“Fantastic”

Bungalow Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Bungalow Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Macarthur
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Love this place! Go for the filet...stay for the lamb lollipops and corn chowder too! Not a mistake!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I met a friend for dinner at the Bungalow last week. We used to go more often, as it had been my husband's favorite place in the area, but we stopped going several years ago as we noticed a decline in the food quality and uneven service.

Nothing has changed. We had good service, as our favorite server, Linda, helped us. But we still waited too long for water and had to ask twice for bread. We noticed other tables with similar complaints.

The food was just average. Our friend and I ordered the sea bass, which was described as being Asian influenced with miso, but we didn't taste even a hint of miso--nor find much Asian influence other than the tasteless noodles thrown over our fish. It was terribly salty and way too buttery for our tastes. Presentation was poor, to boot. My husband did enjoy his swordfish, however.

The ambience of the restaurant has also diminished, in my estimation. Years ago, it felt somewhat swank yet old-school. Now it just seems like a bar scene with a decent restaurant. The bar area where you walk in is loud and clamorous, and the noise spreads into the adjacent dining area.

For the money, I'd go to Gulfstream across the street--slightly better food and service but with much better design and decor. The Bungalow looks and feels tired, and its food quality is not on par with its prices. I won't be returning anytime soon.

2  Thank Bill R
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I really enjoyed the Bungalow Restaurant! It is a quiet place, very elegant, but in a casual way. The service was outstanding, and the food was excellent! It is a great place for a very nice, quiet dinner. I was here with friends I hadn't seen in a while, and we were able talk and enjoy a great meal without a lot of distractions. I had blackened salmon, and it was perfect. A great place, I'd highly recommend it!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I moved to Newport Beach and heard numerous locals say how nice it was to eat at the Bungalow. Though the bread came out hot (finally) and the butter soft, from there it went down hill. It's not bad - so if you want an overpriced average meal - then have at it. If you dressed up a Ruby's diner, then voila - you have the Bungalow.

1  Thank AlohaScubaguy
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Great surf and turf and smart service - the wine is unbelievably expensive - cocktails are cheaper - booths are fun to sit in