“Good hotel on island”

Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed here in July 2012...family with 2 elementary school aged kids. The hotel is clean and although a bit to one end of Coronado Island, convenient 5 minute walk to the main strip. The food is typical Marriott quality...not stellar, but completely acceptable. The service, especially at dinner was very good. Over July 4th they had a great hotel BBQ celebration and held a table for us with a fire pit in the center. Nice atmosphere and would recommend to anyone. I do wish marriott hotels would make their standard rooms with queen beds...doubles stink and it's time to upgrade them all! Lastly, my kids loved the pool!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,427)

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Wonderful hotel on quiet side of Coronado Island. Perfect place to get away from the hussle & bussle. Friendly staff, good facilities, great buffet breakfest- we go back every year, especially nice in the off season when rates are a great value

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ralphw447
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Facing downtown San Diego and watching all the Navy ships go by was fantastic! Our room was large, clean, and had a great balcony. The shower was awesome. There quite a few nice restaurants and shops nearby, and we really enjoyed our meal at Candelas on the Bay. Coronado is one of our favorite places to chill, for sure, and this hotel is a great place to stay. (Almost as good as Glorietta Bay Inn, but not quite.) The restaurant food was decent, but the spa? Oh, my God. First of all, it didn't have a spa "feel" at all. My manicure reminded me of my mummy doing my nails when I was a little girl. Very, VERY amature! I highly doubt she had any training at all. The next day at the airport, the polish peeled completely off! What a waste. My massage was REALLY unrelaxing. How can a massage be unrelaxing? The walls were paper thin, and all I could hear was a man laughing like a water buffalo and a lady chatting with him very loudly the entire time. It wasn't a good massage, either. At the end, it was actually painful when she was gouging her fingers into my armpits (!). I did complain about the annoying noise, and to be fair, they did give me a small discount, but it was not a good experience at all. Stay at this hotel, make sure you have a harbour view, skip the spa.

Room Tip: Harbour view, for sure! Top floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank runaway_with_me
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here in November for two nights during our elopement/honeymoon trip in California. This Marriott was supposed to be our fancy treat of a hotel for our stay, we stayed here on our wedding night and the next night after that, but we couldn't call it much of a treat. At no time before check in (even on the day of) was a single staff member able to guarantee we would be able to check in early even though we had both requested it at the time of reservation and checked with the concierge multiple times before the date of check in, despite my Platinum Reward status with Marriott. Luckily, our room WAS ready at the requested time, but it was frustrating to have to sweat and stress about it until the very last minute.
From here, the only bit of praise we have is for the spa staff, they were STELLER, friendly, excited for our big day and definitely went over and above the call of duty to help make our day special. For the next couple days, the only staff member we interacted with was the same man that brought us breakfast both mornings. We had paid in our hotel reservation for a breakfast package, so we had a tag to fill out and hang outside our room by midnight each night in order to have breakfast brought to our room the next morning. The first morning our breakfast arrived the gentleman that brought it to us came in, set up our breakfast table with a table cloth and full dining set up and placed our full meal out. It was actually pretty great until we handed him back the check, I guess the tip wasn't enough because he rolled his eyes on the way out and the next morning when we got up, no one had grabbed our breakfast order tag the night before so our order hadn't been placed. When he finally showed up with it 45 minutes later than we requested, he didn't even unload the tray, he just set it on the table and left leaving us to unload the entire tray ourselves before we ate our lukewarm late breakfast. The staff reminded us that there would be no charge for this breakfast and we had to remind them that we had PAID for the breakfast package, so there shouldn't be a charge in the first place. The one evening we tried to lay out by the main pool and enjoy drinks at the pool bar, it was closed even though the hours stated they SHOULD be open, so we just went back to our room.

This was a far cry from the high end, high class resort we thought we were paying for when we reserved the room, we were very disappointed and would not choose this hotel again when we revisit Coronado Island.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jesse N
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed at this property for one night last week prior to a conference at the convention center. Like many prior posters, the layout of the rooms was a bit of a challenge especially with jet lag. I was given a room facing the bay with a nice balcony. Although the hotel is a bit older, the rooms are up to date and clean. Mattress was very comfortable and the bathroom was huge.
As a woman travelling alone, I did not like the fact that the rooms are open to the outside. This always makes me feel vulnerable.
The staff is very helpful and friendly. There is a very nice bayside walking trail just outside that actually leads you to the ferry stop and to some shops. I used the hotel restaurant for breakfast and it was very good!

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room but be aware that may be a hike to the main complex
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank EmilyC123
Reviewed December 1, 2012

It's hard to beat Coronado Island, and the Marriott is a more affordable alternative than the Hotel Del. it doesn't have a beach like the Hotel Del but it is on the waterfront path so you can bike or walk anywhere from the hotel. Rooms are comfortable, pool is big and well maintained, food is fine and service is friendly and helpful. Look for deals. Recommended

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank cgbroderick
Reviewed November 26, 2012

First the good news. Grounds were very nice and clean and views to the harbor were good for the rooms that had them. Bar and dining staff were generally friendly and helpful. I ate at the bar area and food (I had fish) was good. Room was adequate but nothing special (probably because I was on the lower floor facing away from the harbor). Deck/lanai area was small and shrubs covered what view they might have been. Bed was new and TV was a flat screen.

Now the rest. The rooms here are spread out over a large area based on the narrow long property it occupies so depending on where your room is, you may have a hike back to the lobby and bar/dining areas. This was case for me as I was at the end of the rooms. The refrigerator was not functional in the room. I tried other plugs and no compressor sound or cooling. Front desk questioned my diagnosis rather than just troubleshooting or replacing. WiFi signal was poor (probably since I was at the end of the place).

Value Items. Happy hour at bar was OK (prices and selection) but you could not take a drink out to the outdoor dining area from the bar, so it was only 'happy' at the bar. Parking was sky high with $24 per night for self-parking and $29 per night for valet. Used valet and when I went to find someone the next morning, no one was around to retrieve my car. I finally tracked down a guy about 5 minutes later to collect my car.

The pool area looked nice but did not use it during this visit.

Overall, the property was decent for a Marriott but nothing compared to other Coronado properties like 'the Del' or San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina. Will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you find yourself staying here request and second floor harbor facing room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ColdCorona
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
El Cordova Hotel
#8 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!