We started our 6 week road trip through California with a 5 day stay at Coronado. What an excellent way to start our trip! We got a room at the end of the South Wing on the first floor (Room 194). The room was clean, updated, spacious and the balcony was huge (more like a patio!) with a beautiful view of the downtown San Diego skyline and only steps away from the boardwalk to the Ferry Landing. Our room had two queen beds with a twin sleeper sofa. Even with the sleeper sofa opened for our 10 year old we had plenty of room for a roll-away bed for our 12 year old. We each had our own bed and were very comfortable. The seperate soaker tub in the bathroom was great! The only cons were a very small fridge and no microwave plus the room only came with one robe. What can I say, we fell in love with Marriott Coronado! It is worth getting a room with a view of the San Diego bay. The balconies on the first floor are bigger than the ones on the second floor and the smallest ones are on the third floor. The first night we took the ferry to downtown and saw a Padres game at the Petco Park. They had a special ferry rate of only $3.75 on game night. We took a bicycle taxi from the harbor to the ball park and felt safe walking back to the harbor at 11:00 PM. The second day we rented bikes and biked around and across the "island". We enjoyed visiting the Pacific beach by the Hotel Del Coronado but prefered the view from our hotel at Marriott.
The hotel pool was great. The pool is heated and the kids played in it for hours each day. There was a pool basket ball net and pool volleyball net in the pool and our kids quickly found other kids to play games with. The pool area has a great restaurant, a ping pong table, a chess table, and a relaxing and spacious steamy hot hot tub.
The hotel exceeded our expectations. Self-parking was $22 per day but it was easy to park in the basement with plenty of parking and only a short elevator ride from the room. Here are the only cons we found:
- fitness room and lap pool was only for adults (18 yrs and older); our kids are 10 and 12 and our 12 year old needed to do cardio and weights for his football summer workout schedule. We jogged on the boardwalk and used the nereby picnic and baseball park instead.
- not able to print tickets from our room where we were charged $13/day for internet access. For an additional $13 we could have used the business center instead but didn't want to have to pay for both.
- concierge did not have the best deals; offered tickets to Legoland for 4 for $328 - that is the posted online rate. Stopped by Carl's Jr. and got a coupon and got the kids tickets for free (paid $158 instead of $328). Legoland is not worth over $300 for any family!
Go sailing in the bay! We sailed with www.sailusa11.com for $100/adult and $50/child. The best spent money during our stay in Coronado. An experience for a lifetime!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Marriott Coronado Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Coronado Island Hotel Coronado
- Coronado Marriott