“Beautiful Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
“Beautiful Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2006

Took 5 children and my wife and loved our stay. Absolutely beautiful. Great pool and hot tub, large rooms, and seperate shower (great if more than 2 in the room). Grocery store and restaurants nearby as well as a great beach at Coronado (5 minutes). Only negatives are the beds are better than most but I am spoiled to the Heavenly bed and some of the others. The other is that the place is abit outdated (carpet mainly) but still nice enough as we did not need the room much with the gorgeous weather outside.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2006

This is a great hotel for families with young children because the main pool is HUGE and 3/4th of it is only 3 feet deep! The view from the pool is also beautiful as it overlooks the bay and you can see the sailboats sailing by while you're swimming. The pool side food service was very reasonably priced for families. It served kids meals consisting of hamburgers, hotdogs or chicken tenders along w/ fries and drink for $6.00. Pool side cocktails for the parents were also reasonably priced at $7.00.

There is also a boardwalk along the bay that takes you to a small shopping/fast food village (my 3 year old was able to walk to and from it). We also rented a 6 person bike thing for only $15 for the hour.

Parking was expensive at $22 per night for unlimited in/out privileges. Otherwise it was $17 but no ins and outs. Also, the furniture and bedding in our room was really worn out and the room smelled like room fragrance--the kind you use when you want to mask an odor. Had we paid the full price of $250+ I would have been extremely dissapointed as my room was not worthy of 4 stars. However, I named my own price on priceline and got the room for 2 weekend nights at $130 each night. At that price, there are no complaints, the pool was awesome and the kids had a great time.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lynnwood, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2006

Brought the family here for a tech convention downtown on company dime...that eased the $250/nite cost for two double beds that honestly would change my perception a bit. But I must say, we loved the 4 nights we spent here. First, the view of the bay was breathtaking. The room was spacious, the bathroom was in great condition and had a shower and a bathtub. Fashionistas might not like the aggressive early 80s look and feel of the resort, but it didn't bother me. My wife felt the carpets needed replacement. Service was great.
The ferry ride to downtown was fun. I chatted with many hotel guests - we all felt privileged that we'd chosen to stay out of the hubbub of downtown and for a few dollars more had found a quaint paradise.
Exploring Coronado was great. It's not a tourist scene, apart from the Hotel Del Coronado, so walking around the neighborhoods with cute but pricey bungalows and eating at the restaurants downtown with a millionaire on one side and a surfer on the other was a great way to get a sense of how a certain segment of locals in San Diego live. Oh yeah, we also rented a surrey which is basically big bicycle that looks like a golf cart and pedaled around the island.
If you're a single person, you'll probably want to stay downtown. But for couples and/or families, there is no better, albeit pricey, place. I just hope I have more conventions to attend here in future!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank techconfgoer
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2006

First of all, if you have reservations at this hotel I hope you give serious thought to changing your plans. We just returned from a four day "vacation" at this wanna-be resort to celebrate my 60th birthday along with my son, daughter-in-law, granddaugher, daughter and her boyfriend. If you enjoy using tissue paper thick towels, decaying rooms with torn window treatments, and poor upkeep throughout, then this is your place in the sun. Housekeeping service was non-existent, although all the other services, including their restaurant and outside pool snack bar were serviced by competent,friendly staff. Other staff members kept telling me how management was constantly cutting corners and only ordering items on as as needed basis. They also informed me of monumental employee turnover and lack of adequate staffing. (The general manager just left on 6/9 and there is no new management on site.) It was easy to sense the lack of employee morale, since there was no quality delivered at almost every level. Oh, they are in the process of "redoing" their business center and right now it is not operational, nor do they know when the renovation will be completed. Please understand, I've been taking my family here since the property opened up in July, 1988 as Le Meridien San Diego, so it really pains me to relate this fast fall from grace, but the Coronado Marriott has truly lost it! It's directionless, unless you're on a convention or incentive travel trip, in which case you probably could care less. But for the vacation traveler, do yourself a favor and stay at the Omni in the Gaslamp District. It's fresh, new and has tons of enthusiastic, upbeat staff.

Stayed May 2006
8 Thank elmarko
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2006

We thought this resort was wonderful. Our bay view room was very large, clean and nicely furnished. There was plenty of room for the four of us (2 adults and 2 preschoolers), including plenty of closet and drawer space for our 5-day stay. All the staff members we encountered were friendly and helpful. They met our requests for a crib, a mini-fridge and down-free beds with a smile. The pool is warm and inviting even on 60-degree days. The breakfast buffet was great, and free for children under 5. The Ferry Landing Marketplace is just a short walk away from the resort along a boardwalk/bike path.

