are still asking ourselves why a hotel would put a large cage of birds in an attrium/breezeway right outside of the rooms where people would be sleeping? Needless to say, we will not be returning to the Marriott and would not recommend this hotel if you are looking for a restful vacation.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank EmilyArizona
Reviewed June 5, 2007

I just returned from staying at this hotel. I was pleasantly surprised with the property, rooms, service and location. This hotel is well worth the price. It is well located on the bay on Coronado Island. The staff was accomodating and pleasant. (The pool staff made some amatuer errors but quickly recitifed their mistakes.) The rooms were large. The linens and towels were soft and comfortable. I recommend the self-parking as it is directly under the property and very easy to manipulate. (In fact, the self-parking is easier and quicker than using the valet.) All rooms have comfortable balconies but you should request a room overlooking the bay or the pool. Unfortunately, my room overlooked the adjacent parking lot (not the same lot that is under the building) and ball fields. The only negative experience was that the concierage. While they tried to assist, they were inexperienced and unknowledgeable. You are better off asking locals for site-seeing, shopping and restaurant recommendations

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 4, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the Marriott and were most disappointed. We had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try. The reviews were good and the website made it look relaxing, but it proved to be otherwise.

The hotel is nice, but spread out. We had to walk quite a ways to our room which was no big deal. The room was REALLY nice. Big room and bathroom. Decent sized outdoor patio. The beds were comfortable. There was a nice view of the bay, but not too much to see other than cargo type ships. The location was good. There's an Albertson's grocery store 2 blocks away which was very convenient. If you take the path by the water around, you will run into some nice restaurants and shops. Otherwise, there's not much around. The main pool was BIG and looked very inviting. We were there on a Thursday and it wasn't crowded at all. There is a little park and playground right next to the hotel for kids. However when we tried to take our daughter, there was a mommy boot camp going on with activities on the kids playground and we were told we couldn't use this public playground.

The hotel has a water taxi which looked pretty neat. Their brochure doesn't say where it goes, but the front desk said it went to the Marriott on the other side of the bay. The brochure says that it runs from 7am to 7:30pm, Sun - Fri and 7am to 9:30pm on Saturday. However, when I called at 4:30pm to inquire about taking it to the other side, I was told that it only ran until 5pm. I told the front desk clerk that their brochure said it ran until later. She said the brochure contained their summer hours. I told her it was a little misleading because it doesn't say "summer hours" next to it or anything. She just kept repeating that the hours in the brochure were the summer hours. I was a bit confused because this was June 1st that I was there. You know, after Memorial Day. I know summer doesn't officially begin until June 21st, but most people think summer sort of officially begins after Memorial Day, but whatever.

When we arrived late in the afternoon, they were finishing up some landscaping work for the day. We didn't really think much of it until the next morning when the crew arrived at 7:30 with their bulldozers and jack hammers to start taking out big shrubs. We understand that people have to do landscaping and were okay with it, I guess. We figured that it wouldn't be going on during the weekend at least when people were there more to relax and soak up the sun. WRONG! I called the front desk to inquire how long the landscaping was going to continue. She said that it was going all day from 7:30 - 5pm seven days a week. I told her that was a little disappointing because my 1 year old daughter was having a very hard time napping. The front desk clerk didn't seem to care. She just kept repeating the times of the work being done. We felt as though the hotel owed us the courtesy of telling us that work was being done when we booked the hotel. This was a last minute trip and we checked the website several days prior to our arrival. They had plenty of opportunity to make us aware of the situation. Most other hotels have that information on their website, but this hotel did not.

