“Great Location, Friendly Service - Unresponsive General Manager” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Member Rates
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Huntington Beach, CA
“Great Location, Friendly Service – Unresponsive General Manager”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

September 18th-20th 2009 – My wife and I spent our anniversary at the Marriott Coronado Island Resort. I have delayed writing this review for a month so that I can be objective.

The Marriott on Coronado Island has a great location overlooking the bay and the San Diego skyline. The rooms are larger than average and are very comfortable. It is a really nice, peaceful resort just minutes from the city.

We had two rooms, #283 and #133, both with views of the bay. Our first room, #283 was on the second floor in the south wing and had two double beds and a small terrace. Our second floor #133 was on the ground level in the north wing and had a king-size bed and a nice patio.

When we checked-in late Friday afternoon room the front desk associate said our room was upgraded to a bay view due to Gold status with Marriott. My wife was impressed, but since our reservation was for a bay view room I was not. Arriving at room 283 with the bellman we found that it had two double beds not a king bed. While the bellman waited I called the front desk and asked why we had not received the king room as was guaranteed by our reservation. While polite, the front desk associate said there were no kings with a bay view available. She offered to change our room the next day. Not wanting to disrupt the evening, we accepted the double room.

Room 283 has a very nice view of the bay and the San Diego skyline through the sliding glass doors and windows. Besides the two double beds, there was a love seat, small table and desk. Across from the beds was a large dresser with a LG high definition TV. Lighting in the room was very good. Between the sleeping area and bathroom is a large vanity with granite top and a lighted magnifying mirror.

The bathroom was large and wonderful. There was a large soaking tub as well as a separate shower. Lighting was excellent and there were plenty of thick towels. The bath amenities were standard Marriott, not labeled for the resort as had been the case in the past. We liked the décor of the bathroom so much that we have since ordered the same wallpaper for one of the bathrooms in our home.

We ordered appetizers from room service to tide us over until dinner, but the appetizers were so large that they became our dinner. Our order arrived in about 20 minutes and was presented nicely. One appetizer was fried calamari and the other was a cheese and fruit plate. Both were excellent and filled us up!

We had the hotels breakfast buffet both mornings which was one of the best aspects of our stay. The omelet chef, Santiago, was just wonderful. My wife and I really enjoyed talking with him as he made excellent omelets both mornings. One of the highlights of our stay was that as we were finishing breakfast Sunday morning he personally brought a breakfast desert omelet to us at our table. What wonderful service.

Late Saturday afternoon we changed rooms, moving from the south wing to the north wing. Our new room, #133 was much more to our liking, with a king bed and a bay view, as we had reserved. Our first room seemed somewhat cramped, with two beds while room 133 seemed very spacious and open. The north wing also seemed quieter overlooking a lawn instead of the swimming pool.

Both of our rooms had Marriott’s new plug in panel which allows the computer display to be viewed on the room TV. This feature did not work in our first room and worked perfectly in our second room. We had brought a DVD to watch and it was much better watching it on the large room TV instead of the small screen on my laptop.

Being a Marriott resort, there is no free coffee in the lobby or a concierge lounge, both amenities that I missed. The lobby bar brewed Starbucks coffee which was, if I remember correctly, $3.00 for a tall regular coffee. I think I spent about $20 for coffee during our two-day stay.

We used self parking which was $16 per day. Parking is under the hotel and accessible by a number of elevators. The garage was clean and well lit.

This was my first Marriott stay in many years where the room type that was guaranteed was not provided. And, while I would have liked to have had a king room for both nights, that is not my complaint. The front desk associate evaded the issue when we checked in. If she would have apologized and let us know up front that a room with a king bed was not available, that would have probably been the end of it. Even worse, in my opinion, is that after returning home I took the time to write a letter to Tim Herman, the General Manager, and he did not have the courtesy to respond.

My wife wants to go back to Marriott’s Coronado Island Resort. We had a wonderful anniversary weekend. Except for the un-Marriott-like service handling my complaint it is a really good hotel. Will I return? I don’t know.

7 Thank LakersFan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Turkish first
San Mateo, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