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Westlake Village, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2006

My fiance' and I just returned from a weekend stay at this resort. I would give it 3.5 stars out of five. I stay at many hotels and my criteria for rating are based upon ambiance and service versus price. I own a marriott timeshare and travel semi-regularly. Here's a breakdown of what I noticed:

LOCATION-Terrific! Bay view rooms (we had a pond view but it really was of the bay) look directly over the bay to the impressive downtown skyline of San Diego. There are great walking paths that line the shore that we used well. Saturday night we walked to the main street (Orange Ave.) and walked to the other side of the island to the Hotel Del Coronado--which is more ornate and aesthetically impressive. It was about 1.5 miles and took 25 min. each way. I preferred the "serenity" and laid back feel of our resort.

ROOMS: This was good and bad. The good is that the rooms are fairly large compared to the average and have very big patio's with table and chair for relaxing and watching the views. Bed was quite comfy, bathroom was large and Mini-bar was well stocked--though pricey even though no prices were listed. The bad is that the bathroom had the feel of my highschool locker room! The tile was lime green and white and fading! It really seemed like a public pool facility. I felt it should be more modern or at least more charming considering it was $200.00 per night. Room cleaning was adequate.

FOOD/RESTAURANT: Big minus here. L'escale is the main restaurant. It is not too pricey (most entree's under $20) but the Ahi Tuna I had was what I expect to be served to Navy enlisteds. I asked for it med-rare and got mostly grey and dry. It had white beans and cous-cous with it that were dry and just plain nasty. No conscious chef would have let that plate out of the kitchen! The table next to us did not look at all pleased as the service speed was slow. I will say that the server waiting on us was very nice and friendly but his kitchen was really making him look bad. My partners roasted chicken was on the dry side also and the sauce it came in was like gravy--not appealing to the sight or taste buds. We ordered room service once at nearly 11pm and got a simple club sandwich and caesar salad that was fine. (those items are pretty hard to mess up) It came within 15 minutes which was good. However on the final bill we got charged $30.00 too much for it!

GROUNDS/STAFF:

Valet and checkin staff were gracious and eager to please--a bit of polishing wouldn't hurt however. The grounds are nice but the outer walls in the courtyards are beginning to look old and drab--Painting needed. The resort is looking a bit "dated" in general.

Excursion: We took an afternoon trip on Saturday to Puerto Nuevo 30 min. across the border in Mexico. Had a great time eating lobster and drinking Pacifico's. Stuffed ourselves for under $50 including tip! On our way back we got victimized by a crooked cop near the border (corruption is commonplace among cops in this area) I was stopped for passing on the right a car that was going about 25 mph up a three lane hill. I was in no way reckless--probably going about 45 MPH. The cop who didn't speak much english (until he got to the money part) said the fine was $140 and it would effect my record in the States (total BS!) We were one mile from the border and he told us we could follow him back to the station (far away) to pay. My fiance' speaks spanish and employs many who make this trip often and knew exactly what the guy really wanted. He went back to his motorcycle and pulled out his citation book and then went to the passenger side so no onlookers could see the transaction! He let us go after our "contribution" of $60.00! I will also note that this "officer" had on no badge, no nametag, or any sort of identification. He never even removed his dark sunglasses! Be very careful in this area--you are a source of income to these corrupt cops!

OVERALL: Great location and peaceful but it is certainly not a 5 star spot or even a 4 star. Lots of refurbishment and an upgraded chef/quality assurance program is needed. Just average considering what I've experienced at similar price points.

PS- If you have any plans for Oahu in the near future--read my review of the JW Marriott Ihilani titled "THE DEFINITIVE REPORT" on this site. It was posted in July of '05.

• Stayed April 2006
16 Thank Talldarkhandsomest
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2006

We are long time Marriott resort fans and loved our stay here. We had two deluxe bay view rooms and couldn't have been more pleased with them. We loved our patio with the duck pond and fountains directly in front of us. The pool grille was fabulous and the dinner buffet was excellent (loved the lobster!) The breakfast buffet was also great, we loved eating outside. The kids and I enjoyed the gift shop and the fruit flavored water stations, too! Staff was helpful and pleasant. We also loved the surprise fireworks show. We are returning next week for another stay and I can't think of a better place to relax on spring break!

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank rockn6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!