“Superb Property”

Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I booked this resort as a 4 day getaway for my girlfried and I. We stayed in one of the separate detached suites adjacent to the main building. The accomodations were amazing and better even than I had hoped for. The full kitchen, dining area, shower, and jet tub were very nice touches. Bed = relaxation! Very comfy, patio chairs and table for taking the scenery on the porch.

Nice marble finishes in the bathroom and an excellent view of the ocean along with a lazy river full of ducks and the occassional swan. Hotel grounds were in awesome condition and very well maintained. Weather was unseasonably cool but didnt damper our getaway.

Located in good range of just about everything Coronado and San Diego have to offer this is a must for anyone looking to escape the cliche hotel experience.

Upon return to San Diego I will gladly choose this property again. The staff were welcoming and very eager to cater to our every need. My partner enjoyed her hot stone massage while I enjoyed some beers at the local Coronado Brewing company. There were excellent places to job and also 2 tennis courts. Breakfast was excellent with a good variety of foods and juices.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 17, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights this week and loved it. In town on business but had a chance to explore the island a little. Great running and bike paths, right on the water, quiet rooms, great beach front 5 minutes away. Tough to beat, especially when the temps were in the 70s in San Diego and in the teens back east (where I live). Very friendly staff, too.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2009

We wanted to get away for the New Year for a relaxing time in a "resort" and experience some great Spa services. I am a Marriott rewards member and have stayed at several Marriott properties. The other reviews didnt address the issues that truly trouble me about this property 1) our room had a distinct musty odor that I could not tolerate 2) the overall condition of the property is best described as "old, tired, and worn" 3) the amenities are not what I would consider spa, everything is very undersized. 4) the so-called Spa is tiny and the fitness room is in horrible shape 5) in the fitness room, there is a sign that says to be quiet because the spa treatment rooms are below it. Poor design and ridiculous. 6) in addition to the room rate, they charge a small fortune for on-site parking which is located in an under building garage with low ceiling and you get to view all the plumbing and waste lines over head as you make your way to an elevator that is in terrible condition - the cab is worn and old - to go to your room. I originally booked this location for four days, and thankfully through the hotels website and did not prepay on a service like Orbitz. We tuffed it out for one sleepless night due to the "musty smell" and then we checked out right away. We left SD and Coronado behind and headed to the OC where we know of decent hotels. The only plus of this property is the staff is friendly.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jmanninglv
Reviewed December 4, 2008

My husband and I both travel quite a bit for work. He had a week-long workshop here at the Marriott and a week in San Diego sounded like a great getaway so I decided to join him with our 8 month old daughter. In other words, our stay was paid for by his work.

The Marriott is easy to find and located in a nice, quiet neighborhood on the south east side of Coronado. We were quickly greeted when we arrived. My husband went to check in while the bellmen unloaded our stuff, which was a lot since I knew I had to be prepared to entertain the baby away from home. They were quick to share local insight and since we had a Yakima box on top of our truck they gave us directions to the taller parking structure by the spa.

We were happy to get to our bayview, second story room in the north building. We could see the bridge and downtown San Diego across the bay. The room was good size to set up "camp" for the week. We had plenty of room for three suitcases, two laptops, a pack and play, baskets of toys and a small cooler (I've noticed that refridgerators aren't as common in rooms as they used to be), the stroller....you get the idea. The bathroom was also very spacious with a soaking tub and a seperate shower. All of the bath goodies were Bath and Body. I only used the lotion because I forgot ours, but I was pleasantly surprised.

My daughter and I spent most of our time on stroller walks around the island (yes, I know, it is really a penninsula). There is a park with a beach, playground and nice playing fields just south of the hotel property (< 2 minutes away) along the walking path. To the north there are a couple of fancy restaurants (which on Tuesday there was a farmer's market in the parking lot) that smelled good each time we walked by and were never filled to capacity. Just a couple steps down there is a little outdoor mall with tourist shops and a handful of restaurants ranging from BK to significantly upscale dining. Just across the street to the west is an Albertson's.