Stayed for 4 nights with the family just recently; we came to SD to relax, do some sightseeing, visit the Zoo with my son, SeaWorld, etc. This hotel was a perfect combination of convinient and lovely location, clost to everything, yet, not noisy and touristy.. Our room was facing the waterfront, and the views of San Diego skyline right out of our balcony were just spectacular.
A few other details:
rooms - comfortable, large, very clean, with large bathrooms; had to ask for extra towels, but no biggie, since there were 3 of us in the room. our room had a good size sleeper couch for my son, but a roll-away bed was also an option; small frige in the room (very convinient if traveling with a small child).
food in the hotel- we opted for buffet bfst every morning, which had good variety for everyone: eggs, cold cuts, cereals, waffles, etc.. although not cheap ( i beleive about $20/person, kids eat free). we also had lunch by the pool on one of the days, and the food was quite good, even the simple chx sandwich had flavor.
service- it is worth mentioning that everyone was very helpful and friendly; the wait staff knew us by name after the first morning and although i'm sure they see a lot more bus travelers then families, thye made us feel comfortable (those with kids know how awkward it could be to sit in a rest with a small child and be embarrased that he's too loud, in a room full of bus pp).
spa/gym- i made use of the gym every day, it was nothing special, a small area, but enough equipment to get a decent workout; they also offer a group excercise class every morning, which was very convinient and helped me to not fall out of my routine. the spa are was nothing special although clean and with everything you would need, i didn't get any treatments, so i can't speak to that.
parking - vallet or self park under the hotel; it's pricey and we might just park on the street next time. but very convinient, to get out of the car and straight up to your room.
Other - there're a few very nice restaurants by the Del and also walking distance by the Ferry; it's also a great walk; they have everything from pizza, ice cream to nice Italian, sushi, mexican, etc.. we loved the Burger Lounge on Orange av. and a small french place just off Orange, closer to the Del, as well as Village Pizza by the Ferry.
Overall, we had a faboulous and very relaxing stay, will definitely be back (if we can afford it). we found a great deal off-season, in october, and the weather was suprisingly very good.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Visited this resort with some girlfriends for a long weekend. Early check-in was accomodated and we changed rooms with no problem. Spa was wonderful and non-intimidating. Concierge was able to reserve a Saturday night table for 7:30pm with one hour notice at a popular Gaslamp restaurant. Pool had plenty of lounge chairs with comfy cushions. Pool bar staff was fun and had a good, strong pour! We had yummy lunch outside a couple times. Many Coronado shops and restaurants were within walking distance to hotel. Rooms were large, with patios and nice bathrooms with sunken tubs. Cannot think of a request that was denied. Parked the car on the street for free with no problem. Enjoy this wonderful resort!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
kcmo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Our family of 4 stayed here for 7 days in August. The hotel was fine - and in a great location. We rented bikes each day and relaxed on the outdoor dining patio. Our stay included a $60/day food credit. We were disappointed what this could actually buy our family of 4. In general, it was one meal - even if someone shared. Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay. If we went back - we may stay on the other side of the Island - closer to the beach.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dallas,TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Overall a nice stay. The bed was quite comfortable. The hotel has a modern style to it. Every moringing there was a different type of water in the lobby for guests. One day melon, cucumber the next, strawberry the next. All the pools are heated and were a comfortable temperature. The main pool is lit up at night. The jacuzzi was too hot for my taste. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We got a great deal on Priceline for $150/night and we got a view of a small pond. Wasn't bad. We asked about upgrading to the harbor view and they told us we could for $40 more a night. The self-parking costs $22/day which is ridiculous but we parked on the street next to the hotel for free. No problem finding a spot. The hotel has a great view of the Coronado bridge and the harbor from the pool and you can walk along the harbor at night to many nice restaurants. It was only a few miles to the beach. My only complaint about this hotel is that there was only one robe in the room and it was never replaced despite me throwing it on the floor with the towels. They have the "green effort" in effect here for the bed linens and towels if you are into that. Overall, I would stay here again.

• 2 of 5 stars
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Spent a weekend recently at this property, and reserved a bayview room with a balcony so I could just sit and enjoy. While this property does have nice amenities and some of the most polite service in San Diego, the service they actually deliver falls short for a resort.

Here are some examples:

Our room did have a view of a nicely manicured lawn and just beyond that the bay, as promised. Beautiful. But it overlooked the shipyard on the other side of the bay. Ugly. We had visited this property before and know that many rooms have a view of the bay and bridge which is what we thought we would get when we paid extra for the "bay view". No.

Our room reeked of insecticide. Leaving the windows open didn't even help. Whatever caused the smell was cleaned up by housekeeping the next day.

We asked to be moved and were pleasantly told no by an extremely polite front desk clerk.

We asked for extra towels and were pleasantly asked how many. "Three-four or so", we said, and were pleasantly brought exactly three bath towels. Technically met the parameters of our request, but what about face and washcloths? On day two we received no extra towels. The room did have robes as advertised, but only one for the three of us. There were about five or so hangers in the closet for the three of us. I'm sure they would have brought more of both (exactly as many as we asked for), but why have to ask at a resort property?

The room was visibly clean, but filthy in the places not immediately visible. There were very thick layers of dust on top of the fridge, and in the recesses of furniture and shelves.

Housekeeping made up the sofa bed, but did not fold it up. We had to do it ourselves.

Front Desk did not ask how our stay was when we came down to check out, and since this property works off the Deliver Only What is Asked For and Nothing More principle, I didn't offer anything more than what they asked. However, we were charged an extra day's parking ($28) which was very pleasantly taken off when I pointed it out...no apology.

None of these are major issues, but they added up to become an irritant for what was supposed to be a rejuvinating getaway. If other resort properties can get it right, this one can too if they wish.

At least everyone was pleasant and so polite.

1 Thank rather_be
Westwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I'm a young professional with lots of Marriott points & decided to check out Coronado Island during my weekend trip in San Diego. My first impression of this hotel/resort is that it does not feel like a Category 6 as listed on the Marriott website. Customer service was poor; the bell hop ignored me walking up the driveway with my luggage and the front desk was unapologetic as my room keys did not work. Also, the hotel was empty and I was not offered an upgrade with my Marriott status. Pls be aware that this hotel overlooks San Diego and the bay. The hotel has no beach, just a pool nor do they offer shuttle service to the beach. Also, you can skip valet or self-parking and find plenty of free on-street parking. I paid $22 the first night for self-parking then found free parking the next day. What a rip off! Hotel is located off the bayside walkway where restaurants & nightlife are a 10 minute walk to Ferry Landing area. I had a fabulous dinner at Candela's. All in all, the hotel is beautiful and Coronado Island is amazing. I believe this hotel caters to age 55+ or young couples with their first child that are okay hanging by the pool. I would not stay here again. I would target Hotel Coronado b/c it's on the beach & has fabulous restaurants.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank alfredo91480
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Hilton San Diego Bayfront
#65 of 281 in San Diego
4.0 of 5 stars 4,042 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Hotel Coronado Island

Been to Marriott Coronado Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!