We arrived late in the evening after traveling all day. After walking around, we just decided to do room service. We placed our order and were told it would be 30 minutes to deliver it. An hour later, it was delivered. We received utensils, but no napkins or anything. The food was a bit on the cold side, but we were hungry and didn't care. We had just gotten our 1 year old to sleep and just dug in. My husband took 2 bites of his crab cake sandwich and couldn't eat anymore. He said it tasted rotten. We decided just to go to bed and deal with it in the morning. In the middle of the night, my husband got sick and ending up throwing up. The next morning, my husband called to ask for credit for his sandwich which he couldn't eat. He explained that it made him sick after 2 bites. The person was most apologetic and promised to credit the whole meal and give us 20% off of our next meal. My husband said that wasn't necessary because we did eat everything else and did drink quite a bit of the bottle of wine, but the guy insisted. We thought the place had redeemed itself. Later in the afternoon, we looked at our bill on the TV and noticed that we had only been credited $14.50 for the sandwich. When we called to inquire as to why we were only credited for $14.50 when we were promised credit for the whole meal, the manager said that the person my husband talked to previously had no authority to give credit. We were okay with it, but were disappointed that the first guy promised something he couldn't deliver. My husband told the manager that he felt we should also be credited the 20% (of the $14.50) automatic tip that they include. This threw the manager for a loop. My husband tried to explain that the tip is based on the total of the meal. My husband didn't want to tip something that made him sick and something that was ultimately credited to his account. The manager never got it. He ended up getting mad at my husband and said that my husband should not have received any credit. My husband should have called right away and let them send up new food. Give them a chance to make it right. That is true, but after waiting an hour for food and after finally getting our daughter to sleep, we didn't want to wait another hour to have a replacement sent up. Finally the manager credited our account another $25.

We had requested a crib and refrigerator for our daughter which the hotel did provide (which was GREAT.) Unfortunately, the sheet on her crib must have been laundered in their industrial detergent. I'm a new mom and didn't think to bring my own crib sheet, but will next time. The next morning, my daughter woke up with a horrible pustular rash all over her face and her eyes were quite puffy and swollen. So, word to the families with little ones, bring your own sheet for the crib. It didn't bother her or slow her down, but she looked sooooo pitiful!

One small thing that was totally out of control of the hotel, but a little frustrating none the less was that we were woken at 7am to some Navy ships coming into port blaring "Born in the USA" VERY loudly over their ship radio. No biggie, but keep in mind that it is a port area and there were ships coming and going at all hours.

We finally decided we'd had enough. We called to see if there was a penalty for checking out early. I explained that the landscaping was sooo noisy that we weren't enjoying ourselves and that our 1 year old was having trouble sleeping/ napping so we were wondering if there was a penalty to check out early. The front desk clerk said no penalty and that was it. You'd think that they would have offered to change us to another room or assist with facilitating a move to the Marriott across the Bay or at least apologize for the noise, but nothing! Granted, we didn't ask for either of those things. Who knows if they would have done it had we asked. We decided to cut our losses and leave the next morning.

We called the front desk and asked for the bell boy and a taxi. We checked out via the TV, but stopped by the front desk to get a copy of the bill. The front desk clerk said to me very rudely, "What was wrong with the copy of your bill that was left on the door? Wasn't that good enough for you?" I had a hard time calmly explaining to him that we didn't get a copy of our bill on our door. So no, it wasn't good enough for us. When we got to the lobby, there was a Lincoln Town Car waiting to take us to our destination. We asked the bell boy if it was the same fare as a taxi and the bell boy said yes. WRONG! Once on our way to our new hotel (The Hilton Gas Lamp District,) the limo driver said that there was a flat fee. I assumed he meant a flat fee to the airport (as I know most big cities have flat fees to the airport) and that our short ride over the bridge would be less. WRONG! We were charged $30 to be taken just over the bridge. It would have been the same fee to go anywhere. We felt REALLY taken by the whole Marriott experience!

In all fairness to the Marriott, I must reiterate that we did not ask them or give them the chance to fix things and make them right. Who knows if they would have or not. We got the impression from their responses that they would not. So, we decided not to bother. Who knows what would have happened if we had.

So, as my title said, this place might be great for a business meeting when you aren't seeking relaxation during the day, but for R & R, consider elsewhere or wait a couple of months until all of their work is complete.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family