We spent most of our evenings at the Coronado Brewing Company on Orange Ave, just a block north and less than a block to the west of Albertson's. In our week on the island we tried most of their beers and a good selection of their food. It was all very good, with friendly, helpful service. Across the street is a fabulous local market (I think its called Boney's) with an amazing deli (we could have eaten here and been happy the entire time) and a good selection of natural/organic foods (something there is never enough of when you're traveling). We brought salads (so many different kinds) back to the hotel to enjoy on the Marriott lawn with my husband on his lunch break. Oh and there is a great coffee and pastry shop just north of Albertson's called Tartine. It has an inviting all-day menu. They even make their own ice cream!

All of this is a short, pleasant walk from the Marriott. If you're an adventurer and have another half an hour to spend you can walk to the Pacific Ocean and back in that time...okay you might be speed walking, but you could do it. At first I followed the bike route I saw posted at the end of the walking path but I found that all the action is on Orange Ave. There are tons of coffee shops, eateries of all kinds, surf shops, bike stores, flower stores.... And when you get to the other side you'll see the famous Hotel Del Coronado. It is huge! And everything over there is husteling and bustling, which is why I enjoyed visiting but coming back to the calm side of the island to our room. If you'd like to get away from the hustle and bustle just go a block away from Orange Ave and you'll see what a nice neighborhood these folks live in...and virtually no homes for sale.

One thing I noticed about the island, it has a laidback island feel with city drivers...look both ways!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank OV_Rocker
Reviewed November 25, 2008

My spouse and I were looking for a close getaway to celebrate our anniversary and settled on the Marriott Coronado Island Resort. It has a good location on Glorietta Bay and is a nice, flat walk to the ocean.
We were given room 230, which faces the bay, but not quite the city of San Diego across the bay. We were looking at ship yards, I think, and the Coronado Bay Bridge. Rooms 231 and higher have a much better view. Our room was quiet, clean and about average size.
We walked along the concrete path to the Ferry Landing which has some restaurants (Peohe's & El Fornaio, a pizza place, gyros and others) with little shops in between.
There's an Albertson's about a 5 minute walk on 2nd Ave, and other restaurants on Orange, just a few blocks further. The restaurant at the Marriott was not good. We had dinner which was edible, but not worth the price tag.
The staff - each and every person we met-were friendly, warm and happy. Not one person failed to greet us in some way.
We paid $209/night which included self-parking ($22/day value) and $38 towards breakfast.
Overall, it was a nice hotel, not great, but nice.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank San Diego is best
Reviewed October 23, 2008

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Large rooms, great views. Walking distance to shops, food, ferry and more. Internet is extra but that can be expected in this area. Short drive to the other side of the island or SD.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We stayed during Columbus Day weekend and I checked out what my fellow tripadvisors had to say about the hotel before getting there.

We had a Bay View room, which overlooked the pool and boats. It was nice, although we didn't take advantage of sitting outside our patio much.

The room was a decent size with the Marriott signature bed that we love, a separate couch, a desk and chair, and a vanity area as well.

The bathroom was bigger, but not that special. The bathtub size was mentioned pretty often in other reviews, so I came equipped with bubble bath and bath salts. It's a good size for a nice soak, and the separate walk-in shower is nice too. (No shortage of hot water at all!) The Big F noticed a 'wet dog' smell from the shower that he wasn't particularly fond of. I think it was the draining system or something. Their toiletries come from the Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy collection. When we called for more, they came with a huge bag of stuff. (They gave us stuff we didn't originally have and so much of it that they knew we were never going to call them again.)

The flat screen TV was nice, especially since you could swivel it and watch it from the couch, bed, or the bath tub.

There is Wireless available in your room, but for a charge of $9.95/day. There was no free WiFi anywhere else in the hotel unfortunately. (Definitely not business-friendly if they are charging for Internet use.)

Yes, parking is expensive. $22/day or $28/day valet.

The closest supermarket is the Albertsons that is a few blocks away. They close pretty early though, and I think their prices are higher since they are located on Coronado Island. (The front desk offered to open up their shop if I really needed something which was nice of them to.)

We never got a chance to check out the pool, jacuzzi, spa, or the fitness center unfortunately.

Overall, Coronado Island Marriott Resort is a nice hotel, although a bit rundown. It's expensive for what you're getting and I probably wouldn't stay here if I was paying the original price.

3.5 out of 5

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wrldtrvlr8374
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!